Mk1rceme
    Senior Sergeant
    Senior Sergeant

Name : Dale
    Registration date : 2009-11-22
    Number of posts : 337

Early Belgian Denison Airborne Jacket

Post by Mk1rceme on Thu Feb 04, 2010 4:18 pm

Found this nice example recently. Since I can't afford a WWII-era example, this will have to do. These Belgian jackets can still be found fairly cheap, and most are large sizes like this one.

CollectinSteve
    ADMIN
    ADMIN

Registration date : 2009-03-08
    Number of posts : 5571

Re: Early Belgian Denison Airborne Jacket

Post by CollectinSteve on Fri Feb 05, 2010 12:34 pm

Hmmm... that one has some interesting features. I'm not able to check mine out at the moment, but I'd say there are six features that are inconsistent with Belgian Army issues smocks:

1. Shoulder lining.
    2. Internal pockets or some sort of lining in gray cloth?
    3. Size tag at neck.
    4. Two rows of snaps for the crotch flap instead of three.
    5. Narrow crotch flap instead of wide.
    6. Hard edges on the brown shapes.

Very interesting piece though. I've never seen a commercial Denison style smock in Belgian brushstroke.

Steve

panzerwerk
    Colonel
    Colonel

Name : Steve Hoeger
    Registration date : 2009-02-16
    Number of posts : 3068

Post by panzerwerk on Fri Feb 05, 2010 12:46 pm

Steve do you think it could have been a custom tailor job for deployment to Africa ?

Mk1rceme
    Senior Sergeant
    Senior Sergeant

Post by Mk1rceme on Fri Feb 05, 2010 2:18 pm

There is also some of that green lining on the rear at the bottom. If you look below the snaps on the second pic you can see the stitching for it. The gray material is two inside pockets. Too me, it all looks added on...especially the gray pockets. That is the only tag I could find anywhere. Not even a ghost where one may have been...could be under the green lining though.

Dale

Mk1rceme
    Senior Sergeant
    Senior Sergeant

Post by Mk1rceme on Fri Feb 05, 2010 2:24 pm

Also, the thing I don't get about the tag is that the jacket is not a size 56 by no means. I would put it more at a size 46.

vonstuck
    Lieutenant Colonel
    Lieutenant Colonel

Registration date : 2010-03-30
    Number of posts : 2473

Belgium brush strokes

Post by vonstuck on Wed Jun 16, 2010 10:21 am

Hood smock,Civil fabric ?

Compare

CollectinSteve
    ADMIN
    ADMIN

Post by CollectinSteve on Wed Jun 16, 2010 1:17 pm

I don't know what to make of the British Windproof style smocks or the one with the full zipper front. I have a couple of these too and they are all very worn, like yours. The designs of these various smocks are not the same. Some have 1970s+ buttons on them, others have 1950s/60s buttons. Some of the cloth/pattern/colors appears to be identical to genuine issue, some not. Workmanship is something very good, sometimes quite bad.

They also appear in European 2nd hand clothing shops (I got one of mine from Hungary!), so I do not think they were African contract pieces. If they were I doubt they would have come back to Europe like that. I also have yet to find any signs of them being in Belgian Army warehouses.

My guess is the ones that are very similar to Army issue, with high quality manufacturing, were designed for "private purchase". Especially in the 1960s and early 1970s when the Belgian Army was not purchasing (many) new uniforms. So if a soldier did not find his size, or a good condition, uniform in stock during this period he might have purchased a commercially made item.

The Windproof type is probably just commercial items made by different companies over many different years. Perhaps they were surplus from an African contract, perhaps just using up leftover military cloth.

That's my best guess!

Steve

kammo-man
    Major
    Major

Registration date : 2010-02-02
    Number of posts : 1086

Post by kammo-man on Tue Jun 22, 2010 4:19 pm

Great show of camouflage uniforms here .
    Love the windproof style !!!!
    In a military rag house in LA there must be thousands of pairs of the trousers in bales .
    Over the years I got some nice smocks but they are drying up.
    owen

3Cmdo

Registration date : 2012-10-11
    Number of posts : 5

My unknown Belgian Denison type

Post by 3Cmdo on Mon Oct 15, 2012 8:39 am

First post here, just wondering about the origins of this smock I've had for about 12 years now.

As you can see it's not like any others on this thread, first off it has a spacer inserted to make it longer,when this was done, I don't know(different camo as well)
    the top pockets are angled like the British made Denison and it's definitely a quarter zip version.
    The only tag is the small "1"(size, I presume?) there is no evidence of any other labels ever being there.
    Any info will be greatly appreciated.

CollectinSteve
    ADMIN
    ADMIN

Post by CollectinSteve on Mon Oct 15, 2012 2:26 pm

Interesting! OK, here's what I can say for sure. This started off as a standard production "Brush Stroke" style Denison smock from the 1970s timeframe. This was the last run they did. Some of the distinguishing characteristics of the late type smock are:

1. Slanted inward chest pockets
    2. OD cloth collar
    3. Brush Stroke cloth, not M&B cloth

There are other differences, but those are the main ones I immediately spot.

As you say, someone lengthened this. No way to tell if it was done while in service or not. It's a very uncommon modification, though I wouldn't say that means much. Interesting the collar has been restitched for some reason.

A size tag in the neck is very unusual. Looks like it was added post-factory. The Belgians did use an abstract size numbering system for quite a while. For some items they kept that system right up into the 1990s. Which lends some evidence that this was reworked while in the military system since I doubt anybody outside the military would have bothered with a tag like that.

Without feeling the cloth used for lengthening, I can't say where it came from. My guess is 1957 manufactured shelter halves. Some of the cloth is for sure 1950s "Moon & Balls" type while some panels look like Brush Stroke. The Belgians didn't care about the differences between the two so that's not a red flag.

Hope that helps!

Steve

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content Today at 3:29 pm

Current date/time is Sat Dec 10, 2016 3:29 pm