Awe heck, I can't get back to work knowing this puzzle is sitting here!
The desert lines up beautifully with our list, except we have not seen DES 4 yet and there doesn't appear to be a designation (at least from this list) for the standard issue 2 color desert:Desert
DF1001 - 3 color Orange (DES 1)
DF1002 - 3 color Brown (DES 2, most common type)
DF1011 - 3 color Gray (DES 3)DF1013 - 3 color (DES 4). Unidentified as of yet, however two colors are the same as DES 5 and DES 6
DF1014 - 3 color Burgundy (DES 5)
DF1015 - 2 color Standard (DES 6, but oddly says USMC Digital as well)
The description for DF1015 seems to indicate the "2 common" color pattern, which we know exists, but it also mentions "USMC digital". I don't know what to make of that. Some sort of USMC desert example was surplussed, but IIRC it was a standard US production model without tags? Something like that because it was uninteresting enough that I passed up several opportunities to grab a set.
The All Terrain looks fairly logical to line up. In this case we have 2 of the 4 examples documented:All TerrainDF1004 - 4 color Beige (AllT 1)DF1003 - 4 color Olive (AllT 2)
DF1006 - 4 color Beige (AllT 3)
DF1003 - 4 color Olive (AllT 4)
Hybrid seems to be 100% documented. They called DF1019 "Green" whereas I called it "Brown", so I've changed the nomenclature to match the MoD's:Hybrid
DF1019 - 4 color Green (as seen on various field kits kit)
DF1020 - 4 color Gray ("Hybrid 2" - one background shape is light gray instead of rust brown)
Woodland seems to be the odd duck of the bunch. It looks like we haven't scratched the surface of this one yet as we have only identified 3 out of 7 patterns. Unfortunately there's not much info to go on as to which of the other two is which on the FOI list. I made a guess as follows:Woodland
DF1009 - 4 color Standard (Woodland 1)
DF1008? - 4 color Green (Woodland 2)DF1007 - Woodland 3 (not yet identified)
DF1010? - 4 color Gray (Woodland 4)DF1012 - Woodland 5 (not yet identified)DF1017 - Woodland 6 (not yet identified)DF1018 - Woodland 7 (not yet identified)
Working theories based on this information:
1. We have identified 14 out of 20 patterns. We're missing 2 All Terrain, 4 Woodland.
2. It appears that the labels and pen marks on cloth which specify a pattern style (Desert, Woodland, All Terrain, Hybrid) match the numbers on the official list. DES2 = Dessert 2, ALLT 2 = All Terrain 2, Hybrid 1 = Hybrid 1.
3. The list appears to be concerned with patterns only, not construction. Construction codes appear to be the "CD" numbers.
4. The CD labels often have a "Buy" detail with a number that follows. The number corresponds nicely with the variant code (e.g. Desert 2 = Buy 2).
5. The items that have a number inside a circle do not appear to correspond with the variant codes.
6. My guess is that some, if not all, of the unidentified Woodland patterns were cloth only or at least nothing in large numbers. The purpose of these was to test various reflective properties, which was mentioned in the FOI inquiry text. It makes sense to test a single pattern for different pigments and/or printing techniques so as to have a common frame of reference with as few variables as possible.
7. The digital variant tests appear to be separate from PECOC as they are not mentioned at all. Therefore the Digital ones have been removed from my PECOC list.
8. I have one picture of a body armor cover with pen writing that says it is "Wood 7". However, the pattern appears to be "Hybrid 2". As there are no known covers in anything other than Hybrid I think someone wrote the wrong designation on it.
Last edited by CollectinSteve on Wed Nov 11, 2015 4:07 pm; edited 2 times in total