IACMC MILITARIA FORUM

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

5 posters

Estonian 1st type digital desert uniform

ripcord
    ripcord
    Colonel
    Colonel

Registration date : 2012-12-29
    Number of posts : 2771

Estonian 1st type digital desert uniform Empty Estonian 1st type digital desert uniform

Post by ripcord Fri Feb 14, 2020 6:19 pm

Estonian 1st type digi camo uniform.  

This uniform is cut just like the last Estonian amoeba TTsKO type uniform and is made of ripstop cloth.

Somewhat curious that following 2nd type is not made of ripstop cloth , but  following types 3 and 4 are.

Estonian 1st type digital desert uniform Dscn9018

Estonian 1st type digital desert uniform Dscn9019

S
    TennoHeikaNate
    TennoHeikaNate
    Senior Sergeant
    Senior Sergeant

Name : Nate
    Registration date : 2013-10-16
    Number of posts : 311

Estonian 1st type digital desert uniform Empty Re: Estonian 1st type digital desert uniform

Post by TennoHeikaNate Fri Feb 14, 2020 7:47 pm

Amazing find, all badged up as well! The buttons are certainly peculiar.
    ripcord
    ripcord
    Colonel
    Colonel

Estonian 1st type digital desert uniform Empty Re: Estonian 1st type digital desert uniform

Post by ripcord Fri Feb 14, 2020 8:39 pm

Thanks..

Buttons on this one are identical to the 2nd type's buttons.

S
    TennoHeikaNate
    TennoHeikaNate
    Senior Sergeant
    Senior Sergeant

Name : Nate
    Registration date : 2013-10-16
    Number of posts : 311

Post by TennoHeikaNate Fri Feb 14, 2020 9:44 pm

Do you know the differences between the four types off the top of your head? This one and I believe the fourth one are the only I can really differentiate
    Estonian 1st type digital desert uniform 62616110
    ripcord
    ripcord
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post by ripcord Fri Feb 14, 2020 10:15 pm

Here's what I think..

2nd type is the only type with national flag sown below Velcro patch panel; all other types have national flag sown above patch  panels.  It is made of non ripstop cloth and has exposed pocket buttons.  

Not certain if any of the following types were also made in non ripstop cloth.

I believe 3rd types have a smaller velcro square panel sown to both arm pockets ; 4th types have a larger Velcro panel on each arm pocket.

This of course, is my simplistic quick way to differentiate types from one another and it  is only my opinion. I dont (yet) have all the different types to be completely certain.  

And of course there are other differences, like buttons , cloth , even different colors, etc.

I have ripstop trousers dated 2010 with concealed Canadian type buttons . I think it is a 3rd type.      The soldiers in the photo  seem to be wearing  type 3 to me.

Info/opinions are welcome.

S
    CollectinSteve
    CollectinSteve
    ADMIN
    ADMIN

Registration date : 2009-03-08
    Number of posts : 6888

Post by CollectinSteve Sat Feb 15, 2020 8:44 pm

Ooo... that's a beauty!  Rare as heck and in unissued condition.  Badging is tough to get as well.  You did well Wink

Rip has some pretty good rules of thumb to go by.  Here is my quick overview of the digital desert uniforms with guaranteed ID features in bold:

1st Model, 1st Pattern - what Rip posted above. FOUR POCKET, SINGLE FLAP ARM POCKET
    2nd Model, 2nd Pattern - high poly count smooth cloth in slash pocket cut.  EXPOSED BUTTONS
    3rd Model, 2nd Pattern - same cut as 2nd, but better smooth cloth.  COVERED BUTTONS
    4th Model, 2nd Pattern - same cut as 2nd/3rd, but ripstop cloth.  RIPSTOP (if you can see the details) + MORE RED IN BASE COLOR + VELCRO SQUARE

Velcro on the arms can play a role in identification, but as with all things Estonian "it isn't that simple" Smile Full pocket velcro (rectangle) is 3rd Model by default, upper pocket area velcro (square) is 4th Model unless it is a UBACS.

Remember also that Estonians field modded their uniforms a lot so present of velcro could be field applied.  That can confuse things right there.

But more importantly, the 3rd Model appears to have come in two forms:

1.  No factory applied velcro at all (I have pictures confirming this)
    2.  Rectangular velcro that covers pretty much the entire pocket (2007 in my collection)

The non-velcro type makes it possible to confuse it with 2nd Model as the two are otherwise identical unless you can see the pocket flaps. But I don't think there is a 3rd Model with square velcro like the 4th Model, so there is that.

Next, we have the existence of several UBACS that had square velcro, no velcro, or a combo.  Might be even more variations, I don't know.  So always look around for signs of a UABCS to rule that out.

The none vs. rectangular vs. square velcro is more confusing in the temperate world, so let's not go there Very Happy

As for the photo... I'd guess 4th model.  Colors seem to be going in that direction and the velcro patches seem consistent with it.  But honestly I can't tell!

Steve
    mylle
    mylle
    Lieutenant Colonel
    Lieutenant Colonel

Name : Alex
    Registration date : 2013-10-18
    Number of posts : 2283

Post by mylle Sun Feb 16, 2020 2:52 pm

Great find S. I would say that has some holy grail touch! Very Happy

Still need some digi estonian stuff....Without its no fun for a collector. Laughing
    ripcord
    ripcord
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post by ripcord Mon Feb 17, 2020 8:29 pm

Steve,

Great to have these conversations; thanks for your input..

Let's keep it going. Definitely not a boring pattern.

Alex, pretty much in HG territory; at least for me. Last time there was a chance at one of these ( that I know of ) was 3 years ago and then it was only the blouse..

You need some..

S

GE10
    Corporal
    Corporal

Registration date : 2015-09-19
    Number of posts : 25

Post by GE10 Mon Mar 01, 2021 3:20 am

CollectinSteve wrote:Ooo... that's a beauty!  Rare as heck and in unissued condition.  Badging is tough to get as well.  You did well Wink

Rip has some pretty good rules of thumb to go by.  Here is my quick overview of the digital desert uniforms with guaranteed ID features in bold:

1st Model, 1st Pattern - what Rip posted above. FOUR POCKET, SINGLE FLAP ARM POCKET
    2nd Model, 2nd Pattern - high poly count smooth cloth in slash pocket cut.  EXPOSED BUTTONS
    3rd Model, 2nd Pattern - same cut as 2nd, but better smooth cloth.  COVERED BUTTONS
    4th Model, 2nd Pattern - same cut as 2nd/3rd, but ripstop cloth.  RIPSTOP (if you can see the details) + MORE RED IN BASE COLOR + VELCRO SQUARE

Velcro on the arms can play a role in identification, but as with all things Estonian "it isn't that simple" Smile  Full pocket velcro (rectangle) is 3rd Model by default, upper pocket area velcro (square) is 4th Model unless it is a UBACS.

Remember also that Estonians field modded their uniforms a lot so present of velcro could be field applied.  That can confuse things right there.

But more importantly, the 3rd Model appears to have come in two forms:

1.  No factory applied velcro at all (I have pictures confirming this)
    2.  Rectangular velcro that covers pretty much the entire pocket (2007 in my collection)

The non-velcro type makes it possible to confuse it with 2nd Model as the two are otherwise identical unless you can see the pocket flaps.  But I don't think there is a 3rd Model with square velcro like the 4th Model, so there is that.

Next, we have the existence of several UBACS that had square velcro, no velcro, or a combo.  Might be even more variations, I don't know.  So always look around for signs of a UABCS to rule that out.

The none vs. rectangular vs. square velcro is more confusing in the temperate world, so let's not go there Very Happy

As for the photo... I'd guess 4th model.  Colors seem to be going in that direction and the velcro patches seem consistent with it.  But honestly I can't tell!

Steve

To be historically correct, the sequence should be renamed.

2nd Model, 2nd Pattern - pink / purple high poly count smooth cloth in slash pocket cut. EXPOSED BUTTONS
    Estonian 1st type digital desert uniform 1cf39110
    2nd Model, 3nd Pattern - high poly count smooth cloth in slash pocket cut. EXPOSED BUTTONS
    3rd Model, 3nd Pattern - same cut as 2nd, but better smooth cloth. COVERED BUTTONS
    4th Model, 3nd Pattern - same cut as 2nd/3rd, but ripstop cloth. RIPSTOP (if you can see the details) + MORE RED IN BASE COLOR + VELCRO SQUARE
    ripcord
    ripcord
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post by ripcord Mon Mar 01, 2021 2:41 pm

Thanks for the update.  2nd mode,l 3rd pattern is the one that had me confused.
    GE10
    Corporal
    Corporal

Post by GE10 Mon Mar 01, 2021 2:54 pm

What makes you confused?
    ripcord
    ripcord
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post by ripcord Mon Mar 01, 2021 3:34 pm

Not confused anymore, but the similarities of 2nd model, second pattern and 2nd model, 3 pattern did have me confused.
    GE10
    Corporal
    Corporal

Post by GE10 Mon Mar 01, 2021 3:42 pm

In fact, it would be to create a common system with these names and things. Because no one in Estonia researched these things either.
    ripcord
    ripcord
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post by ripcord Mon Mar 01, 2021 5:02 pm

I agree we need a system that we can all understand. Soldiers , and non collectors usually don't care about nomenclature and model numbers..

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:07 pm