IACMC MILITARIA FORUM

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

2 posters

Bulgarian M36C camo painted helmet

austromunga
    austromunga
    Sergeant
    Sergeant

Registration date : 2014-11-24
    Number of posts : 267

Bulgarian M36C camo painted helmet Empty Bulgarian M36C camo painted helmet

Post by austromunga Thu Mar 15, 2018 6:49 pm

Hi all
    Picked this nice camo painted Bulgarian M36C up at the local militaria fair....
    As I really loved the camo pattern!!... the hand painted Bulgarian tri-colour is also still just visible beneath the camo overpaint too!!!!
    And ...also the graffiti/ owners name/unit???? on the decent size "59" leather head band, really add to its history!!...if only.... I could read Bulgarian!! Wink

a translation would be much appreciated!! Very Happy
    many thanks... Cool

Bulgarian M36C camo painted helmet Imag2342

Bulgarian M36C camo painted helmet Imag2343

Bulgarian M36C camo painted helmet Imag2344

Bulgarian M36C camo painted helmet Imag2345

Bulgarian M36C camo painted helmet Imag2346

Bulgarian M36C camo painted helmet Imag2347

Bulgarian M36C camo painted helmet Imag2348

Bulgarian M36C camo painted helmet Imag2349
    dynamo.alex
    Captain
    Captain

Registration date : 2012-11-20
    Number of posts : 945

Bulgarian M36C camo painted helmet Empty Re: Bulgarian M36C camo painted helmet

Post by dynamo.alex Sat Mar 17, 2018 3:58 am

Hello mate, nice find. It does tell a lot of stories. This helmet was used by at least two different soldiers, as I can make out two different names and two different locations (probably of the home garrisons). One I can make out clearly (on the 2nd pic from bottom - righthand side of your finger) is "е-р Христов - e-r Hristov" (Efreitor Hristov - Private first class Hristov). Next to his name is the garrison town name, abbreviated as Mih-Grad (Mihaylovgrad, now Montana). Next to it you can see a roman 1 (I) + R (bulg.: P) and "Ohrid", this is the units abbreviation 1st Platoon named after Ohrid (btw. a Lake and town in now Macedonia - also well known for a battle of ancient Bulgarian times). In front of the abovementioned name Hristov is another name, but I can't really make it out.
    On the 1st pic from bottom, the 59 is the head size, next to it the text which is clearly visible is another garrison town abbreviation D-Grad (Dimitrovgrad), wht is written below that, I can't make out, sorry. And then you can see МДБ (MDB) and БИК (BIK). MDB is the abbreviation for "Механизирана Димитровградска Бригада" - Dimitrovgrad Mechanized Brigade, now (as of 1992) officially known as the "61-ва Стрямска механизирана бригада" - 61st "Stryamska" Mechanized Brigade, Garrison HQ in Karlovo. As for БИК (BIK) I have to guess, since this abbrevation has got several meanings in Bulgarian, one and the main meaning is "Bull", so it could well be the nickname of the helmets former wearer.
    austromunga
    austromunga
    Sergeant
    Sergeant

Post by austromunga Sat Mar 17, 2018 6:06 am

Hey Alex

That's really fantastic!!!...thanks so much for the excellent translation!!!!...I will make sure this information is written up...and kept with the helmet!! Very Happy
    austromunga
    austromunga
    Sergeant
    Sergeant

Post by austromunga Sat Mar 17, 2018 7:58 am

A few more close ups of the hard to read sections...
    Do you think the camo paint would be added when Infantry used?? or Mechanised??? was it common practice to "dress up" camo these helmets???...as I cant seem to find any photos of anything similar!!??
    Had an idea on the "bull" inscription....if mechanised brigade... would they "name" their vehicles?? "BULL"??????....

Bulgarian M36C camo painted helmet Imag2417

Bulgarian M36C camo painted helmet Imag2418

Bulgarian M36C camo painted helmet Imag2419

dynamo.alex
    Captain
    Captain

Post by dynamo.alex Sat Mar 17, 2018 9:43 am

You are welcome. Yes used it and keep it eith the helmet. Smile It is defo a nice piece of history ...
    On your last pic I cannot make out what is written above the 59, looks like another name or like a signature or two. On the first picture the top one is the abbraviation Д-Град (D-Grad) for the Garrison Dimitrovgrad (а city in the south of Bulgaria - close to the Greek and Turkish Border). The Garrison there was heavily armed as it was so close to the border with the foes. They even used (as the one and only WP country, besides the USSR) the T-62 Tank.
    I spoke to a friend of mine (ex-Colonel Bulgarian Army) and showed him the thread pictures, he said that it was rather unusal to have the helmet painted like this (perhaps used by demobee) this could explain the several names in the liner. (peeps here used to sign parts of uniforms and gear as a farewell ritual). "Bull" is defo the nickname of the / or one of the wearers of the helmet or a comrade. They gave girls names to vehicles and weapons, as in almost every other army of the world.
    dynamo.alex
    Captain
    Captain

Post by dynamo.alex Sat Mar 17, 2018 9:46 am

ohh and btw. it doesn't matter if mechanized or infantry, well back then it was all either mechanized infantry when riding the BMP or motorized infantry when on BTRs.
    austromunga
    austromunga
    Sergeant
    Sergeant

Post by austromunga Sun Mar 18, 2018 7:38 am

Thanks again for the extra info Alex!!!! Cool Very Happy
    dynamo.alex
    Captain
    Captain

Post by dynamo.alex Sun Mar 18, 2018 10:23 am

anytime, I am glad I could help. Smile nice find anyway and an interesting story behind it.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:19 am