TennoHeikaNate
    Corporal
    Corporal

Name : Nate
    Registration date : 2013-10-16
    Number of posts : 57

My JSDF Stuff

Post by TennoHeikaNate on Thu Jan 19, 2017 1:16 am

My first "hard to get items" were Japanese and since then I've had an unusual interest in getting JSDF items. Here are the things I've collected so far:

First up, a "Jieitai" uniform named to Sgt. Koyama of "Eastward Transport", 1990's era.

A matching boonie, unsure of era, tag and chinstrap are missing.

A "Fang" shirt, named to Sgt. Maj. Tahara, unsure of unit, guessing 2nd Infantry. Dated 1980, has a glow-in-the-dark tag sewed into the back of the collar.
    I've seen some of these dated early as 1976, although I can't find any photos that old.

My first pair of Fang trousers, dated 1983. The "Fang" uniform was also allegedly called the "Mk. 1 Camouflage Uniform", and the "Jieitai" camo was the Mk. 2 and 3.

My second, heavily starched and still with lot# tags sewed in, also 1983.

The second pair also have two unusual OD nylon snap loops on the back, maybe for a web belt or equipment? I've never seen these on any other Japanese trousers.

A Fang ridgeway style cap, name and unit of a "Tagawa" on the interior. Has a tag, but production dates on caps for some reason are rare. Guessing 1980's.

A deployment cap in Fang for an airborne fellow. I've seen quite a few of these for Navy, a few for Air Force, several Jieitai ones, but I've only across maybe two of these in Fang.

A Type 65 uniform, all dated in the 90's to a Lt. Murata of the 28th Infantry Division.

2nd Type 65 shirt named to Staff Sgt. Takeshi, not sure of unit. Dated 1993.

And my third Type 65, sterilized, dated 1981.

A Type 65 cap, named to "Miyauchi" with an unusual unit patch on the back. Officer's badge on the front. The old T65 caps had lace headbands like the old IJA caps but the Fang cap has a strip of elastic. Not sure about the new Jieitai caps.

A T65 cap with an NCO's cockade, parade version.

As I understand it the Type 65 is still worn today for trainee's and as a work uniform.

A Type 70 visor for an enlisted man. Unfortunately has seen a lot of wear, the visor and front half of the headband have separated. Has the oh-so-desirable saddle sag as well.

A JMSDF "Umiji" general working cap, based off the Catalina cap. Acquired from a Marine who got it in 1984.

A JASDF High-Vis flightsuit, dated 1991. I wish this still had the insignia on it.

Enjoy!

-Nate
    jimmyduncan23
    Major
    Major

Registration date : 2011-07-29
    Number of posts : 1178

Re: My JSDF Stuff

Post by jimmyduncan23 on Thu Jan 19, 2017 1:33 am

Nice collection, the Japanese camo is hard to find
    ripcord
    Lieutenant Colonel
    Lieutenant Colonel

Registration date : 2012-12-29
    Number of posts : 1737

Post by ripcord on Thu Jan 19, 2017 1:50 am

Impressive collection of rarely seen Japanese uniforms.

Thanks for posting..

S

mrf2
    Corporal
    Corporal

Registration date : 2012-05-19
    Number of posts : 20

Post by mrf2 on Fri Jan 20, 2017 1:15 am

Great collection! I'm a big fan of the "fang" camo too! I've got a set but have never come across a cap, lucky dog!
    TennoHeikaNate
    Corporal
    Corporal

Post by TennoHeikaNate on Tue Feb 07, 2017 5:35 pm

Picked up a new uniform the other day

First up is a Type 65 set, badged to PFC Tajima of the 7th Division, 3rd Battalion.
    No date on the tag, I believe this is a PX purchase uniform as I have never seen a Type 65 that didn't have the JSDF proof mark and production info.
    The pants are fairly worn, and the shirt has the old white colored sleeve chevrons, I believe is from the 70's.
    The 1950's JGSDF uniforms had white insignia tapes, as most JSDF equipment at the time that wasn't hand-me-down from the US, was a heavily copied item of the US.
    I don't know the JSDF's old rank placement system, I believe NCO and higher ranks are moved to the collar.

Also that came, a Type 65 field jacket, dated 1979. These are quite rare, as I've only seen one other, and I'm still searching for at least one photo of it being worn.

The insignia tape is sadly worn away, from what I can tell it appears to be named to SFC Keizatsu, also of the 3rd Bat., 7th Div.
    Also has white chevrons, although moved to the collar. It has a zip front that only slightly overlaps, four pockets, strangely the bottom pockets have no closures. Also wide epaulets to run suspender/yoke straps under.

This jacket has a fairly nice hood that buttons to the underside of the collar, has a drawstring adjustment, and a two button front.
    The hood, interior of the pockets, and upper half of the interior of the jacket are nylon/nylon lined for waterproofing.

And if there's one thing I love as much as collecting, it's finding reference photos of the stuff in use!

This is the Type 65 parka, never seen one before, so I'm keeping my eye out for one.

I'm not sure what uniform this is with the exposed buttons, as other photos show that female soldiers wear the same model uniform

The high-vis flightsuit. I had another photo of one from the JSDF magazine but seem to have lost it.

Here you can see the old Fang helmet cover worn on the new Type 88 helmet with the winter/autumn Jieitai uniform

Enjoy!
    -Nate
    ripcord
    Lieutenant Colonel
    Lieutenant Colonel

Registration date : 2012-12-29
    Number of posts : 1737

Post by ripcord on Tue Feb 07, 2017 5:53 pm

Another outstanding post !!

Great olive green pieces and really good photos..

S
    TennoHeikaNate
    Corporal
    Corporal

Post by TennoHeikaNate on Tue Feb 07, 2017 6:40 pm

Thanks guys, it may not be one of the most popular collecting areas, but it certainly is fun!
    TennoHeikaNate
    Corporal
    Corporal

Post by TennoHeikaNate on Mon Feb 20, 2017 8:26 am

Got a couple of things, first is a new Fang shirt, this one is missing the name and tag, however it still has the rank.
    It is for a "Leading Private" which can best be described as a slightly higher up Private First Class.

Also my sister, who lives in Japan and knows of my hobby, sent this patch as a little trinket. I haven't been able to find out what unit it is from but I was very fond of it.

If anyone happens to know, please let me as well!
    And some more reference photos

Some Type 65 field jackets in this one as well!

Enjoy!
    -Nate

/k/oreaboo
    Corporal
    Corporal

Registration date : 2015-11-08
    Number of posts : 33

Post by /k/oreaboo on Mon Feb 20, 2017 2:01 pm

TennoHeikaNate wrote:Got a couple of things, first is a new Fang shirt, this one is missing the name and tag, however it still has the rank.
    It is for a "Leading Private" which can best be described as a slightly higher up Private First Class.

Also my sister, who lives in Japan and knows of my hobby, sent this patch as a little trinket. I haven't been able to find out what unit it is from but I was very fond of it.

If anyone happens to know, please let me as well!
    And some more reference photos

Some Type 65 field jackets in this one as well!

Enjoy!
    -Nate

Patch is US Army, Japan
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Army,_Japan

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Oct 22, 2017 12:41 pm