IACMC MILITARIA FORUM

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

3 posters

Yet another BGS? Sumpftarn Jacket-A bit different this time.

Gulf91
    Colonel
    Colonel

Registration date : 2011-05-13
    Number of posts : 3858

Yet another BGS? Sumpftarn Jacket-A bit different this time. Empty Yet another BGS? Sumpftarn Jacket-A bit different this time.

Post by Gulf91 Mon Sep 21, 2015 2:58 pm

Know I shouldnt as trying my best not to buy more stuff and seriously downsize my collection but couldnt resist as this one is a bit different to what I have already.

PC/Camera still playing up so at the moment cannot post up any pics.

Buttoned front,4 flapped front pockets as per usual,reinforced elbows,no sleeve pocket. Has flapped sort of vents to front and rear. Has a buttoned on hood and to the front either side of the top flap button are 2 small buttons either side. 1 metal D ring to rear of jacket. Inside has a buttoned tape waist adjuster,small field dressing pocket to lower right skirt and 1 inside chest pocket to the left with the only markings I can find inked to it VULKAN V/59 BGS.

Any ideas please?

Many Thanks
    fourtycoats
    fourtycoats
    Sergeant Major
    Sergeant Major

Registration date : 2010-01-13
    Number of posts : 446

Yet another BGS? Sumpftarn Jacket-A bit different this time. Empty Re: Yet another BGS? Sumpftarn Jacket-A bit different this time.

Post by fourtycoats Mon Sep 21, 2015 4:49 pm

It is Mr Spock's smock.
    CollectinSteve
    CollectinSteve
    ADMIN
    ADMIN

Registration date : 2009-03-08
    Number of posts : 6906

Yet another BGS? Sumpftarn Jacket-A bit different this time. Empty Re: Yet another BGS? Sumpftarn Jacket-A bit different this time.

Post by CollectinSteve Tue Sep 22, 2015 1:59 am

Hehe Very Happy

This is a standard 1st Model jacket made in May 1959 by Vulkan, which was a big producer of this stuff. It was made from 1958 to 1962, after which Sumpftarn production took a vacation for 5 years. The camo pattern is slightly different than the 2nd Model made from 1967 until 1975 when Sumpftarn was discontinued for good. The primary differences between 1st and 2nd Model cuts is that 1st Model had no arm pocket, 1 D-ring, and a button on hood, 2nd Model had the arm pocket, 2 D-rings, and no button on hood.

1st Model jackets in very good condition, good size, and all buttons are very difficult to find. You should be able to get around EUR 100 for it without hood, EUR 120 with. Sometimes eBay buyers go nuts and it goes for significantly more, but it shouldn't go for much less IMHO. Even in fairly poor condition with buttons missing (sadly, a common thing!) they are worth more than a mint 2nd Model jacket.

Steve
    Gulf91
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post by Gulf91 Tue Sep 22, 2015 3:02 am

Thanks Steve for the identification. Its complete in used condition with hood. Has a tear at the rear which im trying to figure out the best way of repairing,a stitched repair or as the tear is quite clean,was thinking of gluing a patch to the inside.

Thanks
    CollectinSteve
    CollectinSteve
    ADMIN
    ADMIN

Post by CollectinSteve Tue Sep 22, 2015 3:09 am

My advise is to leave it "as is". Some collectors (I am one of them!) prefer to have uniforms in as original condition as possible, including damage. Saves you some effort too.

Steve
    Gulf91
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post by Gulf91 Tue Sep 22, 2015 3:17 am

Good idea Steve. my only concern being that it could do with a wash in the machine and worrried that the tear may spread or get worse through washing or again,should it be left in its dirty condition?
    Gulf91
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post by Gulf91 Tue Sep 22, 2015 2:28 pm

Just noticed I think I have posted this in the wrong place-Sorry.

Just found a size 52 tag.

Also,does anybody know of a supplier or Ebay seller of suitable shoudler boards for these types of jackets please as now have a few without and would finish them off nicely. Do not want to spend a lot on them so the cheaper the better-Thanks
    CollectinSteve
    CollectinSteve
    ADMIN
    ADMIN

Post by CollectinSteve Tue Sep 22, 2015 6:56 pm

If it needs a wash, I say do it by hand in mild temperature water with a minimum of a non-aggressive detergent (i.e. doesn't smell like an explosion at a chemical scent company Wink).

The original production run of these jackets lacked provisions for shoulder rank, but a large number of old stock was retrofitted whenever the regs changed (1959 or 1960 IIRC). A number of different methods were used, some more factory looking than others.

Rank and buttons aren't that hard to find on eBay. Do you need the buttons? 17mm silver pebble type. Cost isn't bad for these. What you need is rank that has the soft felt straps vs. the stiff plastic reinforced type. The latter will not fit.

Here's some that are correct, for sale, and decent priced:

http://www.ebay.de/itm/Schulterstucke-Dienstgradabzeichen-Bundesgrenzschutz-1951-1971-Meister-i-BGS-/261997498050?hash=item3d00448ec2

Steve
    Gulf91
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post by Gulf91 Wed Sep 23, 2015 2:56 am

Thanks Steve,will check them out.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:16 am