IACMC MILITARIA FORUM

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+4
nkomo
Philip
CamoDeafie
Mercenary25
8 posters

What kind of vest is it?

Mercenary25
    Mercenary25

Name : Jeremy
    Registration date : 2009-03-02
    Number of posts : 1419

What kind of vest is it? Empty What kind of vest is it?

Post by Mercenary25 Tue Oct 13, 2009 5:58 pm

What kind of vest is it? Osprey10

Someone asked about this vest on another forum. I'm wondering about this vest as well. Anybody?

What kind of vest is it? Oifbanner

http://oefoif.forumotion.net/forum.htm
    CamoDeafie
    Sergeant
    Sergeant

Name : Steven Blankenheim
    Registration date : 2009-04-06
    Number of posts : 214

What kind of vest is it? Empty Re: What kind of vest is it?

Post by CamoDeafie Tue Oct 13, 2009 7:23 pm

looks like a FMCO type of vest, with large pouches for AK magazines or 308 magazines....also possibly a RACK badly represented with the wrong pouches (those look like ALICE style pouch closures...)the bigger pouches are probably PVS-7B and M17 gas mask bags with drop leg pistol holster.
    Mercenary25
    Mercenary25

Post by Mercenary25 Tue Oct 13, 2009 7:33 pm

No, it is not RACK. It was before RACK. The vest looked something like ABA but with LC pouches.

CamoDeafie
    Sergeant
    Sergeant

Post by CamoDeafie Tue Oct 13, 2009 7:35 pm

when was the painting done?

EDIT: i dont think thats a vest anymore....O_o rigger made probably...would like to see an actual photo of the "reference" for the painter
    Philip
    Philip
    ADMIN MODERATOR
    ADMIN MODERATOR

Registration date : 2009-02-17
    Number of posts : 3117

Post by Philip Tue Oct 13, 2009 7:40 pm

The caption says 1981.

CamoDeafie
    Sergeant
    Sergeant

Post by CamoDeafie Tue Oct 13, 2009 7:42 pm

if thats so, that would place it well before FMCO and BHI and Eagle... to the time of riggers made stuff note his MP-5SD
    nkomo
    nkomo
    ADMIN
    ADMIN

Name : Arch
    Registration date : 2009-02-13
    Number of posts : 3320

Post by nkomo Tue Oct 13, 2009 8:22 pm

Back during the early 1980's, the Rangers were experimenting with several different types of vests. From what I understand, several different vest manufacturers donated vests for Ranger trials. Some of these vests can even be seen in use during the invasion of Grenada. I'm not 100% sure of the namenclature of the vest, but one thing I do know for certain is that if you want to buy one for your collection....have patience and be ready to shell out some BIG bucks.

Registration date : 2009-02-16
    Number of posts : 1082

Post by filupe Wed Oct 14, 2009 1:41 am

The layout is *exactly* the same as the South African Recce assault vest circa 1980s. At some stage one would have found it's way to a US manufacturer who made them out of LC-1 type nylon and fittings. Ads for them appeared in SOF Magazine about this time. As Arch say, this would have been either private purchase or experimental issue to the Rangers.

Illustrated is the (later) South African version constructed out of their distinctive 'Nutria' cordura, the first version was constructed out of dark brown heavyweight nylon with metal fittings.

What kind of vest is it? SthAfricanReconVest-front

What kind of vest is it? SthAfricanReconVest-rear
    Mercenary25
    Mercenary25

Post by Mercenary25 Wed Oct 14, 2009 9:11 am

Oh also, it just popped in my mind, I've seen photo of mercenary in Africa wearing similar vest but in US OD green color. When I'm home, I'll check in book and if it is indeed similar vest, I'll scan it and post it here.

Mercenary25
    Mercenary25

Post by Mercenary25 Wed Oct 14, 2009 7:29 pm

Photo of merc wearing this type of vest. Note: This one is Olive Drab version. Exactly same color as LC-2 pouches.

What kind of vest is it? Sc001710

Mercenary25
    Mercenary25

Post by Mercenary25 Wed Oct 14, 2009 8:10 pm

Note about photo above. I believe all of them are from South Africa, ex-military.

So it is safe to guess that company made this vest for SADF but in few versions such as OD for US. Rangers to use. Like Arch said, Rangers were experimenting many gear at that time. I'm sure they saw this vest used by SADF so they asked company who supplied SADF this type of version to make them few of OD versions.

mcoleman762
    mcoleman762
    Junior Sergeant
    Junior Sergeant

Name : Mike
    Registration date : 2009-02-18
    Number of posts : 172

Post by mcoleman762 Mon Oct 26, 2009 8:12 pm

I just found this thread. Somehow I missed it the other day.

If I may, I’d like to offer some clarification and corrections to the information already provided.

The vest illustrated in the color plate, and that worn by the Executive Outcomes operator, are in fact South African Special Forces (Recces) issue “Niemoller” extraction vests. The issue versions are made of a lightweight OD nylon, nicknamed “Niemoller” for the Recce operator who first designed webbing from this material. The vest has a built in extraction harness, and the pouches are secured with either Swedish made Fixlock closures, or metal “ladder” buckles of the type common to Recce webbing of the time. Here’s the vest in question:

What kind of vest is it? RecceNiemollerAsaultVestwithExtract

What kind of vest is it? RecceNiemollerAssaultVestwithExtrac

During the late 80's, a commercial version was made available for a short time through places like US Cav and Brigade Quartermasters. Filupes vest is a perfect example of one of these vests. Made of the familiar nutria colored Pattern 83 Cordura, they lack a couple features of the genuine issue vests. I purchased mine from a collector who remembers buying it from one of these vendors around the ‘88-‘90 timeframe.

I would really like to see the actual photo that the color plate is based on as well. I find that 1981 date to be quite a stretch. The development and production of the original Niemoller vest (loosely based on the Israeli EPHOD) would have been around the 1978-1981 timeframe, with these extraction vests possibly being introduced as early as 1980 (most likely later). One has to understand that all of this Recce procured equipment was VERY strictly controlled, and was designed and issued for the sole purpose of “external” operations, often in countries where the South Africans didn’t belong. As such, there is just about zero chance that any of this equipment would have worked it’s way out of the country at this early date. It’s not impossible, but highly improbable.

In any event, these are great vests, and are still part of Recce inventory.

Cheers,

Mike
    Mercenary25
    Mercenary25

Post by Mercenary25 Mon Oct 26, 2009 9:07 pm

Mike, that's a cool vest! Thanks for sharing it and clarification about this vest. I believe it is quite possible that Rangers obtained few of Niemoller vest from company who made it or they even could've had another company copy this vest for their own uses.

huntinggifts

Registration date : 2010-11-26
    Number of posts : 2

Post by huntinggifts Fri Nov 26, 2010 9:06 am

basically, the vests are classified into two main types.
    The first types are specially designed for various jobs that specifically need for workers to use the performance of their duties. These are normally considered as safety vests which designed to protect the safety of persons working or performing certain activities. For example, life jacket is often used when we have to deal with deep-water activities, such as sailing or fishing. Motorcyclists often wear vests in the motorcycle when driving to avoid getting cold and for security reasons. weight vest is commonly or used by athletes who exercise regularly for fitness, weight loss or body building. bulletproof vest is specially designed to protect the upper body of the bullet. It is always used by enforcement officers.
    The second type is designed by many companies in the clothing industry the way the routine wear and lifestyle apparel customers. Many men and women today are wearing jackets for work or functions business. Create look great in professional settings and perfect for use during the summer as the suit jacket to add extra heat in the warm weather. It is always recommended to choose pants and shirts right color to match the vest and complemented with a tie to create professional and formal clothes. Furthermore, tuxedo jackets and vests leather are also popular choice of fashionable clothes for many today. Leather vests are worn by men and women Dressler occasion or a perfect night. It is a piece ideal for occasional use if a piece of leather is combined with jeans and a shirt, fitted and a pair of boots.
    HoovieDude
    HoovieDude
    Senior Sergeant
    Senior Sergeant

Registration date : 2010-04-04
    Number of posts : 351

Post by HoovieDude Fri Nov 26, 2010 3:57 pm

huntinggifts wrote:basically, the vests are classified into two main types.
    The first types are specially designed for various jobs that specifically need for workers to use the performance of their duties. These are normally considered as safety vests which designed to protect the safety of persons working or performing certain activities. For example, life jacket is often used when we have to deal with deep-water activities, such as sailing or fishing. Motorcyclists often wear vests in the motorcycle when driving to avoid getting cold and for security reasons. weight vest is commonly or used by athletes who exercise regularly for fitness, weight loss or body building. bulletproof vest is specially designed to protect the upper body of the bullet. It is always used by enforcement officers.
    The second type is designed by many companies in the clothing industry the way the routine wear and lifestyle apparel customers. Many men and women today are wearing jackets for work or functions business. Create look great in professional settings and perfect for use during the summer as the suit jacket to add extra heat in the warm weather. It is always recommended to choose pants and shirts right color to match the vest and complemented with a tie to create professional and formal clothes. Furthermore, tuxedo jackets and vests leather are also popular choice of fashionable clothes for many today. Leather vests are worn by men and women Dressler occasion or a perfect night. It is a piece ideal for occasional use if a piece of leather is combined with jeans and a shirt, fitted and a pair of boots.

Huh?? Question

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:18 pm