IACMC MILITARIA FORUM

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

2 posters

Early BDU - Special Forces / Golden Knights

Wolverine
    Wolverine
    Major
    Major

Name : Andrew
    Registration date : 2014-01-18
    Number of posts : 1395

Early BDU - Special Forces / Golden Knights Empty Early BDU - Special Forces / Golden Knights

Post by Wolverine Sun Oct 16, 2016 7:32 pm

I don't usually post under this section, but I have been collecting US Army stuff since long before I got interested in Euro/NATO gear. Although I have probably way too many BDUs in my life already, sometimes I come across one that is really worth adding to the collection. Here is an example that turned up recently in a thrift store. It is a very early BDU with Elvis collar - a 1981 contract. There is a cut-edge SF patch on the right sleeve and a somewhat rare Golden Knights patch on the left sleeve. The Golden Knights is the US Army Parachute Team.

Given the SF patch, CIB, and early vintage of this jacket, it seems pretty likely that the soldier, SFC Roger Jutras, served in Vietnam. Some preliminary research shows that he was with the Golden Knights from 1978-84.

While the collar rank has been removed for some reason, the stitch outlines are visible.

The pathfinder and SCUBA badges are also very neat. In my experience, the SCUBA badge is one of the most uncommon to see on Army BDUs.

This jacket has been heavily tailored - pocket buttons are removed, flaps are sewn shut, and the sides have been taken in for a trim fit.

The early white tags are in pristine shape.

Early BDU - Special Forces / Golden Knights Golden13Early BDU - Special Forces / Golden Knights Golden11
    Early BDU - Special Forces / Golden Knights Golden10
    Early BDU - Special Forces / Golden Knights Golden14Early BDU - Special Forces / Golden Knights Golden12
    billygoat1967

Registration date : 2023-11-22
    Number of posts : 2

Early BDU - Special Forces / Golden Knights Empty Re: Early BDU - Special Forces / Golden Knights

Post by billygoat1967 Wed Nov 22, 2023 7:09 pm

You have a special jacket from a special person. I know because he is my brother-in-law. I can put a face to that jacket. Sadly, he passed away this past week at 80 years old.  Obituary below. He was a Golden Knight, a Ranger and a Delta. So, he was special.

Roger A. Jutras obituary, Pittsburgh, PA

Obituary published on Legacy.com by John A. Freyvogel Sons, Inc. Funeral Directors on Nov. 21, 2023.
    On Sunday, November 19, 2023, Roger A. Jutras (Roger Paras Ltd.) age 80, passed away peacefully at home. He was married to the love of his life, Katherine A. Paras, for over 35 years.
    He was a special uncle to Anthony McDonough. Also survived by daughter Sonia (Jerry) Holley and granddaughters Sara and Anna. Brother to Priscilla Page, Pauline Reardon and Roland (Connie) Jutras. Son-in-law to Orestes (Arlene) Paras. Brother-in-law to: Maria (Will) Minsinger, John (Diana) Paras, Debra Ciotola, Lilly Paras, Anthony (Kathleen) Paras, Connie (John) Jennings, Dean (Melissa) Paras and Michelle (James) Lapinski. He is preceded in death by parents Roger Jutras and Irene Quirk, daughter Kim Jutras, mother-in-law Lillian G. Paras, brother-in-law Russell Paras, nephew-in-law Ronald Regan, and great-nephew Peyton Regan.

Roger was a twenty-year US Army veteran where he served in Vietnam, was an Army Ranger, a founding member of Delta Force and Team Leader of the US Army Golden Knights Aerial Demonstration Parachute team for many years, with over 5,000 parachute jumps, performing in air shows across the country. Roger trained athletes and civilians after he retired. He also taught step aerobics and spinning classes and earned huge followings with his boot camp style of motivation. Friends will be received at John A. Freyvogel Sons, Inc. (freyvogelfuneralhome.com) 4900 Centre Avenue at Devonshire Street on Friday, November 24, 2023 from 2-4 and 6-8 p.m. with the Trisagion Service at 7:00 pm. Visitation will continue on Saturday November 25 from 10a.m. until an 11a.m. Funeral Service at St. Nicholas Greek Orthodox Cathedral, 419 S. Dithridge Street, Pittsburgh PA 15213. Interment to follow at Homewood Cemetery. S. Dallas Avenue

Last edited by billygoat1967 on Wed Nov 22, 2023 7:20 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : spelling)

HEB likes this post

Wolverine
    Wolverine
    Major
    Major

Name : Andrew
    Registration date : 2014-01-18
    Number of posts : 1395

Early BDU - Special Forces / Golden Knights Empty Re: Early BDU - Special Forces / Golden Knights

Post by Wolverine Wed Nov 22, 2023 11:53 pm

Thank for following up with this information. I am very sorry for your loss.
    billygoat1967

Registration date : 2023-11-22
    Number of posts : 2

Post by billygoat1967 Wed Dec 06, 2023 6:51 pm

Thanks for letting me tell you about Roger. The family knew he was in the military but didn't know to what extent. Last summer his wife took him to a VFW. The head guy there tried to look up his military service and there was a gap. His wife told him he was a Ranger and a Delta. The guy was floored. Delta's are ghosts. He was part of a team right under the president. I am not a military guy so I don't know how special that was until I researched it.

Roger never talked about his military service. He was mild mannered and very disciplined. He had a personal training business and was always promoting healthy food and life styles and physical fitness. He became ill a few years ago with dementia. He had a gradual decline and was bed bound at the end. I always wondered if things he was exposed to in the military contributed to his decline.

Obituary https://obituaries.post-gazette.com/obituary/roger-a-jutras-1089078399

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:25 am