IACMC MILITARIA FORUM

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+3
Camo_fiend
mcoleman762
bajiman55
7 posters

Ciskei homeland shirt

bajiman55
    Corporal
    Corporal

Name : Yehoshua
    Registration date : 2010-04-02
    Number of posts : 55

Ciskei homeland shirt Empty Ciskei homeland shirt

Post by bajiman55 Sun Apr 18, 2010 9:28 pm

Got this from trident militaria. Was suspect of it till I saw some other 50% cotton 50% polyester tags on other SA stuff in the other SA posts. Still I have seen pics of this shirt that had the pocket buttons exposed unlike the one I have. Does anybody know anything about these. Maybe some info on any correct patches or insignia if any were used on them.

Ciskei homeland shirt Ciskei10Ciskei homeland shirt Ciskei11Ciskei homeland shirt Ciskei12Ciskei homeland shirt Ciskei13Ciskei homeland shirt Ciskei14
    mcoleman762
    mcoleman762
    Junior Sergeant
    Junior Sergeant

Name : Mike
    Registration date : 2009-02-18
    Number of posts : 172

Ciskei homeland shirt Empty Re: Ciskei homeland shirt

Post by mcoleman762 Thu Apr 22, 2010 6:43 pm

Your shirt is a genuine Ciskei shirt. The exposed button shirts that you speak of are South African Railway Police, not Ciskei. A quick rundown of the difference:

All SARP shirts and jackets have exposed buttons, and the pockets on the shirts are pleated. SARP trousers have a small cargo pocket on one leg, and puprose-made Uzi magazine pouches on the other. All SARP garments were made by HJ Henochsberg, and have typical government issue tags in them (stock number, year of manufacture, size, etc.).

Ciskei shirts and jackets on the other hand have flat pockets with concealed buttons. The trousers have the more typical large cargo pockets. Manufacturers were either Standfast or Three Spears, and have commercial style tags in them. The "Made in South Africa" tag was added for import purposes only, and is not genuine to the garment.

Like all the Homelands, the Ciskei Defense Forces were quite small with only about three to four thousand troops. Photos of them are practically non-existant, althogh I might be able to scare up one or two. I've seen a few insignia for sale over the years, mostly airborne wings and the like. You'd have to check with some of the South African dealers like the Warstore, SWAT Shop or Southern African Militaria to see what's out there.

Hope this helps!

Cheers,

Mike
    bajiman55
    Corporal
    Corporal

Name : Yehoshua
    Registration date : 2010-04-02
    Number of posts : 55

Post by bajiman55 Thu Apr 22, 2010 9:21 pm

I would like some of those hard to find pics. I'll have to see if one of the SA dealers has some of the insignia. Maybe I'd even be able to find a pair of those pants. Their stated shipping times are pretty long though, and I sure wish they took paypal, cause SA militaria is just the type of stuff I love to collect. Stuff that doesn't exist anymore. Always good to learn something new about stuff your interested in. Thanks for the info.
    Camo_fiend
    Camo_fiend

Name : Ben
    Registration date : 2009-07-22
    Number of posts : 2705

Post by Camo_fiend Thu Apr 22, 2010 10:28 pm

Nice shirt, Yehoshua!
    African militaria is a class all its own within this field...one I haven't dared enter yet. lol!

See my collection online: http://benscamo.webs.com/
    misanthropic_gods
    misanthropic_gods

Registration date : 2009-07-27
    Number of posts : 991

Post by misanthropic_gods Thu Apr 22, 2010 10:51 pm

Camo_fiend wrote:
    African militaria is a class all its own within this field...one I haven't dared enter yet. lol!

Ha ha, thats for sure. Africa has some of the funkiest pattern out there, and use a mish mash of things from all over the world. I havent gone there yet, but I was looking into getting some SA stuff, including a set of Nutria.

This pattern is very cool, I really like it. It seems very subdued.
    CollectinSteve
    CollectinSteve
    ADMIN
    ADMIN

Registration date : 2009-03-08
    Number of posts : 6888

Post by CollectinSteve Fri Apr 23, 2010 1:44 am

I only dabble in it if Mike C tells me it's real Very Happy Otherwise I don't have much of a clue when it comes to SA stuff, despite having a pretty sizable collection. My problem is I don't know enough about the minor details that are sometimes critically important to know. Now, if someone wants to ask a Bundeswehr question... that's a different story Smile

Steve
    mcoleman762
    mcoleman762
    Junior Sergeant
    Junior Sergeant

Post by mcoleman762 Fri Apr 23, 2010 6:51 pm

Yehoshua,

You're welcome. Glad I could be of help. Good luck finding the trousers, as they are surprisingly hard to find. It took me several years to find a pair, which is strange given how many of the shirts and jackets are floating around. As for the insignia, The Warstore accepts credit cards, and many of the South African dealers on eBay accept Paypal. Be careful, as there are a lot of fakes and reproductions coming out of South Africa the last few years. I haven't heard of any of the Homelands stuff being copied, but it's possible. The authority on such things would be James MacKenzie of Southern Africa Militaria (www.southernafricamilitaria.com). He's been dealing in SA and Rhodesian badges, ranks, and such for over 30 years. He has a few Ciskei items listed, and is very accomodating with payment options. Tell him I sent you his way....

Hey Steve! You're giving me too much credit! Embarassed You're right though, there are a lot of pitfalls with the South African stuff, many of which I learned the hard way. With the interest in the Rhody and SA stuff really taking off the last three years or so, there is a lot of dubious stuff floating around. Often times it's legit kit, but is just mis-identified, and thusly overpriced. The Warstore is notorious for this. They get some nice stuff in, but a lot of it is incorrectly identified kit. Ebay can be particularily bad too.

Cheers,

Mike
    mcoleman762
    mcoleman762
    Junior Sergeant
    Junior Sergeant

Post by mcoleman762 Mon Apr 26, 2010 12:17 pm

Found the photo!

This was taken at a unification ceremony in 1995, when the Homelands forces were being integrated into the SANDF. As such, it shows the pattern in it's final days of use.

Photo credit to Yves Debay and RAIDS magazine.

Cheers,

Mike
    Ciskei homeland shirt Ciskeisoldier
    vonstuck
    vonstuck
    Colonel
    Colonel

Registration date : 2010-03-30
    Number of posts : 3395

Post by vonstuck Wed Dec 07, 2011 3:09 pm

Ciskei homeland shirt 100_1210

Ciskei homeland shirt 100_1211

Ciskei homeland shirt 100_1212
    CBLA
    CBLA
    Corporal
    Corporal

Registration date : 2012-05-10
    Number of posts : 29

Post by CBLA Mon Mar 04, 2013 6:24 pm

I've got a set of SARP Para-wings , they are on camo cloth and show an UZI with wings
    Cheers Chris

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:04 am