Ukrainian police Flecktarn

CollectinSteve
    ADMIN
    ADMIN

Registration date : 2009-03-08
    Number of posts : 5917

Ukrainian police Flecktarn

Post by CollectinSteve on Thu Mar 16, 2017 12:09 pm

I'm wondering what people can tell me about these uniforms I have. The uniform itself is intended for police special action units. You can clearly see that in the letters stenciled on the front and back (a typical Ukrainian/Soviet practice). However, both uniforms were used by non-Police units.

The first is a winter uniform. It is made out of a highly synthetic (100%, probably) cloth which is smooth and slippery. It is badged for a unit of foreign volunteers fighting in Ukraine. I do not recognize the red backed chest badge.

The second uniform is a rugged summer ripstop uniform badged for Ukraine National Guard, but I do not recognize the unit badge. Currently there are National Guard troops in this uniform dealing with economic blockades at the frontline with the DPR/LPR.

Both uniforms were made in 2015.

Steve
    mylle
    Lieutenant Colonel
    Lieutenant Colonel

Name : Alex
    Registration date : 2013-10-18
    Number of posts : 1542

Re: Ukrainian police Flecktarn

Post by mylle on Thu Mar 16, 2017 12:51 pm

The nevery ending story with Ukranian camos goes on.... Interesting about the ,,Militsiya,, signs, since this unit was replaced by the National Police in 2015. No idea if that stuff is
    in widespread use or just some of the probably 1000 tested, private or unit-purchased pieces.
    The cut is quite different than the uniforms of the regular army. Also I couldn't tell which piece is actually
    ,,real,, or just put together to make some extra profit on ebay. The same story with the huge variety of knock-off commercial stuff using
    issued camo patterns. Besides that, a nice find IMHO.
    CollectinSteve
    ADMIN
    ADMIN

Registration date : 2009-03-08
    Number of posts : 5917

Post by CollectinSteve on Thu Mar 16, 2017 6:06 pm

Thanks for the input. It is a mystery Wink

I bought both off the same guy in Germany and he's had quite a lot of interesting Ukrainian stuff over the past year or so. IIRC I got my gray/blue digital National Guard winter uniform from him as well. So I'm sure that whatever these things are, they came from active use in Ukraine.

Both uniforms have labels that are, mostly, readable. Different manufacturers. They have pockets and features consistent with modern Ukrainian uniforms, though as you point out they aren't exactly the same.

The summer Flecktarn uniform is actually nearly identical to the olive green (solid color) National Guard uniform issued around the same time. The only differences I can see is that the National Guard jacket has two exposed buttons; one at the neck and one at the bottom of the zipper. Also, I don't think the National Guard has a vented "cape" shoulder like the Flecktarn one.

The winter Flecktarn set shares some features of the National Guard digital winter jacket, but there are many differences.

It would probably be helpful to get the unit badge on the summer uniform and the chest badge on the winter uniform identified. That could lead us in the right direction. Or at least not head us in the wrong one Very Happy

Steve

dynamo.alex
    Officer Candidate
    Officer Candidate

Name : Alex
    Registration date : 2012-11-20
    Number of posts : 528

Post by dynamo.alex on Fri Mar 17, 2017 4:37 pm

very nice and interesting uniforms indeed and as Alex said, another mistery ... the uniform itself came into trial use in 2015, somewhat around spring time and was started to be rolled out to all special police forces in mid/end 2015 - early 2016 ... It was intended for special police units (like russ. OMON etc.), hence the different cut compared to army uniforms. the idea furthermore was to have a clear distinction between military unit cuts and sheer police force uniforms. So seeing the 'Militsiya' labels could mean that it was in use, for testing, perhaps with some Police units before renaming 'Militsiya' to National Police on November 7th 2015. It was surely only done by a few units.
    Coming to the patches, when the war dragged on in eastern ukraine (donbass) some right wing units like 'UKROP' (ukr: УКРОП) received police uniforms or have helped themselves from warehouses of Interior troops and labelled them with all sorts of more or less (from an official point of view) incorrect patches, such as National Guards patches. This could explain the rather 'wild' patching of your sets. (the aforementionend btw is input from Ukrainian sources, who to some extend have been to the Donbass region recently) ... Now my guess is, that your uniforms have actually seen action in Eastern Ukraine and where used by UKROP units. The maroon breast patch on the jacket in your upper picture reads: 'Україна - Внутрішні війська' eng: 'Ukraine - Internal Troops' ... the left arm patch on the same jacket is the aforementioned 'UKROP' (ukr: УКРОП) patch, which is strange as UKROP is no part of Internal troops, but a nationalist right wing political party. the patch on the right sleeve on your second jacket reads: 'недершавна слушба безпеки' meaning 'public services security' ... so do we know more now???? Question Rolling Eyes Smile ... well it is another one of those Ukrainian mysteries ...

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Oct 20, 2017 12:18 am