Can you help ID this shirt?

mickjeco

Registration date : 2017-10-19
    Number of posts : 5

Can you help ID this shirt?

Post by mickjeco on Wed Jan 31, 2018 9:34 pm

I got this OG shirt as part of a trade with another collector at a gun show. He in turn received it from another collector, who said he was unsure, but thought it might be a sanitized jacket worn by Special Forces in Vietnam.

It's unusual for a number of reasons:

1) The weave is a herringbone-type olive green. It's not particularly light, as one would expect from an early jungle fatigue. Nor is it particularly heavy, just a solid constructed medium-weight fatigue-type shirt.

2) There is only one label inside the collar, and it is so faded as to be illegible.  There are no other markings, military or civilian inside.

3) There are no signs any patches, rank insignia, etc. were ever sewn on it, nor any stenciled-on insignia.

4) There are functional shoulder epaulettes.

5) The bottom hem is cut flat across, and does not seem to be intended to be tucked in the waistline.

6) The pockets are horizontally parallel, and not sewn on at a slant as seemed to be common with jungle fatigues. There are only flap pockets on the upper half, not the bottom half. Buttons are exposed.

7) A real oddity: There are no buttons on the sleeve at the wrist, nor button holes. I don't know if this was designed to make it easier to roll up, but the sleeves are a little tight so this wouldn't have been easy. I have a relatively long arm length (36" in a dress shirt) and this seems a little long for me, stopping at about mid-thumb.

There are no size markings. I'm 6'1 and 205 and it fits me pretty well, like an XL shirt. It does not appear to have been sized for, say, an Asian market.

Any idea what this is? From the fabric and light fraying, I would guess it to have been made and used sometime in the 1960s, but I could be wrong. It has a general military appearance, but could also be a man's civilian work shirt, or even some kind of uniform for someone in a service trade. I know there were some off-brand, usually better construction fatigue shirts and pants that were available in the PXs, and some (like the Trooper brand) had epaulettes. You can see some of those fatigues with epaulettes on photos of early military advisers in Vietnam. Could be this was one of those shirts?

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Wolverine
    Captain
    Captain

Name : Andrew
    Registration date : 2014-01-18
    Number of posts : 992

Re: Can you help ID this shirt?

Post by Wolverine on Thu Feb 01, 2018 12:05 am

Looks like a Dutch M58 to me.

mickjeco

Post by mickjeco on Thu Feb 01, 2018 1:04 am

Wolverine wrote:Looks like a Dutch M58 to me.

Thanks, I'll check that out.

mickjeco

Post by mickjeco on Thu Feb 01, 2018 1:09 am

I found a photo on http://iacmc.forumotion.com/t11621-my-dutch-stuff and it looks like an exact match, you nailed it. Thanks, Wolverine!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed Sep 19, 2018 7:40 pm