TennoHeikaNate
    Corporal
    Corporal

Name : Nate
    Registration date : 2013-10-16
    Number of posts : 57

My Dutch Stuff

Post by TennoHeikaNate on Fri Feb 10, 2017 7:25 pm

I don't have a whole lot yet, but still some of my favorite things.

First up are a couple of simple long-sleeve button DPM shirts, both dated 1990.

An M78 jacket, also dated 1990 and with the wool vest liner. No hood unfortunately.

A jungle camouflage shirt, no date. Guessing 1990's as well?

An M58 HBT shirt, dated 1971

Matching trousers M58 "Binnenbroek", dated 1970.

And a cap, although I'm not sure the designation. Looks like it would match the M78 jacket, and it's dated 1984.
    Might be M58 and never updated and worn with the M78, but I don't know. I base all these designations off of michelwijnand's display thread.
    If anyone knows what model it is or can provide any corrections to anything I've listed, you're always welcome to!

I apologize if some of the photos are reposts, I can't really recall what's been posted before or not, and I don't have a lot of Dutch photos.
    Nevertheless, enjoy!

-Nate

Wolverine
    Senior Lieutenant
    Senior Lieutenant

Name : Andrew
    Registration date : 2014-01-18
    Number of posts : 825

Re: My Dutch Stuff

Post by Wolverine on Fri Feb 10, 2017 8:06 pm

The heavy combat jacket is actually also an M58 model - it is the outer jacket, and there were also outer trousers, which were double weight. The field cap is designated M53, if I recall correctly. The best reference on this clothing is the large book by M. Talens. Let me know if you need a hood for your combat jacket.

michelwijnand
    Junior Sergeant
    Junior Sergeant

Name : Michel Wijnand
    Registration date : 2016-11-09
    Number of posts : 170

Post by michelwijnand on Sat Feb 25, 2017 11:27 am

Field cap is also M58, before that there were no fieldcaps.
    M78 should be correct for the jacket, as the outer uniforms also changed in the 70's, the final form being standardized in 1978.
    Before that I've seen jackets from 1973 until 78 with varying features, like exposed pocket buttons and deletion of the extra flap closing the collar front.
    Wolverine
    Senior Lieutenant
    Senior Lieutenant

Post by Wolverine on Sat Feb 25, 2017 9:23 pm

I rechecked M. Talens's book Van Grijsgroen Naar Camouflage - admittedly my reading comprehension of Dutch is limited, but I can find no trace of an official M78 designation for a modified or updated version of the M58 outer jacket. (See page 144-47.) I don't doubt that there were changes in design, but it doesn't seem to have changed the model designation or stock numbers.

Talens states that the designation for the field cap is M53 (See page 150). (I am pretty sure that I have one dated 1954 or 1955, so I reckon that they must have existed before 1958 - I will look for it.)

Wolverine
    Senior Lieutenant
    Senior Lieutenant

Post by Wolverine on Sun Feb 26, 2017 3:56 pm

Here it is - 1955.

michelwijnand
    Junior Sergeant
    Junior Sergeant

Name : Michel Wijnand
    Registration date : 2016-11-09
    Number of posts : 170

Post by michelwijnand on Sun Feb 26, 2017 4:01 pm

That looks like it has a hard flap, does it?
    If so, it would be some different model than the regular ones
    Wolverine
    Senior Lieutenant
    Senior Lieutenant

Post by Wolverine on Sun Feb 26, 2017 7:05 pm

No, it is virtually identical to other ones I have from the 1970s or 1980s. The peak just appears stiff because it has never been worn.

There are some minor variations among different caps - some have eyelets, others do not; some have a seam centred at the front, others do not. I think these are simply minor production variations, not model changes. Talens mentions only the Model 53 for the army, until the DPM caps were introduced. It is the case that these caps were introduced a few years before the M58 field uniforms. There is no such thing as an M58 cap according to Talens's inventory of Dutch field clothing.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Oct 20, 2017 4:01 am