IACMC MILITARIA FORUM

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

3 posters

Unknown Drillich tunic, unknown woodland helmet cover and helmet net.

michelwijnand
    michelwijnand
    Lieutenant
    Lieutenant

Name : Michel Wijnand
    Registration date : 2016-11-09
    Number of posts : 792

Unknown Drillich tunic, unknown woodland helmet cover and helmet net. Empty Unknown Drillich tunic, unknown woodland helmet cover and helmet net.

Post by michelwijnand Fri Dec 29, 2017 1:54 pm

No idea where this is from, maybe others know it?

No markings inside, just a few numbers for fabrication I think, no buttons anymore, tube-like shoulderboard loops.

Unknown Drillich tunic, unknown woodland helmet cover and helmet net. Dsc04110
    Unknown Drillich tunic, unknown woodland helmet cover and helmet net. Dsc04111

And then I have these, the Woodland M1 cover is entirely unmarked, white inside, and worn.
    The net has a strange structure, as seen on the 2nd photo.

Pouch unrelated.

Unknown Drillich tunic, unknown woodland helmet cover and helmet net. Dsc04137
    Unknown Drillich tunic, unknown woodland helmet cover and helmet net. Dsc04138
    Wolverine
    Wolverine
    Major
    Major

Name : Andrew
    Registration date : 2014-01-18
    Number of posts : 1395

Unknown Drillich tunic, unknown woodland helmet cover and helmet net. Empty Re: Unknown Drillich tunic, unknown woodland helmet cover and helmet net.

Post by Wolverine Fri Dec 29, 2017 8:19 pm

I have found covers like the one above mixed in with Dutch DPM covers for the M53.
    CollectinSteve
    CollectinSteve
    ADMIN
    ADMIN

Registration date : 2009-03-08
    Number of posts : 6888

Unknown Drillich tunic, unknown woodland helmet cover and helmet net. Empty Re: Unknown Drillich tunic, unknown woodland helmet cover and helmet net.

Post by CollectinSteve Sat Dec 30, 2017 12:55 am

I agree with Andrew that the cover is likely not US.  Given where you are, it's probably Dutch.

As for the Drillichjacke, it's quite probably 1950s or early 1960s BRD Polizei or some other law enforcement related organization (Zoll, Justiz, etc.).  It's a very under documented period of time with little interest from collectors.  Which means there's not much interest in gathering and promoting knowledge about this time period.  A real pity for those of us who are interested (me!), but aren't in a good position to gather information (me again!).

Due to the low interest they aren't worth much on eBay, which is nice for the few of us that like these things.  Well, unless I go to sell my stuff... then I'm going to be pretty sad because the postage I paid from Germany is probably more than what I'll get for the stuff Sad  Still, I'm sure I can give you a better deal if you want to move it along. If you're looking to sell or trade it, please let me know.

Steve
    michelwijnand
    michelwijnand
    Lieutenant
    Lieutenant

Name : Michel Wijnand
    Registration date : 2016-11-09
    Number of posts : 792

Post by michelwijnand Thu Jan 18, 2018 3:50 pm

So the Drillich turned out to be Italian police.

Not sure about the helmet cover, where it came from there's endless crates with random international surplus kit, and the material of the cover is different than any other Dutch cover, as is the construction because all other Dutch M1 type covers have 4-fingers.
    Dutch covers are also actually marked except for 1 type of early kevlar helmet cover.
    And the only Dutch branch that uses US woodland is the Marine Corps, whose uniforms from 1992 until the end of the steel helmet era were actual US ones with shoulder epaulets added, so it doesn't really fit in any of those fields.

And the net is still a mystery, I'd really like to find out what it is so I can give it it's rightful place on a helmet

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:25 pm