IACMC MILITARIA FORUM

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+6
spukmeyer
CaptainForrest
ripcord
dee222
CollectinSteve
mylle
10 posters

My first NVA Flächentarn/Blumentarn set

mylle
    mylle
    Lieutenant Colonel
    Lieutenant Colonel

Name : Alex
    Registration date : 2013-10-18
    Number of posts : 2283

My first NVA Flächentarn/Blumentarn set - Page 2 Empty Re: My first NVA Flächentarn/Blumentarn set

Post by mylle Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:45 am

Thanks, the condition is amazing. The fabric is still waxy too.
    spukmeyer
    spukmeyer
    Senior Sergeant
    Senior Sergeant

Name : Carlos
    Registration date : 2010-06-04
    Number of posts : 303

My first NVA Flächentarn/Blumentarn set - Page 2 Empty Re: My first NVA Flächentarn/Blumentarn set

Post by spukmeyer Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:20 am

So good.
    CollectinSteve
    CollectinSteve
    ADMIN
    ADMIN

Registration date : 2009-03-08
    Number of posts : 6888

Post by CollectinSteve Wed Jan 03, 2018 9:06 pm

They don't come in better condition than that!

I don't know the history of the anti-gas coating (waxy feeling stuff), but I do know it wasn't used on the 1st Model (1958-1960) or on the later stuff issued in parallel with Strichtarn from 1965-1970s.  For sure I've got items from 1963 and 1964 with the waxy coating, maybe 1962.

Answering Andrew's question from the previous page (and previous year!), there's a large variety of oddball Blumentarn stuff out there designed for explicit, narrow uses.  For example, I have a Blumentarn satchel that is fitted around a Pioneer control box for selective detonation of demolition charges.  Only one I've ever seen, but it is definitely factory made.  There's other things like that out there for sure.

As for ammo pouches, there's only 4 that I'm aware of:

2 Cell AK
    3 Cell AK
    SKS
    2 section RPD

You can see examples of these here, as well as a couple of oddball items:

http://www.flaechentarn.de/ausruestung/ausruestung.htm

The 2 Cell AK pouch is designed to be worn opposite of the 3 Cell AK pouch.  The common thought is the 2 Cell AK pouch was intended for Fallschrimjäger because airborne forces (logically) have to carry more ammo on their person than normal infantry.  Given that the 2 Cell AK pouch is designed to be worn on the opposite side of the standard 3 Cell AK pouch, I presume this is an accurate theory.  If the 2 Cell was designed to be a substitute for the 3 Cell, for example rear services or armor crewmen, then it would likely be on the same side of the belt buckle as the standard 3 Cell.

It is logical for there to have been a 4 Cell AK pouch, but I've not seen one as far as I know.  I checked my reference pictures and don't see any either.  If one exists, I'm anxious to see it Wink

Note that there's two distinctly different Blumentarn hoods, as there is for Strichtarn.  The 1st Model has button holes and was designed for the 1964 experimental jacket and 1965 and early 1966 1st Model production jacket.  The 2nd Model has no button holes and was designed for wear with the 2nd Model and subsequent models.  The button hole types are very hard to find for either Strichtarn or Blumentarn.  The latter is super expensive if you see one for sale, whereas the non-hole type is just silly expensive Wink

Steve
    mylle
    mylle
    Lieutenant Colonel
    Lieutenant Colonel

Post by mylle Sun Mar 25, 2018 4:47 pm

Just got this nice Flächentarn canteen bottle. The small cup even doesn't have any dents. Usually these cups come pretty battered.

My first NVA Flächentarn/Blumentarn set - Page 2 Img_2041

My first NVA Flächentarn/Blumentarn set - Page 2 Img_2040
    dynamo.alex
    Captain
    Captain

Registration date : 2012-11-20
    Number of posts : 945

Post by dynamo.alex Mon Mar 26, 2018 3:59 pm

this bottle looks amazing, just like new. brilliant find Alex, nice one.
    mylle
    mylle
    Lieutenant Colonel
    Lieutenant Colonel

Post by mylle Sun Aug 12, 2018 3:55 pm

Found some nice Flächentarn Sturmgepäcks, interestingly both are MdI stamped 1965 and 1966 but the inner side of the flap is made different.

My first NVA Flächentarn/Blumentarn set - Page 2 Img_2324

My first NVA Flächentarn/Blumentarn set - Page 2 Img_2325

My first NVA Flächentarn/Blumentarn set - Page 2 K800_i20

My first NVA Flächentarn/Blumentarn set - Page 2 K800_i18
    CollectinSteve
    CollectinSteve
    ADMIN
    ADMIN

Registration date : 2009-03-08
    Number of posts : 6888

Post by CollectinSteve Mon Aug 13, 2018 1:11 pm

I think the flap differences are a result of "whatever is lying around today" construction Very Happy

MdI for both of these is interesting. I've never heard a good explanation as to why Blumentarn and Strichtarn were produced in parallel and for both NVA and MdI.

Steve
    Haydamaka
    Haydamaka
    Colonel
    Colonel

Name : Andy
    Registration date : 2016-02-12
    Number of posts : 2687

Post by Haydamaka Sun Aug 19, 2018 6:00 pm

Good acquisitions, Alex!
    In my opinion, nowadays such stuff from NVA DDR looks very interesting and even exotic...

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:23 pm