IACMC MILITARIA FORUM

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+3
Camonut314
mylle
Thibir
7 posters

That '70s Show - photos of my impressions mainly from 70s

Thibir
    Thibir
    Sergeant
    Sergeant

Registration date : 2015-05-06
    Number of posts : 251

That '70s Show - photos of my impressions mainly from 70s Empty That '70s Show - photos of my impressions mainly from 70s

Post by Thibir Sun Apr 03, 2016 7:03 pm

Lately I don´t have enough time to spent on our hobby. But last weekend I spared a few moments to take few quick phone pictures. I am sharing them also with some of my older photos.

Royal Green Jackets - Northern Ireland early 70s
    My first completed impression ever, I have to reshoot it soon as I have acquired lot of stuff that should be on pictures (riot helmet, p68 uniform, DMS boots etc.)
    Beret with badge
    woolly pully
    US M69 frag jacket
    airsoft L1A1 with sling
    NI leather gloves (repro)
    pattern 58 webbing - belt, ammo pouches and water bottle pouch
    incorrect DPM trousers
    That '70s Show - photos of my impressions mainly from 70s Dsc06210

Rhodesian Light Infantry - Rhodesian bush war mid to late 70s
    These are my most favorite photos.
    SADF scrim scarf - Rambo style :-)
    Rhodesian camo shirt (repro) - as I am too poor (or too large) to buy correct size of genuine Rhodesian uniform
    green shorts (random civilian ones)
    black sneakers (converse knockoff)
    Fereday & Sons chest rig (repro)
    Rhodesian P69 water bottle pouches (repro)
    SADF P61-64 webbing belt and kidney pouches
    airsoft L1A1 with sling (for more genuine look the sling and carry handle should be removed)
    That '70s Show - photos of my impressions mainly from 70s Dsc00011
    That '70s Show - photos of my impressions mainly from 70s Dsc00012

SADF scrim scarf
    Rhodesian camo shirt, boonie and trousers (repro)
    Czechoslovak vz. 62 brown leather boots for officers posing as Rhodesian double-buckled boots
    Fereday & Sons chest rig (repro)
    Rhodesian P69 water bottle pouches (repro)
    SADF P61-64 webbing belt and kidney pouches
    airsoft L1A1 with sling
    That '70s Show - photos of my impressions mainly from 70s Dsc00110
    That '70s Show - photos of my impressions mainly from 70s Dsc00010

Austrian Bundesheer - early 70s
    I got this nice set from Alex (Mylle). It is shame that these pictures didn´t come out as I expected them. I have to reshoot them sometimes. Also I am not very familiar with item´s designations.
    camo parka and trouser
    Czechoslovak vz. 21 olive shirt serving as Austrian grey one
    leather belt and braces and ammo pouches
    entrenching tool with pouch
    water bottle
    gas mask bag (it would be probably correct to wear it under other webbing not over)
    bread bag with tent sheet
    large pack
    and NATO M1 clone - I think it is Austrian but I am not sure
    black Czechoslovak vz. 60 double buckled boots
    That '70s Show - photos of my impressions mainly from 70s 12887410
    That '70s Show - photos of my impressions mainly from 70s 12476810

Czechoslovak Army - newly enlisted soldier - rifleman 1978-1979
    I tried to get this impression as close to the regulations as possible (as would all newbies try to):
    vz. 60 needles uniform
    vz. 52 steel helmet
    vz. 60 belt with star for enlisted men
    vz. 60 textile and leather braces
    leather pouch for 4 magazines
    vz. 58 bayonet in leather scabbard
    entrenching tool
    water bottle
    combined bag for gas mask and disposable NBC poncho (this is the only item that sets this impression into 78-79 period. Earlier periods would have separate gas mask bag and large needles camoed carrier for larger NBC suit)
    vz. 60 bread bag attached to the suspenders
    vz. 60 double buckled boots
    and vz. 58 rifle. Both rifle and bayonet are early versions with real wood furniture instead of newer versions which had frniture made from saw dust in red epoxy
    That '70s Show - photos of my impressions mainly from 70s 12894510
    That '70s Show - photos of my impressions mainly from 70s 12887510

Czechoslovak Army - soldier coming to the end of his tour - machine gunner 1978-1979
    Soldiers approaching their end of duty were often more cocky than new ones. They were also much worse in suiting up according to the regulations :-)
    vz. 60 needles uniform
    vz. 21 olive cotton shirt
    vz. 52 steel helmet - note the removable hood from vz. 60 uniform used as helmet cover. It was not an official policy but it was often used this way
    vz. 60 belt with star for enlisted men
    vz. 60 textile and leather braces
    kit for machine gunner - consisting of some tools and cleaning and lube for machine gun
    entrenching tool
    water bottle
    combined bag for gas mask and disposable NBC poncho
    vz. 60 bread bag slung over the shoulder, again this was against the regulation. It should be worn like this only when soldier was wearing his large pack on his back. Otherwise the bread back should be attached to the braces on the back
    camoed tent sheet - these were rarely issued to common infantry despite the warehouses were full of them. They were primarly used by paras instead of sleeping bags. It was probably traded with somebody with access to the warehouse
    vz. 59 universal machine gun in light machine gun configuration with magazine for 50 rounds belt
    That '70s Show - photos of my impressions mainly from 70s 12903710
    That '70s Show - photos of my impressions mainly from 70s 12899410

And bonus picture not from 70s:

Prison guard during Leopoldov prison riot on 28th March 1990
    police riot helmet
    vz. 60 needles uniform (even police used army cut in 80s and 90s. The MV cut was produced only until 70s)
    vz. 21 olive cotton shirt
    leather belt with star - it is incorrect, this one was used only by enlisted soldiers, prison guards should have Sam Brown belt
    vz. 61 submachine gun
    leather belt holster for submachine
    leather double ammo pouch
    vz. 60 bread bag - probably full of stun grenades
    That '70s Show - photos of my impressions mainly from 70s Leopol10

Quick historical background about the Leopoldov prison riots - after the fall of communism the new president Havel ordered large amnesty (20.000 of total 25.000 prisoners were released, not only political ones but also petty criminals). However the Leopoldov prison was home of the worst scumbags. Murderers, rapists, repeated violent burglars etc. This amnesty obviously didn´t cover them. They were disappointed and angry and started with hunger strikes and small scale riots. The commander of prison and later Czechoslovak government didn´t take any direct action against the rioting prisoners as they feared the public opinion. They didn´t want to look like that ruthless communist police. So they slowly retreated and let the prisoners to take control of whole prison. Leopoldov prison  was originally medieval fortress. The prisoners got hold of prison kitchen and warehouse so they got plenty of food. They also gained control of metal shops where they were employed before. They started to make melee weapons like machetes and clubs. What is worse they got a plenty of gasoline so they started also producing the molotov cocktails. They also filled the prison sewers with explosive acetylene from welding blowtorches.

Situation escalated on 28th March when the rioting prisoners took few hundred non-rioting prisoners as hostages, locked them on the roof of one building and treated to burn them alive. They also set many prison buildings on fire. So the attack on the prison was finally ordered. The action was performed by URNA (Útvar Rýchleho NAsazení - quick deployment unit of Ministry of interior), army paratroopers, prison guards, border guards and police cadets from nearby police academy. The attack was lead by the URNA and paras (because of their training and equipment, paras were inserted from helicopters on the building roofs to free hostages) and was supported by prison guards because of their knowledge of the prison buildings. Border guards and police cadets were just helping with handcuffing disarmed prisoners.

Despite shooting with live ammunition according to official news only one person was killed during the action - one prisoner blew himself while making IED booby trap. Despite this the local media were crazy with the action being inhuman and against human rights (dignity) as all surrendering prisoners were ordered to strip naked to prevent them from carrying concealed weapons.
    mylle
    mylle
    Lieutenant Colonel
    Lieutenant Colonel

Name : Alex
    Registration date : 2013-10-18
    Number of posts : 2283

That '70s Show - photos of my impressions mainly from 70s Empty Re: That '70s Show - photos of my impressions mainly from 70s

Post by mylle Sun Apr 03, 2016 7:37 pm

Cool that you found some time to take pics!I must say I did a good job with the Austrian stuff.Looks very good all together! Wink And of course the Vz.60 pics are also great!The pic with the Vz.59 looks badass as hell! Cool Laughing
    Camonut314
    Camonut314
    Senior Sergeant
    Senior Sergeant

Registration date : 2011-12-12
    Number of posts : 399

That '70s Show - photos of my impressions mainly from 70s Empty Re: That '70s Show - photos of my impressions mainly from 70s

Post by Camonut314 Sun Apr 03, 2016 9:11 pm

Very nice! I love the Czech MP impression. You really fit the part for the NI look. Very Happy
    kammo-man
    Major
    Major

Registration date : 2010-02-02
    Number of posts : 1086

Post by kammo-man Sat Apr 09, 2016 6:06 pm

THE NI is great !

Get yourself a long riot wooden baton and slip it into your vest by your armpit and its done.

owen
    dynamo.alex
    Captain
    Captain

Registration date : 2012-11-20
    Number of posts : 945

Post by dynamo.alex Sun Apr 10, 2016 5:06 am

nice stuff Tibor. The Czechoslovak impressions are splendid. However I do also love the Rhodesian once ... where didi you take the pictures it does look very bush land-ish on them pictures ... excellent keep 'em pictures coming Smile
    Thibir
    Thibir
    Sergeant
    Sergeant

Post by Thibir Fri Apr 22, 2016 9:48 am

Thanks guys for your responses.

Yes Alex you did great job in getting all Austrian stuff for me. In reality it looks even better than on photos. Also I found out that it is impossible to hold an machine gun and don´t look badass :-)

Yeah I would gladly add the wooden baton to the impression but they are stupidly expensive and the shipping is often even more expensive :-)

Finding a piece of Rhodesia in the middle of Central Europe was really difficult but I managed to simulate it quite successfully. Thanks for noticing :-) Photos were taken during early spring when the vegetation was not to high. First two photos were taken in the middle of corn/maize field and the second two photos were taken in abandoned gravel mine where only grass and bushes grow...
    Thibir
    Thibir
    Sergeant
    Sergeant

Post by Thibir Wed Dec 13, 2023 12:33 pm

I got some time to take a few British pictures:

Northern Ireland 1969-1970
    Pattern 1968 smock and trousers
    Mk. V Steel helmet with riot face visor
    US made Vest M69
    Pattern 1958 webbing - belt, left and right ammo pouch and water bottle pouch
    S6 respirator bag, first (canvas) model
    NI gloves
    Airsoft SLR
    Ammo boots with short puttees

That '70s Show - photos of my impressions mainly from 70s 20231212
    That '70s Show - photos of my impressions mainly from 70s 20231213

Northern Ireland 1979-1980
    Pattern 1968 smock and trousers - with stitched creases and lining removed
    Rifle green beret with Royal Green Jackets badge
    Scrim scarf
    Pattern 1979 body armour
    Pattern 1958 webbing - belt, left and right ammo pouch and water bottle pouch
    Airsoft SLR
    Dr. Martens boots

That '70s Show - photos of my impressions mainly from 70s 20231210
    That '70s Show - photos of my impressions mainly from 70s 20231211

Combat Equipment Fighting Order (1980?)
    Pattern 1968 trousers
    Private purchase Windproof smock
    Mk. V Steel helmet
    Pattern 1958 webbing - belt, left and right ammo pouch, yokes, kidney pouches, water bottle pouch, poncho carrier
    S6 respirator bag, first (canvas) model
    shovel
    Airsoft SLR, bayonet

That '70s Show - photos of my impressions mainly from 70s 20231215
    That '70s Show - photos of my impressions mainly from 70s 20231214

Lightweight trousers (not era appropriate)
    Denison smock (copy/made for African contract) / DPM Para smock
    Maroon beret
    Scrim scarf
    Pattern 1958 webbing - belt, left and right ammo pouch, yokes, 4 watter bottle pouches sewn together
    Pattern 1944 water bottle carrier, US water bottle
    Airsoft SLR

That '70s Show - photos of my impressions mainly from 70s 20231216
    That '70s Show - photos of my impressions mainly from 70s 20231217
    That '70s Show - photos of my impressions mainly from 70s 20231218

That '70s Show - photos of my impressions mainly from 70s 20231219
    That '70s Show - photos of my impressions mainly from 70s 20231220

TennoHeikaNate likes this post

ripcord
    ripcord
    Colonel
    Colonel

Registration date : 2012-12-29
    Number of posts : 2781

Post by ripcord Wed Dec 13, 2023 5:41 pm

Great job, T..

Lots of work doing these impressions..
    CollectinSteve
    CollectinSteve
    ADMIN
    ADMIN

Registration date : 2009-03-08
    Number of posts : 6906

Post by CollectinSteve Thu Dec 14, 2023 5:04 pm

I'm glad this thread popped up again! I missed it until now. Lots of great information in these displays. Thanks!

Steve

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:55 am