G3 magazine pouches - BW versus Danish manufacture

    Share
    avatar
    Wolverine
    Junior Lieutenant
    Junior Lieutenant

    Name : Andrew
    Location : Canada
    Registration date : 2014-01-18
    Number of posts : 680

    G3 magazine pouches - BW versus Danish manufacture

    Post by Wolverine on Sun Nov 01, 2015 2:11 pm

    I was recently discussing this subject with another forum member. It is possible that the Danish forces used West German magazine pouches for the G3, but there were also Danish-made pouches. The colour and hardware are different, and the Danish pouch (on the right) has a Danish NSN (dated 1990), while the German pouch (on the left) has a German one. Otherwise, these pouches seem to be made from more or less the same drawings.




    Detail of studs for flap closure:
    avatar
    Wolverine
    Junior Lieutenant
    Junior Lieutenant

    Name : Andrew
    Location : Canada
    Registration date : 2014-01-18
    Number of posts : 680

    Re: G3 magazine pouches - BW versus Danish manufacture

    Post by Wolverine on Sun Nov 01, 2015 2:16 pm

    German markings:

    Danish markings:

    abefroman
    Junior Sergeant
    Junior Sergeant

    Location : USA
    Registration date : 2014-09-26
    Number of posts : 168

    Re: G3 magazine pouches - BW versus Danish manufacture

    Post by abefroman on Sun Nov 01, 2015 4:37 pm

    thanks for the post. that explains all the pictures of Danish troops with "German" pouches. How difficult are the Danish ones to find? And was this their only G3 pouch?
    avatar
    Wolverine
    Junior Lieutenant
    Junior Lieutenant

    Name : Andrew
    Location : Canada
    Registration date : 2014-01-18
    Number of posts : 680

    Re: G3 magazine pouches - BW versus Danish manufacture

    Post by Wolverine on Sun Nov 01, 2015 6:05 pm

    I think that they are not common to find outside of Denmark - that is where my few examples came from. I have never seen them elsewhere.

    Presumably one could also carry G3 mags in the ambidextrous pouches (as below), and somewhere I think I have a picture of soldiers wearing one German-style pouch and one ambidextrous pouch (need to find it to confirm).

    avatar
    fallout
    Corporal
    Corporal

    Name : Luke
    Age : 19
    Location : USA
    Registration date : 2015-01-13
    Number of posts : 30

    Re: G3 magazine pouches - BW versus Danish manufacture

    Post by fallout on Sun Nov 01, 2015 6:33 pm

    Thanks for posting. I like the color on the Danish ones much better than on the German ones.
    avatar
    CollectinSteve
    ADMIN
    ADMIN

    Location : New England, US
    Registration date : 2009-03-08
    Number of posts : 5743

    Re: G3 magazine pouches - BW versus Danish manufacture

    Post by CollectinSteve on Mon Nov 02, 2015 4:05 am

    The German ones are from the 1960s through the 1970s, as far as I know.  After that they switched from the laminated type to a solid soft plastic type.  The laminated type is, IMHO, vastly superior to the solid type.

    I have pictures of Danes wearing this type of mag pouch in 1997. The earliest mag pouch in Flecktarn I've seen is 1998, but there are other bits from that kit which are dated 1996. I'm guessing 1995 or 1996 is when they started making the stuff. From what I've been told the Flecktarn stuff was always hard to come by. Probably reserved for troops on deployment, everybody else getting stuck with the older stuff..

    Steve
    avatar
    Wolverine
    Junior Lieutenant
    Junior Lieutenant

    Name : Andrew
    Location : Canada
    Registration date : 2014-01-18
    Number of posts : 680

    Re: G3 magazine pouches - BW versus Danish manufacture

    Post by Wolverine on Mon Nov 02, 2015 12:10 pm

    Yes, the laminated types from the BW normally have 1960s or 1970s dates. I don't know if I have any from the 1980s or not. The plastic pouches all seem to have 1980s dates, and seem to have appeared around the same time as the simplified y-straps, and gas mask carrier without the zipper. However, in BW photos from the early to mid 1980s, the laminated ones still appear, even with the new y-straps. I have quite a few plastic ones, and they have never been used.

    I agree, there is evidence that the Danes were wearing the old style, pre-Flecktarn webbing well into the 1990s.

    abefroman
    Junior Sergeant
    Junior Sergeant

    Location : USA
    Registration date : 2014-09-26
    Number of posts : 168

    Re: G3 magazine pouches - BW versus Danish manufacture

    Post by abefroman on Tue Nov 03, 2015 10:47 am

    CollectinSteve wrote:The German ones are from the 1960s through the 1970s, as far as I know.  After that they switched from the laminated type to a solid soft plastic type.  The laminated type is, IMHO, vastly superior to the solid type.

    I have pictures of Danes wearing this type of mag pouch in 1997.  The earliest mag pouch in Flecktarn I've seen is 1998, but there are other bits from that kit which are dated 1996.  I'm guessing 1995 or 1996 is when they started making the stuff.  From what I've been told the Flecktarn stuff was always hard to come by.  Probably reserved for troops on deployment, everybody else getting stuck with the older stuff..

    Steve

    I agree. The first evidence I have seen of Danes wearing the PLCE flecktarn webbing was in the Balkans 1995. Pitures of the Germans in Somalia in 1992 shows them having already switched over to the OD lift the tab pouches that eventually changed to flecktarn.
    avatar
    Wolverine
    Junior Lieutenant
    Junior Lieutenant

    Name : Andrew
    Location : Canada
    Registration date : 2014-01-18
    Number of posts : 680

    Re: G3 magazine pouches - BW versus Danish manufacture

    Post by Wolverine on Tue Nov 03, 2015 11:20 am

    abefroman wrote:
    CollectinSteve wrote:The German ones are from the 1960s through the 1970s, as far as I know.  After that they switched from the laminated type to a solid soft plastic type.  The laminated type is, IMHO, vastly superior to the solid type.

    I have pictures of Danes wearing this type of mag pouch in 1997.  The earliest mag pouch in Flecktarn I've seen is 1998, but there are other bits from that kit which are dated 1996.  I'm guessing 1995 or 1996 is when they started making the stuff.  From what I've been told the Flecktarn stuff was always hard to come by.  Probably reserved for troops on deployment, everybody else getting stuck with the older stuff..

    Steve

    I agree. The first evidence I have seen of Danes wearing the PLCE flecktarn webbing was in the Balkans 1995. Pitures of the Germans in Somalia in 1992 shows them having already switched over to the OD lift the tab pouches that eventually changed to flecktarn.

    Indeed, I think that the earliest OD German webbing I have (the new type with the WE 82 pattern-style belt and the 'Spanish' lift tabs) is dated 1988 or so. This makes sense too, because I remember as a kid in the late 1980s and early 1990s that there was suddenly a ton of the old style German gear in the surplus stores (belts, y-straps, magazine pouches, bread bags, canteens, etc). There still seems to be a healthy supply of German magazine pouches, both plastic and laminated.

    michelwijnand
    Junior Sergeant
    Junior Sergeant

    Name : Michel Wijnand
    Age : 28
    Location : The Netherlands
    Registration date : 2016-11-09
    Number of posts : 81

    Re: G3 magazine pouches - BW versus Danish manufacture

    Post by michelwijnand on Tue Jan 10, 2017 3:57 pm

    I know the photo you mean wit hthe 1 G3 type pouch, but the other one is an older M45-50 magazine pouch, not the slanted M45-59 one.

    The Danes seem to call the Fleck PLCE webbing M95 or M96, so the old webbing was still used even in the Balkans at some point even alongside the
    Fleck stuff.
    A Danish seller once joked that their troops in the Balkans were sometimes asked if they would get their actual gear later, and that's why they had the
    crappy old webbing Razz
    avatar
    M55q

    Location : Scandinavia
    Registration date : 2017-04-20
    Number of posts : 5

    Re: G3 magazine pouches - BW versus Danish manufacture

    Post by M55q on Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:27 pm

    michelwijnand wrote:I know the photo you mean wit hthe 1 G3 type pouch, but the other one is an older M45-50 magazine pouch, not the slanted M45-59 one.

    The Danes seem to call the Fleck PLCE webbing M95 or M96, so the old webbing was still used even in the Balkans at some point even alongside the
    Fleck stuff.
    A Danish seller once joked that their troops in the Balkans were sometimes asked if they would get their actual gear later, and that's why they had the
    crappy old webbing Razz

    The official nomenclature is M/96 for the PLCE webbing in Danish M/84 camouflage.
    Not widely distributed before 1997, according to the article below:

    avatar
    CollectinSteve
    ADMIN
    ADMIN

    Location : New England, US
    Registration date : 2009-03-08
    Number of posts : 5743

    Re: G3 magazine pouches - BW versus Danish manufacture

    Post by CollectinSteve on Mon Apr 24, 2017 12:50 am

    Excellent information! Designations and what is part of the system all in one post Very Happy Thank you!

    Steve

    abefroman
    Junior Sergeant
    Junior Sergeant

    Location : USA
    Registration date : 2014-09-26
    Number of posts : 168

    Re: G3 magazine pouches - BW versus Danish manufacture

    Post by abefroman on Mon Apr 24, 2017 11:10 am

    M55q wrote:
    michelwijnand wrote:I know the photo you mean wit hthe 1 G3 type pouch, but the other one is an older M45-50 magazine pouch, not the slanted M45-59 one.

    The Danes seem to call the Fleck PLCE webbing M95 or M96, so the old webbing was still used even in the Balkans at some point even alongside the
    Fleck stuff.
    A Danish seller once joked that their troops in the Balkans were sometimes asked if they would get their actual gear later, and that's why they had the
    crappy old webbing Razz

    The official nomenclature is M/96 for the PLCE webbing in Danish M/84 camouflage.
    Not widely distributed before 1997, according to the article below:


    Great post. This may inspire me to post my M96 gear....

    Sponsored content

    Re: G3 magazine pouches - BW versus Danish manufacture

    Post by Sponsored content


      Current date/time is Wed Apr 26, 2017 8:19 pm