IACMC MILITARIA FORUM

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

4 posters

Unknown Camo Pattern

MyZone
    MyZone
    Junior Sergeant
    Junior Sergeant

Registration date : 2011-07-03
    Number of posts : 127

Unknown Camo Pattern Empty Unknown Camo Pattern

Post by MyZone Sun Apr 03, 2016 10:09 am

Recent find in the Ft. Bragg area.

Thanks In Advance,
    MZ♠

Unknown Camo Pattern Img_9916
    Unknown Camo Pattern Img_9921
    Unknown Camo Pattern Img_9917
    Unknown Camo Pattern Img_9918
    Unknown Camo Pattern Img_9919
    Unknown Camo Pattern Img_9920
    Haydamaka
    Haydamaka
    Colonel
    Colonel

Name : Andy
    Registration date : 2016-02-12
    Number of posts : 2687

Unknown Camo Pattern Empty Re: Unknown Camo Pattern

Post by Haydamaka Thu Apr 14, 2016 6:25 am

I'd suppose this is commercial stuff.
    Absence of ID labels and not US military buttons prove this...
    MyZone
    MyZone
    Junior Sergeant
    Junior Sergeant

Registration date : 2011-07-03
    Number of posts : 127

Post by MyZone Thu Apr 14, 2016 9:15 am

Hello,

I tend to lean away from the assertion that it commercial based on the lack of tags. Also, the lack of US buttons is also not any indication of validity. I trust there are countless examples of authentic uniforms from various countries / sources that lack both.

It is most likely a soldier "bring-back" from somewhere else down-range; it has managed to find its way onto the local surplus market around Ft. Bragg. I can personally attest that is is a robust market at that.

Appreciate the input; I will keep searching for it's true identity.....

MZ♠
    Haydamaka
    Haydamaka
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post by Haydamaka Thu Apr 14, 2016 10:21 am

No doubt, anybody wants to purchase real original combat stuff.
    But let's consider the jacket quietly and in details. I tried to find something of the period to match.
    Please check out this - there are a lot of US military tropical jackets with short descriptions.

https://www.vintagetrends.com/military/thumbnails.asp?mode=all&MC=Military+Vintage&CA=Men&SC=Jackets%2FCoats&ST=Jungle+jacket&SS=

Ft. Bragg is a cool and respected place, but, frankly speaking, this is not any guarantee that the local market provides only original and real combat stuff.

There are also some other peculiarities of your jacket.
    A small black tag with "L"(?) letter also looks like something from civilian market.
    If the jacket misses the military ID tag, there should be even a place and signs of the removed tag. There is no US military stuff without any ID and/or care info, inscriptions of compliance with some regulations, size, contract number, manufacturer info etc...

A peculiar is the camouflage, please mind the sleeves. There is something like a variant of ERDL-based "woodland" camouflage, but with some similarity to Belgian "jigsaw" camouflage, which is characterized with thin white "shadow" in the pattern.
    The Belgians got rid of this feature only in the last version of national camouflage:""A fourth variation of the national jigsaw camouflage pattern first appeared in around 2005, and has since been replacing the previous incarnations as supplies are cycled out of the distribution system. The pattern has only been modified from the last version by the omission of the tiny bits of "white" that had traditionally appeared in the design. These no longer remain".

http://camopedia.org/index.php?title=Belgium
    CollectinSteve
    CollectinSteve
    ADMIN
    ADMIN

Registration date : 2009-03-08
    Number of posts : 6888

Post by CollectinSteve Fri Apr 15, 2016 3:11 am

Yea, these are tough ones to ID. Some of the stuff that floats around places like Ft. Bragg are commercial pieces that got mixed into military use somewhere or were picked up in a local market far away. With some provenance they may be very interesting, but lacking any puts the burden of proof that it's "interesting" on the person who has it.

The size tag is something I've seen on Georgian and Ukrainian items. I'm sure others as well. The double exposed buttons is USUALLY a sign of cheap commercial production because the normal hidden BDU pocket flaps are so more expensive to make than exposed button.

To me the "shadow" is a printing error, not something done on purpose. This is consistent with a cheap commercial product. Very often enterprising people make use of cheap rejected cloth to crank out some quick profits.

Syria and Iraq use uniforms with two button pockets, but the Syrian style is distinct and only with chest pockets. So that's right out IMHO. Iraqi uniform variants are pretty widely studied and I don't know of anything that this conforms to, so I'd tend to say it's not in the running either. However, there's so many exceptions to the rule with Iraqi stuff that I certainly can't rule it out being used by someone in Iraq for something at some time since the fall of Saddam.

Steve
    Haydamaka
    Haydamaka
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post by Haydamaka Fri Apr 15, 2016 4:13 am

I can just add that I agree with all the arguments provided by Steve.
    drmatz
    drmatz

Name : danilo matz
    Registration date : 2009-02-16
    Number of posts : 2103

Post by drmatz Fri Apr 22, 2016 6:01 pm

Central america tends to use a lot of "commercial" looking uniforms as well.. Many SF troops train soldiers from all over that region, could be somebody doing some type of school in the US that traded the shirt... Hard to pinpoint, but it could be an issued item...

http://picasaweb.google.com/danilomatz

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:29 pm