IACMC MILITARIA FORUM

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

2 posters

Mystery Russian hats

CollectinSteve
    CollectinSteve
    ADMIN
    ADMIN

Registration date : 2009-03-08
    Number of posts : 6906

Mystery Russian hats Empty Mystery Russian hats

Post by CollectinSteve Fri Nov 06, 2015 11:50 pm

I've had these hats in my collection for eons. I am hoping someone can give me more info on them. The MVD style hat is the oldest. I think I picked it up in 1992-95 timeframe from a dealer in San Francisco who, at the time, had some really sweet Russian stuff that he wanted too much money for. I'll start with that one:

Urban MVD type hat. No markings inside except size.

Mystery Russian hats File_zpszqtg2li9

Next are three hats of the same physical design. I've had them for a long, long time and I think I got them all at the same time. They have three differences from a normal Soviet/Russian hat. First, they have no vent holes on either side. Second, they fold lengthwise and not front to back as usual. Third, no markings other than size.

Mystery Russian hats File_zps0lqsipmk

Mystery Russian hats File_zpse7k1d2bz

I forgot to take a close up of the VSR type.

Mystery Russian hats File_zpsv17c59qc

Mystery Russian hats File_zpsogvapoaw

Steve
    koalorka
    koalorka
    Lieutenant Colonel
    Lieutenant Colonel

Registration date : 2010-05-22
    Number of posts : 1733

Mystery Russian hats Empty Re: Mystery Russian hats

Post by koalorka Tue Nov 17, 2015 12:03 pm

Great stuff Steve.

The first cap may not necessarily be an MVD piece. I've seen a BDU style uniform made in a reversible format with the same exact woodland camouflage, I think someone on Red Alliance owns it and it came out of Serbia.

It had some unusual features so it may have been a hunting suit.

The other 3 caps are the regular Afghanka style caps, just to made much less rigorous standards in the post-Soviet days. Most likely Ukrainian made, the third cap has a pattern that's similar to a very early Uzbek variation of Butane I've seen.
    CollectinSteve
    CollectinSteve
    ADMIN
    ADMIN

Registration date : 2009-03-08
    Number of posts : 6906

Post by CollectinSteve Tue Nov 17, 2015 10:45 pm

Thanks for the info! That first hat is the biggest mystery to me. I don't think Serbia is even remotely a possibility since the civil war was in full force when I picked this up and therefore Serbia (then still Yugoslavia) was a bit preoccupied with making stuff for themselves. Generally in old JNA styles, not the new Russian styles. Commercial is, of course, a possibility. There was quite a lot of that going on at at the time.

I'm curious about the Uzbek pattern. I don't have a record of that one!

Steve

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:22 am