IACMC MILITARIA FORUM

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

2 posters

Slightly Modified 1959 Denison Smock

KommandoPost
    Junior Sergeant
    Junior Sergeant

Registration date : 2014-02-03
    Number of posts : 87

Slightly Modified 1959 Denison Smock Empty Slightly Modified 1959 Denison Smock

Post by KommandoPost Thu Jan 01, 2015 7:08 am

I received this smock recently.  
    Slightly Modified 1959 Denison Smock 1959de10

Slightly Modified 1959 Denison Smock 1959de11

Slightly Modified 1959 Denison Smock Deniso12

Slightly Modified 1959 Denison Smock Deniso13

It has a few unusual features:  

First, the lower pockets don't close with metal snaps.  Instead, they close with velcro.  The metal snap half on the outside flap is just there for show and appears to be glued to the smock with a pillar of glue.  
    Slightly Modified 1959 Denison Smock Deniso11

Second, there appears to be some snaps replaced, specifically those of the bottom 2 pockets, since some appear to be made of brass, and the green paint that usually is on the normal snaps has been stripped off all of the snaps.  The smock also smelled strongly like toxic chemicals when I first opened the package.  I had to hand wash it to remove the smell, which resulted in a minor verdigris growth on the bottom 2 snaps and part of the zipper, which showed that they were likely brass.  That is all cleaned up now (see the removing corrosion thread, https://iacmc.forumotion.com/t598-removing-corrosion).  
    Slightly Modified 1959 Denison Smock Snapbe10

The snaps on the tail are also 2 different sizes.  
    Slightly Modified 1959 Denison Smock Crotch10

Anyone know what's up with it?  I suspect at one point it might have been used in a WW2 reenactment since I heard that they were once used as stand-ins for actual smocks since they were once much more common, and because I've seen repro smocks on eBay with buttons (and snaps?) replaced in a similar manner to my smock by velcro for easier access.
    Gulf91
    Colonel
    Colonel

Registration date : 2011-05-13
    Number of posts : 3858

Slightly Modified 1959 Denison Smock Empty Re: Slightly Modified 1959 Denison Smock

Post by Gulf91 Thu Jan 01, 2015 10:16 am

Probably just a case of poppers getting damaged and replaced with what was available at the time.

Current date/time is Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:53 am