IACMC MILITARIA FORUM

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

4 posters

Holster and lizard tent halve ID needed

michelwijnand
    michelwijnand
    Lieutenant
    Lieutenant

Name : Michel Wijnand
    Registration date : 2016-11-09
    Number of posts : 792

Holster and lizard tent halve ID needed Empty Holster and lizard tent halve ID needed

Post by michelwijnand Sun Oct 08, 2017 10:38 am

Just 2 items in this pic need identification, the darkgreen holster in the top row, and the lizard camo tent halve.
    The rest I already know.

The holster has British style C hooks on the back.

The seller of the tent thought it was South African, but I don't know if they actually made stuff in this camo.
    There's a few countries around the eare that did use it though, along with Cubans, so that might be a hint.

Holster and lizard tent halve ID needed Dsc03837
    Carlito
    Corporal
    Corporal

Registration date : 2011-03-05
    Number of posts : 23

Holster and lizard tent halve ID needed Empty Re: Holster and lizard tent halve ID needed

Post by Carlito Wed Oct 11, 2017 8:38 am

Are there any markings or plastic toggle buttons on the shelter half? Could be made from bosnian serbs or cubans, in my opinion.

Carlo
    michelwijnand
    michelwijnand
    Lieutenant
    Lieutenant

Name : Michel Wijnand
    Registration date : 2016-11-09
    Number of posts : 792

Holster and lizard tent halve ID needed Empty Re: Holster and lizard tent halve ID needed

Post by michelwijnand Wed Oct 11, 2017 2:18 pm

I wanted to check out the tent more, but I mistakenly put it in a bag of stuff I took to my storage yesterday, I'll take it back tomorrow to give it a better look.

I don't remember my JNA and Serb tents having plastic toggles though, IIRC they had little strings instead.
    And my Serb tigerstripe tent at least has different eyelets too, wider flanged. I'll dig out my OD, MOL and M93 ones to see the eyelets and to make sure if they have toggles.
    CollectinSteve
    CollectinSteve
    ADMIN
    ADMIN

Registration date : 2009-03-08
    Number of posts : 6888

Post by CollectinSteve Wed Oct 11, 2017 3:07 pm

Shelter halves and quarters usually have nation specific features on them. Not just fasteners and grommets, but the construction of the cloth. JNA/Yugo shelter halves have distinct features which can be compared against your sample.

I have pictures of a Yugo/Serb shelter half which has metal grommets along the edges, so I suspect you are correct that this is not Yugo/Serb. I do not know if Cuba used shelter halves in camo, but it is entirely possible. The other possibility is an export item for some of the Communist guerilla organizations that were equipped with items from European Communist countries.

Steve
    Camonut314
    Camonut314
    Senior Sergeant
    Senior Sergeant

Registration date : 2011-12-12
    Number of posts : 399

Post by Camonut314 Thu Oct 12, 2017 12:06 pm

I have seen a "Cuban" lizard camouflage shelter half that was captured in Angola during the Bush Wars (with a nice perforation running through it from a bullet). So they did make the shelter halves in lizard camouflage in the Cuban lizard, as to whether or not they were solely for export or actually used by Cuba remains to be seen, but I would not doubt that they would use such equipment.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:41 pm