IACMC MILITARIA FORUM

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

5 posters

What does the black numbers mean on a canteen cover?

What does the black numbers mean on a canteen cover? Empty What does the black numbers mean on a canteen cover?

Post by Guest Tue Apr 27, 2010 10:47 pm

I saw this canteen on ebay with black numbering on the bottom and i was wondering what they were used for I know I have seen same types like this that Marines used but did anyone else use them other than the Marines?
    Corpl. Cleaver
    Corpl. Cleaver

Name : Tyler
    Registration date : 2009-02-21
    Number of posts : 323

What does the black numbers mean on a canteen cover? Empty Re: What does the black numbers mean on a canteen cover?

Post by Corpl. Cleaver Wed Apr 28, 2010 1:12 pm

post the link??

"Greater love has no man than this, that he lay down his life for a friend." -John 15:13

RIP Lester Scheaffer, KIA September 12th 1944. 29th Infantry Division.

A member of The Ill Tempered Men

What does the black numbers mean on a canteen cover? Empty Re: What does the black numbers mean on a canteen cover?

Post by Guest Wed Apr 28, 2010 2:15 pm

What does the black numbers mean on a canteen cover? Oix6hc
    swag
    swag
    Senior Sergeant
    Senior Sergeant

Registration date : 2009-02-18
    Number of posts : 369

Post by swag Fri Apr 30, 2010 4:54 pm

Most likely its the last four of the soldiers Social Security Number; a common way to ID items.
    BringMeOurFlag
    BringMeOurFlag
    Corporal
    Corporal

Registration date : 2010-04-26
    Number of posts : 52

Post by BringMeOurFlag Sat May 01, 2010 10:59 am

or, like you say about the marines. It's there division number...
    1stDivVet
    1stDivVet
    Colonel
    Colonel

Name : Fins...
    Registration date : 2009-03-24
    Number of posts : 2561

Post by 1stDivVet Sat May 01, 2010 12:00 pm

It's a laundry mark.. Like SWAG said.. Usually the first letter of the last name followed by the last 4 of either a solder's social security number or service number. The markings for organizational equiptment is different. There's a great section on laundry and organizational markings in the Noncom's Guide.

Fins...

Name : Jeremy
    Registration date : 2009-03-02
    Number of posts : 1419

Post by Mercenary25 Sat May 01, 2010 1:25 pm

BringMeOurFlag wrote:or, like you say about the marines. It's there division number...

Marines' division numbers weren't stenciled at bottom of the canteen cover. Also their stencil looks different.

What does the black numbers mean on a canteen cover? Oifbanner

http://oefoif.forumotion.net/forum.htm

Post by Guest Tue May 04, 2010 12:56 pm

I was just confused as I have seen some canteens like this with the black lettering go for a lot more than a regular canteen and also say they are Marine ones? I have seen a lot of Marine ones that had almost matching types of this one maybe army did this as well I am guessing from everyone's comments on this

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:32 am