Trials (85 Ptn) PLCE Respirator haversack?

Raptor
    Junior Sergeant
    Junior Sergeant

Registration date : 2011-08-15
    Number of posts : 160

Post by Raptor on Mon Nov 09, 2015 5:18 pm

Hi Lads,
    Looking for some info on how to recognise the trials variant PLCE Resi haversack.I have a 1990 pattern one but cant seem to find any pics of the 85 pattern one anywhere.Any ideas?

PS: I have just got it into my head to try to build a complete set of the 85 Ptn PLCE(there goes my bank balance Rolling Eyes )so I am looking to trade/purchase any spares people may have gathering dust in their collections.So if any of ye fancy parting with any items from that kit please message me.

exwoofer
    Corporal
    Corporal

Registration date : 2012-11-10
    Number of posts : 20

Post by exwoofer on Sun Dec 13, 2015 8:32 pm

Whilst in the Army I was based at Warminster from 1984-6 and regularly worked with ITDU (Infantry Trials and Development Unit). As such I saw most of the kit on trial during this period.

83 Trials Pattern
    PLCE went through a long evolution starting in the early 1980’s with a pattern known to collectors as 83 pattern. This set had a resi pouch which was quite similar to the S6 nylon 58 pouch. The main distinguishing feature besides the fabric was the belt attachment which was a very simple fixed flap /loop for the belt to pass through of which it had two. This allowed the pouch to be worn in a low or a high position. Think of the SAS belt order pouch belt fittings – the resi pouch was like this except the loops were wider.

85 Trials resip pouch
    The next generation was the pattern known as 85 trials. The resi pouch trialled during this period had two particular recognition features – the first being the absence of the small DKP puffer bottle pocket on the outside. The second feature being that the belt attachment was, again, a simple flap - but this time it has press stud fastenings. The press studs allowed the pouch to be fitted directly over the belt without the need to thread the belt through the loop from the buckle.

My personal ‘claim to fame’ with regards to this kit is that I highlighted to ITDU the error with this pouch – i.e. the fact that the DKP pocket was missing. Up till this point it had gone unobserved.

There was possibly another style of resi pouch on trial with 85 trials kit (although I suspect this pouch came slightly later in the trials programme). The other type of resi pouch for this period had straps with fastex buckles as loops to fix the pouch to the belt – it also had the small DKP pouch re-introduced.

Later still came the more common 90 Patt (olive) resi pouch types - of which I think there at least two variations.

From my experience most of this trials kit is well marked and dated so you should be able to confirm if its trials kit by the date.

Bear in mind that anything dated up until 1988 could still be classed as trials really as 90 Patt did not get accepted for service use until  Feb 1989 and first issues were in Nov 1989 (although obviously some kit was used prior for trials).

I have pics of most this kit but they are not my pics so unfortunately I cannot share them sorry – but I am happy to answer any questions.

Raptor
    Junior Sergeant
    Junior Sergeant

Re: Trials (85 Ptn) PLCE Respirator haversack?

Post by Raptor on Mon Dec 14, 2015 5:40 pm

Thanks for the reply! Very Happy Now all i gotta do is find one of the elusive 85 pattern resi pouches along with the ammo pouches to complete the CEFO.
    I recently got the belt and what i believe to be three utility pouches.However I believe the previous owner cut off the yoke attachment points off the pouches Sad Also was there any difference between the utility pouch and the waterbottle pouch?

(What I REALLY need is the user PAM so I would be able to I.D all the components and more importantly be able to assemble them properly.All I am going off at the moment is Simon Howletts excellent book on modern British webbing)

exwoofer
    Corporal
    Corporal

Registration date : 2012-11-10
    Number of posts : 20

Post by exwoofer on Mon Dec 14, 2015 6:43 pm

Hi, no probs with the info.

The 85 trials water bottle pouch in pretty much the same as the utility pouch minus the yoke attachments.

I never saw a PAM for 85 Trials kit whilst in service and I have never seen one since (there probably was one though – mostly likely a short a user guide). I can help with guidance if needed - for assembly.

If you haven’t got an 85 Trials ETH pouch - these are available on eBay and are only £3.99 inc postage.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/British-Olive-Green-PLCE-Entrenching-Tool-Pouch-Trials-Prototype-Grade1-Free-P-P-/172011694945?hash=item280cb22b61:g:DsUAAOSwstxVIYHr

Gulf91
    Colonel
    Colonel

Registration date : 2011-05-13
    Number of posts : 3706

Post by Gulf91 on Tue Dec 15, 2015 3:48 am

Plenty of the trials E tool carriers on Ebay UK cheaply but all the other bits are hard to find.

There was a UK seller who regularly listed various bits,belts,pouches etc,not cheap so keep an eye open incase he pops up again.

Dont forget the trials bergen as well to add to the wants list.

Raptor
    Junior Sergeant
    Junior Sergeant

Post by Raptor on Tue Dec 15, 2015 6:11 pm

I have three ETH pouches.I think I might offer two for trade though.At a guess I would say the rarest item is the rocket pouch yoke or maybe the resi haversack.The quest begins Laughing

Gulf91
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post by Gulf91 on Wed Dec 16, 2015 3:51 am

I agree about the rocket pouch yoke,followed by the waist belt for the trials bergen.

Raptor
    Junior Sergeant
    Junior Sergeant

Post by Raptor on Wed Dec 16, 2015 3:31 pm

Gulf91 wrote:I agree about the rocket pouch yoke,followed by the waist belt for the trials bergen.
    There was an Army surplus warehouse in Middleton Co.cork that we all used to frequent back when the Irish DF used '90ptn PLCE as the owner used to get pallet loads of surplus in from the U.K.We all used to buy surplus pouches to supplement the issue kit and the odd bloke would buy a MK6 helmet and stick an irish helmet cover on as they were more comfortable to wear with peltors than our Israeli lid at the time.
    Anyway I used to root through the boxes and would often find what i now know to be 85Ptn bergan belts and various pouches,but because the were not the same as the issue stuff and at the time i hadn't taken up collecting i never purchased.
    Do I feel like a dumbass now. Embarassed Sad

Gulf91
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post by Gulf91 on Wed Dec 16, 2015 3:50 pm

Raptor wrote:
    Gulf91 wrote:I agree about the rocket pouch yoke,followed by the waist belt for the trials bergen.
    There was an Army surplus warehouse in Middleton Co.cork that we all used to frequent back when the Irish DF used '90ptn PLCE as the owner used to get pallet loads of surplus in from the U.K.We all used to buy surplus pouches to supplement the issue kit and the odd bloke would buy a MK6 helmet and stick an irish helmet cover on as they were more comfortable to wear with peltors than our Israeli lid at the time.
    Anyway I used to root through the boxes and would often find what i now know to be 85Ptn bergan belts and various pouches,but because the were not the same as the issue stuff and at the time i hadn't taken up collecting i never purchased.
    Do I feel like a dumbass now. Embarassed Sad

Yep,I dread to think over the years what rare stuff Ive sold not knowing then what they were but with this expensive,addictive collecting lark every day is a school day.

Real problem for me is that Im limited(apart from various forums)to Ebay for buying most of my kit and due to the increased popularity of this gear and now more and more people looking for the limited amount of certain items that unless Im very lucky,I tend to most of the time always end up getting outbid and losing out(happened now 3 times on the trot in a short space of time,all the same guy that has ended up winning).Answer to that is of course up my max bids but I collect on a very tight budget and have my limits and have to stick to them,ok sometimes I do end up bidding more than I would(still end up losing)but some people/collectors have an unlimited budget and are prepared to pay pretty much whatever the price so yes,hate losing out but no sour grapes as unless the item was a one off,chances are,play the waiting game and the item/s will turn up,sometimes a lot cheaper than I had originally bid so all part of the fun and games I guess.

On the subject of resi cases,never gave them a second thought to be honest so will of course now be on the lookout and will have to when I get a chance have a rummage to see what I have in the hope that I have a rare beast amongst them,heehhh.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content Today at 3:04 am

Current date/time is Sun Dec 11, 2016 3:04 am