Mystery Russian hats

CollectinSteve
    ADMIN
    ADMIN

Registration date : 2009-03-08
    Number of posts : 6010

Mystery Russian hats

Post by CollectinSteve on Sat Nov 07, 2015 2:50 am

I've had these hats in my collection for eons. I am hoping someone can give me more info on them. The MVD style hat is the oldest. I think I picked it up in 1992-95 timeframe from a dealer in San Francisco who, at the time, had some really sweet Russian stuff that he wanted too much money for. I'll start with that one:

Urban MVD type hat. No markings inside except size.

Next are three hats of the same physical design. I've had them for a long, long time and I think I got them all at the same time. They have three differences from a normal Soviet/Russian hat. First, they have no vent holes on either side. Second, they fold lengthwise and not front to back as usual. Third, no markings other than size.

I forgot to take a close up of the VSR type.

Steve
    koalorka
    Lieutenant Colonel
    Lieutenant Colonel

Registration date : 2010-05-22
    Number of posts : 1708

Re: Mystery Russian hats

Post by koalorka on Tue Nov 17, 2015 3:03 pm

Great stuff Steve.

The first cap may not necessarily be an MVD piece. I've seen a BDU style uniform made in a reversible format with the same exact woodland camouflage, I think someone on Red Alliance owns it and it came out of Serbia.

It had some unusual features so it may have been a hunting suit.

The other 3 caps are the regular Afghanka style caps, just to made much less rigorous standards in the post-Soviet days. Most likely Ukrainian made, the third cap has a pattern that's similar to a very early Uzbek variation of Butane I've seen.
    CollectinSteve
    ADMIN
    ADMIN

Registration date : 2009-03-08
    Number of posts : 6010

Post by CollectinSteve on Wed Nov 18, 2015 1:45 am

Thanks for the info! That first hat is the biggest mystery to me. I don't think Serbia is even remotely a possibility since the civil war was in full force when I picked this up and therefore Serbia (then still Yugoslavia) was a bit preoccupied with making stuff for themselves. Generally in old JNA styles, not the new Russian styles. Commercial is, of course, a possibility. There was quite a lot of that going on at at the time.

I'm curious about the Uzbek pattern. I don't have a record of that one!

Steve

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:13 pm