Wolverine
    Senior Lieutenant
    Senior Lieutenant

Name : Andrew
    Registration date : 2014-01-18
    Number of posts : 827

Prewar Dutch Knapsack

Post by Wolverine on Sat Jan 07, 2017 5:21 pm

Here is an item that I recently discovered in a local flea market. It appears to be a Dutch M1915 knapsack. The Dutch war ministry strmp is clearly visible, along with the date, 1924, and a maker's mark. It is really in quite good shape for its age, although it is not a very durable piece of kit to begin with. If not for the hours I spent studying Robert Fisch's book Field Equipment of the Infantry, 1914-1945 as a boy, I might have passed this over as a boy scout pack. These sometimes turn up in photos of the 1940 campaign, although I think they might have been obsolescent by then.

How did such an obscure item find its way to a flea market in southern Ontario? Well, after 1945, many Dutch families arrived in this part of Canada to start farms, and most of them continue to or three generations later. I suspect that an immigrant must have brought it over after the war, and perhaps it was recently sold at an estate sale or yard sale. In any case, I was very happy to find it!

masive
    Junior Sergeant
    Junior Sergeant

Name : Marc
    Registration date : 2016-10-11
    Number of posts : 81

Re: Prewar Dutch Knapsack

Post by masive on Tue Jan 10, 2017 6:03 am

Nice Item in very good condition.
    I have a m1915 knapsack too. In not so good condtion like yours, but it is OK.
    Some Details are different.

Wolverine
    Senior Lieutenant
    Senior Lieutenant

Post by Wolverine on Tue Jan 10, 2017 12:02 pm

That is quite an early one that you have Marc. It has some interesting differences: reinforced bottom, with no straps for attaching the mess kit, and different style of shoulder straps. Most of the examples that I have seen in pictures online seem closer to the one that you have than mine. Are there any other maker's marks on yours?
    masive
    Junior Sergeant
    Junior Sergeant

Name : Marc
    Registration date : 2016-10-11
    Number of posts : 81

Post by masive on Wed Jan 11, 2017 3:46 am

Hey Andrew, there are no other markings on it. Regarding to a Dutch collector, the H 35 means, that this Item was reissued in the year 1935. "H" means "Hospitaalsoldaat".
    Wolverine
    Senior Lieutenant
    Senior Lieutenant

Post by Wolverine on Wed Jan 11, 2017 1:24 pm

Thanks Marc for the information. I think that this prewar/1940 Dutch equipment must be somewhat scarce.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon Oct 23, 2017 4:59 am