THE HELMET THREAD

    Share

    Gulf91
    Colonel
    Colonel

    Age : 45
    Location : Wales
    Registration date : 2011-05-13
    Number of posts : 3703

    THE HELMET THREAD

    Post by Gulf91 on Sun Nov 10, 2013 10:18 am


















    Easy Gee
    Colonel
    Colonel

    Name : Gary
    Age : 47
    Location : UK
    Registration date : 2010-06-12
    Number of posts : 3591

    Re: THE HELMET THREAD

    Post by Easy Gee on Sun Nov 10, 2013 3:53 pm

    South African M51 very nice Gulf, unusual to see one with a green sweatband, and fabric liner chinstrap?


    Do you know what the significance of the red triangle is?

    J hero that's one hellova name too!

    Gulf91
    Colonel
    Colonel

    Age : 45
    Location : Wales
    Registration date : 2011-05-13
    Number of posts : 3703

    Re: THE HELMET THREAD

    Post by Gulf91 on Tue Nov 12, 2013 9:05 am

    Any ideas please,no markings or stamps. Thought possibly French but cannot find any pics etc to ID it.

    Thanks












    Easy Gee
    Colonel
    Colonel

    Name : Gary
    Age : 47
    Location : UK
    Registration date : 2010-06-12
    Number of posts : 3591

    Re: THE HELMET THREAD

    Post by Easy Gee on Fri Nov 15, 2013 3:53 pm

    Any ideas please,no markings or stamps. Thought possibly French but cannot find any pics etc to ID it.


    Very nice Gulf, it's a Model 65 ( Sub-Radio Headset tank model 65) I have one of these , but not with the the radio headset..bonus8) 


    Gulf91
    Colonel
    Colonel

    Age : 45
    Location : Wales
    Registration date : 2011-05-13
    Number of posts : 3703

    Re: THE HELMET THREAD

    Post by Gulf91 on Fri Nov 15, 2013 4:03 pm

    Easy Gee wrote:Any ideas please,no markings or stamps. Thought possibly French but cannot find any pics etc to ID it.


    Very nice Gulf, it's a Model 65 ( Sub-Radio Headset tank model 65) I have one of these , but not with the the radio headset..bonus8) 

    Cheers Gary,is it French? Couldnt find any info or pics anywhere.

    Thanks

    Easy Gee
    Colonel
    Colonel

    Name : Gary
    Age : 47
    Location : UK
    Registration date : 2010-06-12
    Number of posts : 3591

    Re: THE HELMET THREAD

    Post by Easy Gee on Sat Nov 16, 2013 9:28 am

    Gulf91 wrote:
    Easy Gee wrote:Any ideas please,no markings or stamps. Thought possibly French but cannot find any pics etc to ID it.


    Very nice Gulf, it's a Model 65 ( Sub-Radio Headset tank model 65) I have one of these , but not with the the radio headset..bonus8) 

    Cheers Gary,is it French? Couldnt find any info or pics anywhere.

    Thanks

    Check out this site Gulf.

    http://www.world-war-helmets.com/fiche.php?q=Casque-Francais-Tankiste-Mle-65

    Gulf91
    Colonel
    Colonel

    Age : 45
    Location : Wales
    Registration date : 2011-05-13
    Number of posts : 3703

    Re: THE HELMET THREAD

    Post by Gulf91 on Sat Nov 16, 2013 2:37 pm

    Easy Gee wrote:
    Gulf91 wrote:
    Easy Gee wrote:Any ideas please,no markings or stamps. Thought possibly French but cannot find any pics etc to ID it.


    Very nice Gulf, it's a Model 65 ( Sub-Radio Headset tank model 65) I have one of these , but not with the the radio headset..bonus8) 

    Cheers Gary,is it French? Couldnt find any info or pics anywhere.

    Thanks
    Check out this site Gulf.

    http://www.world-war-helmets.com/fiche.php?q=Casque-Francais-Tankiste-Mle-65
    Many Thanks Gary,thats a new site on me.

    Cheers

    Easy Gee
    Colonel
    Colonel

    Name : Gary
    Age : 47
    Location : UK
    Registration date : 2010-06-12
    Number of posts : 3591

    Re: THE HELMET THREAD

    Post by Easy Gee on Sun Nov 17, 2013 7:12 am

    "Many Thanks Gary,thats a new site on me.

    Cheers"

    Your welcome mate, always glad to help fellow helmet collectors;) 

    Gulf91
    Colonel
    Colonel

    Age : 45
    Location : Wales
    Registration date : 2011-05-13
    Number of posts : 3703

    Re: THE HELMET THREAD

    Post by Gulf91 on Sun Nov 17, 2013 7:16 am

    One thing I was wondering was it worn as a stand alone helmet or was the M51 worn on top of it for added protection?

    Easy Gee
    Colonel
    Colonel

    Name : Gary
    Age : 47
    Location : UK
    Registration date : 2010-06-12
    Number of posts : 3591

    Re: THE HELMET THREAD

    Post by Easy Gee on Sun Nov 17, 2013 9:29 am

    Gulf91 wrote:One thing I was wondering was it worn as a stand alone helmet or was the M51 worn on top of it for added protection?
    Good question, I have read in reference books that even it was designed to fit inside and be worn with the M51 shell on top, I do not believe this was common practise. Equally I have read in said books these were worn by FFL as standalone helmets.

    I don't think I have ever managed to find any decent pictures of these in use other than the site I recommended,which is frustrating for us collectors Wink

    Gulf91
    Colonel
    Colonel

    Age : 45
    Location : Wales
    Registration date : 2011-05-13
    Number of posts : 3703

    Re: THE HELMET THREAD

    Post by Gulf91 on Sun Nov 17, 2013 9:34 am

    Aye,until that link I had only ever seen pics of the earlier type.

    Gulf91
    Colonel
    Colonel

    Age : 45
    Location : Wales
    Registration date : 2011-05-13
    Number of posts : 3703

    Re: THE HELMET THREAD

    Post by Gulf91 on Mon Nov 18, 2013 3:30 pm




    Easy Gee
    Colonel
    Colonel

    Name : Gary
    Age : 47
    Location : UK
    Registration date : 2010-06-12
    Number of posts : 3591

    Re: THE HELMET THREAD

    Post by Easy Gee on Thu Nov 21, 2013 2:36 pm

    Great reference pictures Gulf, lot's of period detail,thanks for showing!

    Gulf91
    Colonel
    Colonel

    Age : 45
    Location : Wales
    Registration date : 2011-05-13
    Number of posts : 3703

    Re: THE HELMET THREAD

    Post by Gulf91 on Thu Nov 21, 2013 2:44 pm

    Youre welcome Gary,feel a dumbass as have owned the book the pics were in for around 10 years!!

    Gulf91
    Colonel
    Colonel

    Age : 45
    Location : Wales
    Registration date : 2011-05-13
    Number of posts : 3703

    Re: THE HELMET THREAD

    Post by Gulf91 on Fri Nov 22, 2013 9:37 am














    Easy Gee
    Colonel
    Colonel

    Name : Gary
    Age : 47
    Location : UK
    Registration date : 2010-06-12
    Number of posts : 3591

    Re: THE HELMET THREAD

    Post by Easy Gee on Fri Nov 22, 2013 3:24 pm

    Interesting German helmets Gulf, sadly most of the pictures are missing ( forum glitch !) but the "Green" coloured helmet has what appears to be remnants of a stud, which makes me think it was originally a West German border guard piece?

    The SS badge is not right, but frustratingly  I cannot comment further as again most of the pictures are not present ( forum glitch again)

    I do not seem to be able to attach a smiley or whatever to the end of my text...very frustrating for us both !!!! Wink

    What's the story behind them, film props or similar ?

    Gulf91
    Colonel
    Colonel

    Age : 45
    Location : Wales
    Registration date : 2011-05-13
    Number of posts : 3703

    Re: THE HELMET THREAD

    Post by Gulf91 on Fri Nov 22, 2013 3:31 pm

    Think they are both post war Finnish helmets done up by a reenactor??

    Gulf91
    Colonel
    Colonel

    Age : 45
    Location : Wales
    Registration date : 2011-05-13
    Number of posts : 3703

    Re: THE HELMET THREAD

    Post by Gulf91 on Sat Nov 23, 2013 5:32 am

    Easy Gee wrote:Interesting German helmets Gulf, sadly most of the pictures are missing ( forum glitch !) but the "Green" coloured helmet has what appears to be remnants of a stud, which makes me think it was originally a West German border guard piece?

    The SS badge is not right, but frustratingly  I cannot comment further as again most of the pictures are not present ( forum glitch again)

    I do not seem to be able to attach a smiley or whatever to the end of my text...very frustrating for us both !!!! Wink

    What's the story behind them, film props or similar ?
    Dont collect SS items but am interested in what way the decal is wrong Gary?

    Easy Gee
    Colonel
    Colonel

    Name : Gary
    Age : 47
    Location : UK
    Registration date : 2010-06-12
    Number of posts : 3591

    Re: THE HELMET THREAD

    Post by Easy Gee on Sat Nov 23, 2013 8:57 am


    "Dont collect SS items but am interested in what way the decal is wrong Gary"?

    The respray covering the helmet is hiding the detail, but the runes do not look original to me,but like you I do not collect SS stuff!

    I did a bit of research on your behalf ,in 1957 the Finnish bought 20,000 M 35/53 from the West Germans,which was my original hunch, the liners do not look Finnish either way.

    Gulf91
    Colonel
    Colonel

    Age : 45
    Location : Wales
    Registration date : 2011-05-13
    Number of posts : 3703

    Re: THE HELMET THREAD

    Post by Gulf91 on Sat Nov 23, 2013 2:23 pm

    http://www.warhistoryonline.com/war-articles/cache-of-dreams-thousands-of-german-made-helmets-discovered-in-finland.html

    http://www.ima-usa.com/original-german-m40-wwii-type-steel-helmet-finnish-m40-55-contract-4465.html

    thunderchild
    Senior Sergeant
    Senior Sergeant

    Age : 44
    Location : uk
    Registration date : 2013-04-21
    Number of posts : 344

    Re: THE HELMET THREAD

    Post by thunderchild on Sun Nov 24, 2013 5:41 am

    gulf are these designated finnish m55's if they are i would imagine a couple of liner rivits have been blanked off ,its possible the paint is hidding this ,you might see this better from the inside ,i too see the removed west german stud in the crown on the od one ,the liner reminds me of the austrian stahlhelm 1 ,and i see the chinstraps are sewn direct to the liner ,is the ss a decal or spray painted? i like the chicken wired finish and texture on the other one , any chance of a better picture of the complete shell ,the quality of the rolled edge does give cause for concern on the grey one ,normally an indication of a modern reproduction but i could be wrong

    Easy Gee
    Colonel
    Colonel

    Name : Gary
    Age : 47
    Location : UK
    Registration date : 2010-06-12
    Number of posts : 3591

    Re: THE HELMET THREAD

    Post by Easy Gee on Sun Nov 24, 2013 8:47 am

    Gulf91 wrote:http://www.warhistoryonline.com/war-articles/cache-of-dreams-thousands-of-german-made-helmets-discovered-in-finland.html

    http://www.ima-usa.com/original-german-m40-wwii-type-steel-helmet-finnish-m40-55-contract-4465.html

    Wow, that is the most amazing collection of lids I have seen in a very long time , could make a killing with that lot:shock: 

    Gulf91
    Colonel
    Colonel

    Age : 45
    Location : Wales
    Registration date : 2011-05-13
    Number of posts : 3703

    Re: THE HELMET THREAD

    Post by Gulf91 on Sun Nov 24, 2013 8:52 am

    Yep,lucky lucky chap.

    Gulf91
    Colonel
    Colonel

    Age : 45
    Location : Wales
    Registration date : 2011-05-13
    Number of posts : 3703

    Re: THE HELMET THREAD

    Post by Gulf91 on Thu Dec 05, 2013 9:20 am

    A long shot I know but does anybody know of any suppliers/sellers or does anybody have a couple of the rubber mushroom type plugs that hold the liners in place in British Mk6,6A helmets?

    Many Thanks

    Easy Gee
    Colonel
    Colonel

    Name : Gary
    Age : 47
    Location : UK
    Registration date : 2010-06-12
    Number of posts : 3591

    Re: THE HELMET THREAD

    Post by Easy Gee on Fri Dec 06, 2013 5:45 pm

    Gulf91 wrote:A long shot I know but does anybody know of any suppliers/sellers or does anybody have a couple of the rubber mushroom type plugs that hold the liners in place in British Mk6,6A helmets?

    Many Thanks
    Blimey that's a request and half, I have never known at least on the surplus market to have ever seen any...anywhere!

    I assume you need to replace some on a helmet, there might be another "bodge" to get around this!

    Sponsored content

    Re: THE HELMET THREAD

    Post by Sponsored content Today at 7:11 pm


      Current date/time is Wed Dec 07, 2016 7:11 pm