IACMC MILITARIA FORUM

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+2
CollectinSteve
Wolverine
6 posters

Jump Helmet with Old School Camouflage Cover

Wolverine
    Wolverine
    Major
    Major

Name : Andrew
    Registration date : 2014-01-18
    Number of posts : 1395

Jump Helmet with Old School Camouflage Cover Empty Jump Helmet with Old School Camouflage Cover

Post by Wolverine Fri Oct 21, 2016 1:19 pm

Here is my new BW para helmet with a camo cover that has been sewn together from three pieces of Liebermuster (if that is the right term).

Jump Helmet with Old School Camouflage Cover Bw_par10
    CollectinSteve
    CollectinSteve
    ADMIN
    ADMIN

Registration date : 2009-03-08
    Number of posts : 6906

Jump Helmet with Old School Camouflage Cover Empty Re: Jump Helmet with Old School Camouflage Cover

Post by CollectinSteve Fri Oct 21, 2016 6:27 pm

Nice. These helmets come up fairly frequently, as opposed to the earlier WW2 type. They were also exported to Belgium and (IIRC) South Africa. Some were further modified by police forces (in particular Baden-Württemberg) for their special operations units (SEK).

The cover is made from shelter half material, known as either M56 or Amoebatarn. Leibermuster was developed at the end of WW2 and was used briefly by the Bundeswehr. The Swiss "Alpenflage" is almost a straight copy of Leibermuster. So when you think Leibermuster, think Swiss.

The helmet net was standard issue and can be found on BW helmets in general.

Steve
    masive
    masive
    Junior Sergeant
    Junior Sergeant

Name : Marc
    Registration date : 2016-10-11
    Number of posts : 105

Jump Helmet with Old School Camouflage Cover Empty Re: Jump Helmet with Old School Camouflage Cover

Post by masive Sat Oct 22, 2016 3:05 am

Nice helmet. Could you please Show a Photo from the interior?
    Gulf91
    Colonel
    Colonel

Registration date : 2011-05-13
    Number of posts : 3858

Post by Gulf91 Sat Oct 22, 2016 4:04 am

I have a nice one(no cover) for sale if anyone interested.
    loski
    loski
    Captain
    Captain

Name : Graham
    Registration date : 2010-08-11
    Number of posts : 919

Post by loski Sat Oct 22, 2016 8:16 am

Gulf91 wrote:I have a nice one(no cover) for sale if anyone interested.
    Hi Gulf Do you still have it and what are you asking for it
    Gulf91
    Colonel
    Colonel

Registration date : 2011-05-13
    Number of posts : 3858

Post by Gulf91 Sat Oct 22, 2016 8:37 am

I do Graham, will be in touch when I get home from work. Thanks.
    Wolverine
    Wolverine
    Major
    Major

Post by Wolverine Sat Oct 22, 2016 12:39 pm

CollectinSteve wrote:Nice.  These helmets come up fairly frequently, as opposed to the earlier WW2 type.  They were also exported to Belgium and (IIRC) South Africa.  Some were further modified by police forces (in particular Baden-Württemberg) for their special operations units (SEK).

The cover is made from shelter half material, known as either M56 or Amoebatarn.  Leibermuster was developed at the end of WW2 and was used briefly by the Bundeswehr.  The Swiss "Alpenflage" is almost a straight copy of Leibermuster.  So when you think Leibermuster, think Swiss.

The helmet net was standard issue and can be found on BW helmets in general.

Steve

Yes, I also have a Belgian example, which has a Belgian NSN.

I was uncertain about the correct name for the camouflage pattern - I know the story about the late-war Liebermuster, but when I referred to the BW shelter halves as amoeba, I was once corrected by a German who said that everyone he knew also referred to amoeba as Liebermuster.
    Wolverine
    Wolverine
    Major
    Major

Post by Wolverine Sat Oct 22, 2016 1:02 pm

masive wrote:Nice helmet. Could you please Show a Photo from the interior?

Here is the interior of the BW helmet:
    Jump Helmet with Old School Camouflage Cover P1030910

And here is the Belgian one, showing the Belgian NSN:
    Jump Helmet with Old School Camouflage Cover P1030911
    Jump Helmet with Old School Camouflage Cover Airbor10
    masive
    masive
    Junior Sergeant
    Junior Sergeant

Name : Marc
    Registration date : 2016-10-11
    Number of posts : 105

Post by masive Sun Oct 23, 2016 3:13 am

Thank you.
    CollectinSteve
    CollectinSteve
    ADMIN
    ADMIN

Post by CollectinSteve Mon Oct 24, 2016 12:18 am

Wolverine wrote:halves as amoeba, I was once corrected by a German who said that everyone he knew also referred to amoeba as Liebermuster.

Heh... well, in my time (and eBay pretty much any day of the week) I've never known any German collector who refers to it as Leibermuster (note the ei ie difference).  I know you aren't the one claiming "everybody says it's this way", so what I'm about to write is a challenge to whomever told you that Amoebatarn = Leibermuster.

Leibermuster is an established pattern name that shouldn't be subjected to collector renaming whims, but there's no naming police and therefore it does happen.  It's like some British collectors who insist on calling every green camouflage pattern "DPM".  Sure, they can do that without fear of fines or incarceration, but they should not do it Very Happy  It also is confusing because of the experimental uniform the BW used which was Leibermuster based.

Whatever one wants to call the shelter half pattern, it's not Leibermuster by virtue of it not being Leibermuster Very Happy  I'm not sure that M56 is it's official designation, though it is used by many and at least it doesn't confuse anything since there was no other shelter half made in 1956 other than this type.

Wolverine wrote:And here is the Belgian one, showing the Belgian NSN:

Nice!  I am not sure I have seen a Belgian NSN for this helmet type before.  I presumed that Belgium just got a bunch of surplus helmets from the BW, however this seems to indicate that Belgium placed an order directly from the manufacturer (IIRC Schuthbert).  Though if you find a German NSN somewhere that would put me back to my original assumption.

Steve

Last edited by CollectinSteve on Mon Oct 24, 2016 1:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Wolverine
    Wolverine
    Major
    Major

Post by Wolverine Mon Oct 24, 2016 1:17 pm

I hear you Steve - no arguments here. And yes, I am embarrassed that I spelled Leibermuster incorrectly.

About the Belgian jump helmet, I strongly suspect that these were ordered through a proper contract from one of the three or four manufacturers that made them in Germany. Two of the German makers were Schuberth and Vereinigte Deutsche Nikkelwerke - Belgium ordered M51 helmets from VDN for sure, so they might also have ordered the jump helmets. I think PSL and possibly one other company also made the jump helmets in Germany. In any case, BW examples are normally marked with German NSNs, in contrast to the Belgian ones like mine that has a factory-applied Belgian NSN. Without removing the liner, I cannot read the maker's name.
    CollectinSteve
    CollectinSteve
    ADMIN
    ADMIN

Post by CollectinSteve Mon Oct 24, 2016 1:29 pm

Wolverine wrote:I hear you Steve - no arguments here. And yes, I am embarrassed that I spelled Leibermuster incorrectly.

I just butchered Schuberth's name, so I think we're even Smile

About the Belgian jump helmet, I strongly suspect that these were ordered through a proper contract from one of the three or four manufacturers that made them in Germany. Two of the German makers were Schuberth and Vereinigte Deutsche Nikkelwerke - Belgium ordered M51 helmets from VDN for sure, so they might also have ordered the jump helmets. I think PSL and possibly one other company also made the jump helmets in Germany. In any case, BW examples are normally marked with German NSNs, in contrast to the Belgian ones like mine that has a factory-applied Belgian NSN. Without removing the liner, I cannot read the maker's name.

Thinking about it now, that makes far more sense that these helmets were direct purchase vs. surplus. Germany used their own helmets for a very long time and I doubt they had large enough surplus for such use and handing over to Belgium. And as you say, there's a long history of Belgium acquiring items from foreign contractors, so there's that as well.

Steve
    bolo
    bolo
    Junior Sergeant
    Junior Sergeant

Registration date : 2009-09-23
    Number of posts : 76

Jump Helmet with Old School Camouflage Cover Empty Belgian Hybrid

Post by bolo Sat Dec 31, 2016 2:17 am

Jump Helmet with Old School Camouflage Cover 2016-111
    Jump Helmet with Old School Camouflage Cover 2016-011

Belgium Hybrid para helmet  made for a short time, limited production

some time in the mid 1980s? the Belgians bought in an unusual hybrid helmet, which had the M1A1LL shell and the liner of the French F1 series 2.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:41 am