Italian Helmet Cover Help

    Share

    abefroman
    Sergeant
    Sergeant

    Location : USA
    Registration date : 2014-09-26
    Number of posts : 212

    Italian Helmet Cover Help

    Post by abefroman on Thu Jul 16, 2015 10:23 pm

    I have this Italian helmet which I'm pretty sure is an M33 but I can't figure out the cover. It looks like San Marco pattern but it is too small to fit my helmet, evne though my helmet is a small. Is this cover for a different helmet?







    avatar
    Wolverine
    Senior Lieutenant
    Senior Lieutenant

    Name : Andrew
    Location : Canada
    Registration date : 2014-01-18
    Number of posts : 825

    Re: Italian Helmet Cover Help

    Post by Wolverine on Fri Jul 17, 2015 1:20 pm

    Probably that cover was made for the airborne helmet?

    abefroman
    Sergeant
    Sergeant

    Location : USA
    Registration date : 2014-09-26
    Number of posts : 212

    Re: Italian Helmet Cover Help

    Post by abefroman on Fri Jul 17, 2015 7:12 pm

    Wolverine wrote:Probably that cover was made for the airborne helmet?

    Was the airborne helmet that much smaller and would the San Marco guys even wear it?
    avatar
    Wolverine
    Senior Lieutenant
    Senior Lieutenant

    Name : Andrew
    Location : Canada
    Registration date : 2014-01-18
    Number of posts : 825

    Re: Italian Helmet Cover Help

    Post by Wolverine on Sun Jul 19, 2015 3:23 am

    I don't know about San Marco, but the cover looks like the right profile for the airborne helmet.
    avatar
    ripcord
    Lieutenant Colonel
    Lieutenant Colonel

    Location : USA
    Registration date : 2012-12-29
    Number of posts : 1737

    Re: Italian Helmet Cover Help

    Post by ripcord on Sun Jul 19, 2015 11:43 am

    The cover looks like it could fit on type M42 Italian Para helmets.

    Consorzio Liguria is /was a contractor to the Italian navy.

    Considering their  relative small number of airborne slots, it's likely the cover is a scarce  and desirable piece.
     
    The manufacturing date is 1988; a few years before the M29 pattern was retired..

    S

    abefroman
    Sergeant
    Sergeant

    Location : USA
    Registration date : 2014-09-26
    Number of posts : 212

    Re: Italian Helmet Cover Help

    Post by abefroman on Mon Jul 20, 2015 5:07 pm

    ripcord wrote:The cover looks like it could fit on type M42 Italian Para helmets.

    Consorzio Liguria is /was a contractor to the Italian navy.

    Considering their  relative small number of airborne slots, it's likely the cover is a scarce  and desirable piece.
     
    The manufacturing date is 1988; a few years before the M29 pattern was retired..

    S

    Very interesting. Were the para helmets that much smaller? Since they were a contractor to the Navy, do you think this would probably be for the San Marco Marines?
    avatar
    ripcord
    Lieutenant Colonel
    Lieutenant Colonel

    Location : USA
    Registration date : 2012-12-29
    Number of posts : 1737

    Re: Italian Helmet Cover Help

    Post by ripcord on Mon Jul 20, 2015 9:27 pm

    Here is a '60s-'70s Italian M42 type Para helmet.
     
    I believe they were the last steel type helmet issued to the Italian armed forces.

    Notice the distinct differences compared to  M33 type helmets.

                                                 


    There is more than a good chance that  the helmet cover you have could have  been issued to COMSUBIN, not SMM.  

    Italian Marines do have a  recon and demo company who is parachute qualified so I suppose it could have been issued to SMM, but since  all COMSUBIN  personnel are  parachute qualified , it is more likely  that it is a COMSUBIN issued item.


    Either way, really cool piece...



    S




    S

    abefroman
    Sergeant
    Sergeant

    Location : USA
    Registration date : 2014-09-26
    Number of posts : 212

    Re: Italian Helmet Cover Help

    Post by abefroman on Mon Jul 20, 2015 9:46 pm

    ripcord wrote:Here is a '60s-'70s Italian M42 type Para helmet.
     
    I believe they were the last steel type helmet issued to the Italian armed forces.

    Notice the distinct differences compared to  M33 type helmets.

                                                                              


    There is more than a good chance that  the helmet cover you have could have  been issued to COMSUBIN, not SMM.  

    Italian Marines do have a  recon and demo company who is parachute qualified so I suppose it could have been issued to SMM, but since  all COMSUBIN  personnel are  parachute qualified , it is more likely  that it  is a COMSUBIN issued item.


    Either way, really cool piece...

    S

    S

    Great info, thanks! Now i just need to get an M42 and see if it fits. Are they expensive?
    avatar
    ripcord
    Lieutenant Colonel
    Lieutenant Colonel

    Location : USA
    Registration date : 2012-12-29
    Number of posts : 1737

    Re: Italian Helmet Cover Help

    Post by ripcord on Tue Jul 21, 2015 12:44 am

    Found these images today:


    AT : http://www.militarymodelling.com/sites/1/images/member_albums/36506/italian%20paratroop%20three-colour%20disruptive.jpg



    Not really certain of M42 Para helmet values but prices for Italian helmets are all over the place : depending on vintage and provenance they range from dead cheap to outrageously expensive..



    S
    avatar
    baldo
    Corporal
    Corporal

    Name : simone
    Age : 40
    Location : Italy
    Registration date : 2013-06-01
    Number of posts : 17

    Re: Italian Helmet Cover Help

    Post by baldo on Tue Feb 09, 2016 6:15 pm

    San Marco cover for m33

    http://i68.servimg.com/u/f68/18/33/71/88/27816611.jpg
    San Marco cover maybe Comsubin too covers for M42/60 usually are size 3 (small)

    abefroman
    Sergeant
    Sergeant

    Location : USA
    Registration date : 2014-09-26
    Number of posts : 212

    Re: Italian Helmet Cover Help

    Post by abefroman on Wed Feb 10, 2016 2:54 pm

    baldo wrote:


    Wow thanks for the information. Are these 3 covers all San Marco/ Comsubin?
    avatar
    baldo
    Corporal
    Corporal

    Name : simone
    Age : 40
    Location : Italy
    Registration date : 2013-06-01
    Number of posts : 17

    Re: Italian Helmet Cover Help

    Post by baldo on Wed Feb 10, 2016 5:00 pm

    All 3 covers are San Marco or comsubin pattern but there aren't photographic evidence of use of these covers and helmets of M42/60 with anchor stencil.

    abefroman
    Sergeant
    Sergeant

    Location : USA
    Registration date : 2014-09-26
    Number of posts : 212

    Re: Italian Helmet Cover Help

    Post by abefroman on Wed Feb 10, 2016 6:09 pm

    baldo wrote:All 3 covers are San Marco or comsubin pattern but there aren't photographic evidence of use of these covers and helmets of M42/60 with anchor stencil.

    All 3 used during same years?
    avatar
    baldo
    Corporal
    Corporal

    Name : simone
    Age : 40
    Location : Italy
    Registration date : 2013-06-01
    Number of posts : 17

    Re: Italian Helmet Cover Help

    Post by baldo on Thu Feb 11, 2016 6:43 pm

    Only one cover has label but it's the same of your , in same pictures can you see both colors variations.
    Libano 83-84

    Training in Capo Teulada

    abefroman
    Sergeant
    Sergeant

    Location : USA
    Registration date : 2014-09-26
    Number of posts : 212

    Re: Italian Helmet Cover Help

    Post by abefroman on Wed Feb 24, 2016 6:00 pm

    baldo wrote:Only one cover has label but it's the same of your , in same pictures can you see both colors variations.
    Libano 83-84

    Training in Capo Teulada

    Great pictures! Thank you!

    Sponsored content

    Re: Italian Helmet Cover Help

    Post by Sponsored content


      Current date/time is Sun Oct 22, 2017 8:03 pm