IACMC MILITARIA FORUM

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+8
swag
fourtycoats
Guessologist
Sgt P.
Camosaurus
downboy
misanthropic_gods
stuka
12 posters

Mt Samat (War Plan Orange) Visit: WWII Memorial in Bataan, Philippines

stuka
    stuka
    Junior Sergeant
    Junior Sergeant

Registration date : 2010-03-13
    Number of posts : 132

Mt Samat (War Plan Orange) Visit: WWII Memorial in Bataan, Philippines  Empty Mt Samat (War Plan Orange) Visit: WWII Memorial in Bataan, Philippines

Post by stuka Sat Jul 03, 2010 6:53 am

June 30, 2010 was a non-working holiday in the Philippines for the 2010 Presidential inauguration of the newly elected President of the Philippines. And while most of our countrymen were either on their TV sets for this and others, came to personally witness the inaugural (some from far away provinces), Philip Co aka Camousarus picked me up very early morning at my apartment.

Our itinerary:
    Mt. Samat in Bataan, Philippines
    Subic Bay (Former US Pacific Naval Base)
    Olongapo City
    Clark AirBase (Former US Pacific Air Base)

THE JOURNEY

And off we go on an early morning ride.
    Mt Samat (War Plan Orange) Visit: WWII Memorial in Bataan, Philippines  SCLEX1signed

While Philip was driving, I enjoyed the sceneries:
    Mt Samat (War Plan Orange) Visit: WWII Memorial in Bataan, Philippines  Scenery1signed
    Mt Samat (War Plan Orange) Visit: WWII Memorial in Bataan, Philippines  Scenery2signed

O dios mio!!! Wait….are we still in the Philippines??
    Mt Samat (War Plan Orange) Visit: WWII Memorial in Bataan, Philippines  Mexico1signed

Must be a very bad dream due to lack of sleep watching late night World Cup’s football!!
    Decided to go for breakfast and really strong coffee!!

Breakfast
    Mt Samat (War Plan Orange) Visit: WWII Memorial in Bataan, Philippines  McDosigned

And strong coffee it was…waking us both especially Philip behind the wheel!
    Mt Samat (War Plan Orange) Visit: WWII Memorial in Bataan, Philippines  Gloriajeanssigned

THE SHRINE

And finally, after traveling for hours and 190 kms away...we were in the town of Pilar, Bataan.
    Mt Samat (War Plan Orange) Visit: WWII Memorial in Bataan, Philippines  MtSamat1signed

Few more kilometers up to Mt Samat on a nice pave road.
    Mt Samat (War Plan Orange) Visit: WWII Memorial in Bataan, Philippines  MtSamat2signed

Entrance gate to the site of the Dambana ng Kagitingan or "Shrine of Valor".
    Mt Samat (War Plan Orange) Visit: WWII Memorial in Bataan, Philippines  MtSamat3signed

Bataan Cross
    Mt Samat (War Plan Orange) Visit: WWII Memorial in Bataan, Philippines  MtSamat4signed

The Man!!!
    Mt Samat (War Plan Orange) Visit: WWII Memorial in Bataan, Philippines  TheMan1signed

Battle of Bataan..
    Mt Samat (War Plan Orange) Visit: WWII Memorial in Bataan, Philippines  Tablet1signed

Take pride in the courage of our race…
    Mt Samat (War Plan Orange) Visit: WWII Memorial in Bataan, Philippines  Tablet2signed

Indeed..
    Mt Samat (War Plan Orange) Visit: WWII Memorial in Bataan, Philippines  MtSamat10signed

In memory of the defenders of Bataan
    Mt Samat (War Plan Orange) Visit: WWII Memorial in Bataan, Philippines  MtSamat9signed

The Battling Bastards of Bataan; No Mama, No Papa, No Uncle Sam!!
    Mt Samat (War Plan Orange) Visit: WWII Memorial in Bataan, Philippines  MtSamat8signed

Undying Courage…
    Mt Samat (War Plan Orange) Visit: WWII Memorial in Bataan, Philippines  MtSamat7signed

The Philippine Scouts was a military organization of the United States Army from 1901 to World War II. Made up of native Filipinos assigned to the US Army's Philippine Division. Mt Samat (War Plan Orange) Visit: WWII Memorial in Bataan, Philippines  MtSamat11signed

At the time of USAFFE's formation, the unit consisted of 22,532 troops, of which 11,972 were Philippine Scouts. Source: Wikipedia “Philippine Scouts and U.S. Army Forces in the Far East (USAFFE)”
    Mt Samat (War Plan Orange) Visit: WWII Memorial in Bataan, Philippines  MtSamat12signed

Along with the island fortress of Corregidor, Mount Samat was the site of the most vicious battle against the Japanese Imperial Army in 1942 during the Battle of Bataan.
    Suffering heavy losses against the Japanese all over Luzon, Filipino and American soldiers retreated to Bataan Peninsula to regroup for a last valiant but futile stand. This retreat to Bataan is part of a United States strategy known as War Plan Orange.
    The site of the War Plan Orange taken from atop the Bataan Cross….
    Mt Samat (War Plan Orange) Visit: WWII Memorial in Bataan, Philippines  Atop1signed

to be continued....

misanthropic_gods
    misanthropic_gods

Registration date : 2009-07-27
    Number of posts : 991

Mt Samat (War Plan Orange) Visit: WWII Memorial in Bataan, Philippines  Empty Re: Mt Samat (War Plan Orange) Visit: WWII Memorial in Bataan, Philippines

Post by misanthropic_gods Sat Jul 03, 2010 7:01 am

WOW....just a beautiful country. Nothing like that around here, thats for sure. Beautiful monument as well, I cant think of a better way to celebrate the day off.

My grandmothers first husband landed on Leyte (532 EBSR, 2 ESB) in 1944.

Also, is that a Maxpedition Thermite Veripack in Foliage green I see on Philip's thigh?
    downboy
    Junior Sergeant
    Junior Sergeant

Name : Nes
    Registration date : 2010-05-23
    Number of posts : 162

Mt Samat (War Plan Orange) Visit: WWII Memorial in Bataan, Philippines  Empty Re: Mt Samat (War Plan Orange) Visit: WWII Memorial in Bataan, Philippines

Post by downboy Sat Jul 03, 2010 8:24 am

Cool NAVSOG? cap!Still working on a trade for that cap especially when I saw a photo of a US navy SEAL wearing one in a news photo.Can`t wait to get one myself.
    Please post photo of Subic...have`nt been there since 2002.Miss that place Wink !
    stuka
    stuka
    Junior Sergeant
    Junior Sergeant

Post by stuka Sat Jul 03, 2010 12:56 pm

misanthropic_gods wrote:WOW....just a beautiful country. Nothing like that around here, thats for sure. Beautiful monument as well, I cant think of a better way to celebrate the day off.

My grandmothers first husband landed on Leyte (532 EBSR, 2 ESB) in 1944.

Also, is that a Maxpedition Thermite Veripack in Foliage green I see on Philip's thigh?

Beautiful country indeed!!
    We planned to visit Leyte someday..There's the Leyte Landing Memorial.
    Mt Samat (War Plan Orange) Visit: WWII Memorial in Bataan, Philippines  Macarthur-monument-13
    The Leyte Landing Memorial in Red Beach, Palo, marks the spot where American liberation forces of General Douglas MacArthur landed. Source: http://www.tourisminthephilippines.com

Yup, Philip with his Maxpedition Hard-use Gear Thermite!

downboy wrote:Cool NAVSOG? cap!Still working on a trade for that cap especially when I saw a photo of a US navy SEAL wearing one in a news photo.Can`t wait to get one myself.
    Please post photo of Subic...have`nt been there since 2002.Miss that place Wink !

Hi Nes,
    Yup it's the NAVSOG cap..

See photos of Subic below.

THE BIG GUNS AND TRIPPERS

Big guns facing the Bataan Peninsula..

US M2 Browning Machine Gun
    Mt Samat (War Plan Orange) Visit: WWII Memorial in Bataan, Philippines  MtSamat6signed

US M1917 Browning Machine Gun
    Mt Samat (War Plan Orange) Visit: WWII Memorial in Bataan, Philippines  MtSamat5signed

The trippers
    Mt Samat (War Plan Orange) Visit: WWII Memorial in Bataan, Philippines  MtSamat13signed

Mt Samat (War Plan Orange) Visit: WWII Memorial in Bataan, Philippines  Biggun1signed

Mt Samat (War Plan Orange) Visit: WWII Memorial in Bataan, Philippines  MtSamat13signed

At the foot of Bataan Cross
    Mt Samat (War Plan Orange) Visit: WWII Memorial in Bataan, Philippines  Cross1signed

THE DEATH MARCH

The march, involving the forcible transfer of 75,000 American and Filipino prisoners of war captured by the Japanese in the Philippines from the Bataan peninsula.

The km 19 forced march marker
    Mt Samat (War Plan Orange) Visit: WWII Memorial in Bataan, Philippines  Deathmarch1signed

Km 21
    Mt Samat (War Plan Orange) Visit: WWII Memorial in Bataan, Philippines  Deathmarch2signed

SUBIC BAY

Another good drive..
    Mt Samat (War Plan Orange) Visit: WWII Memorial in Bataan, Philippines  SCLEX3signed

Mt Samat (War Plan Orange) Visit: WWII Memorial in Bataan, Philippines  SCLEX2signed

A once beautifull river now dried up with remnants of Lahar from Mt. Pinatubo. The volcanic eruption forced the evacuation of US Forces from Clark Air Base.
    Mt Samat (War Plan Orange) Visit: WWII Memorial in Bataan, Philippines  Lahar1signed

Finally, the former US Pacific Naval Base in Subic Bay, Zambales.
    Mt Samat (War Plan Orange) Visit: WWII Memorial in Bataan, Philippines  Subicsigned

Subic now a Freeport zone
    Mt Samat (War Plan Orange) Visit: WWII Memorial in Bataan, Philippines  Subic1signed

Texas Joe’s along the beach in Subic..
    Mt Samat (War Plan Orange) Visit: WWII Memorial in Bataan, Philippines  Texasjoessigned

2 starving trippers at Subic’s Meat Plus Café’ with Rib Eye Steaks lunch…yummy! Yeah yeah I know, but we're both on diet!lol!
    Mt Samat (War Plan Orange) Visit: WWII Memorial in Bataan, Philippines  Subic2signed

Next stop, Olongapo City for Militaria hunt….

downboy
    Junior Sergeant
    Junior Sergeant

Post by downboy Sat Jul 03, 2010 2:34 pm

Yeah yeah...militaria hunt.Plaques still around?Very talented craftsmen around the area.Thanks for the photos mate .
    Camosaurus
    Camosaurus
    Officer Candidate
    Officer Candidate

Registration date : 2009-06-06
    Number of posts : 534

Post by Camosaurus Sat Jul 03, 2010 11:29 pm

Yes, I'm wearing a NAVSOG cap I bought in Sangley a few years back when I went to the anniversary celebration. I rmember buying all the stocks at the ship store and by the time I arrived Manila I got to sell it to my friends. Laughing I bought the foliage thermite in Ebay. Next time, we'll try to look the km 0 marker which is a hour away and look for the final marker in Capas, Tarlac. Not sure if the final marker is there.

Too bad we couldn't take pictures inside the museum as it was not allowed. Lots of bazzokas and crew served weapons in there.

Stuka,

I already told my brother-in-law to tell the guy in charge of the shrine that they should stop differentiating the entrance fee for a local and a foreigner. I told them it was discriminatory and it doesn't look good. I also complained that every move you make you have to pay for something. Next time let's bring a metal detector.
    Sgt P.
    Sgt P.
    Junior Sergeant
    Junior Sergeant

Registration date : 2010-01-07
    Number of posts : 168

Post by Sgt P. Sat Jul 03, 2010 11:38 pm

Philip & Stuka,
    Some awesome photos. Yeah you guys looked like you needed some strong java! I thought that Philip was carrying a mini cannon (camera) in that circular pouch. Rolling Eyes I look forward to seeing all the places that you guys visited. Great to see some of the monuments. My Pop didn't get to the Pacific but my Uncle Charles did. He never talked about it so it must have taken many of his friends. Look forward to meeting you both. Bruce
    Guessologist
    Guessologist
    Sergeant
    Sergeant

Name : Ben P.
    Registration date : 2009-02-17
    Number of posts : 282

Post by Guessologist Sat Jul 03, 2010 11:51 pm

Camosaurus wrote:
    I already told my brother-in-law to tell the guy in charge of the shrine that they should stop differentiating the entrance fee for a local and a foreigner. I told them it was discriminatory and it doesn't look good. I also complained that every move you make you have to pay for something. Next time let's bring a metal detector.

You get that in Indonesia too. 2 different prices.

Thanks for sharing the photos guys.
    stuka
    stuka
    Junior Sergeant
    Junior Sergeant

Post by stuka Sun Jul 04, 2010 3:30 am

Philip,

Yeah, glad your brother-in-law promised to look at it..also, don't forget to tell him to allow tourists to snap some photos in the underground war Museum. Next time we go mountain climbing around Samat and we bring metal detectors to find some WWII Relics. I was told there are jungle trails and beautiful waterfalls along the way for a break.

Bruce,

We went visiting these places aside from our common interests were mainly to check out interesting sites. Should you guys come for visits in the future, we know where to bring you Very Happy

OLONGAPO CITY

Olongapo, an urbanized city in the province of Zambales, Philippines and governed as a part of the United States Naval reservation.

YES..indeed the home of GearMax series Special Ops gear evident with a local on bike with a GeraMax hydration pack…
    Mt Samat (War Plan Orange) Visit: WWII Memorial in Bataan, Philippines  GearMax1signed

But first, we need to find the local market for those military plaques’ craftsmen…3 days to make this military deployment plaque.
    Mt Samat (War Plan Orange) Visit: WWII Memorial in Bataan, Philippines  Woodcraft1signed

And there it was….Nes, this is for you!
    Mt Samat (War Plan Orange) Visit: WWII Memorial in Bataan, Philippines  Olongapo2signed

Mt Samat (War Plan Orange) Visit: WWII Memorial in Bataan, Philippines  Olongapo1signed

Philippine Navy Desk Plaque
    Mt Samat (War Plan Orange) Visit: WWII Memorial in Bataan, Philippines  Deskplaquesigned

And yeah, I brought some home…
    Mt Samat (War Plan Orange) Visit: WWII Memorial in Bataan, Philippines  Plaques1signed

These craftmen still taking orders from US Military especially those in Okinawa.

Philip and myself got some challenge coins too..

JSOTF’s OEF-P
    Mt Samat (War Plan Orange) Visit: WWII Memorial in Bataan, Philippines  OEFcoin1signed

Mt Samat (War Plan Orange) Visit: WWII Memorial in Bataan, Philippines  OEFcoin2signed

1st Special Forces Group, 2nd Bn., ODA 1221
    Mt Samat (War Plan Orange) Visit: WWII Memorial in Bataan, Philippines  Coin3signed

GEAR MAX

Lila’s Outdoor shop, maker of quality GEAR MAX series assault packs and gear preferred by Philippine Special Ops community..
    Mt Samat (War Plan Orange) Visit: WWII Memorial in Bataan, Philippines  Lila1signed

Mt Samat (War Plan Orange) Visit: WWII Memorial in Bataan, Philippines  Olongapo3signed

A poster design taken from “A life of Fighting” Philippine Marine Force Recon T-shirt; The shirt was designed by Pfc Peary Simores(RIP), a member of Force Recon Class 13 who were all killed when they were ambushed by Abu Sayyaf rebels in Basilan Island, Philippines.
    Mt Samat (War Plan Orange) Visit: WWII Memorial in Bataan, Philippines  Lifeoffightingsigned
    Pfc Simores designed this shirt prior to their deployment to Basilan. It was his own inscription and picture printed on the shirts. The pic was said to be taken during their Force Recon training. The message is simple but powerful. He was one of the 15 Force Recon Marines killed last week fighting the Abu Sayyaf members who beheaded their fellow Force Recon Marines last July 10, 2007 in an ambush in Basilan. Yep, they got them, even killing one of the commanders who led the beheading of the Marines. It was said in the news that some of his fellow Force Recon Marines have tears on their eyes when the message on his shirt was read during his wake.

Here’s the photo of the T-Shirt
    Mt Samat (War Plan Orange) Visit: WWII Memorial in Bataan, Philippines  Ljiuyh002

That's all folks!!! Enjoy the visual tour!
    Sgt P.
    Sgt P.
    Junior Sergeant
    Junior Sergeant

Registration date : 2010-01-07
    Number of posts : 168

Mt Samat (War Plan Orange) Visit: WWII Memorial in Bataan, Philippines  Empty Mt Samat (War Plan Orange) Visit: WWII Memorial in Bataan, Philippines

Post by Sgt P. Sun Jul 04, 2010 1:55 pm

Philip & Stuka,
    Excellent shopping guys. Philip looks like he wants to buy several differnt tactical Gear Max nylon products out of that one custom shop. Liked the challenge coins and the Naval specwar wooden signs. Now when you go looking for WW2 loot be sure that it is not the stuff that goes "boom" Shocked

I look forward to seeing Olongapo City and tasting many of your differant varaties of snacks. The monkey under the table isn't one of them. tongue Have to scope out where the mahognany aircraft and helos are made as I know the 2 that my brother flew in Nam. It would be a good present for him on his 2nd retirement.
    Look forward to meeting both of you when I get over there. Bruce Cool
    downboy
    Junior Sergeant
    Junior Sergeant

Post by downboy Sun Jul 04, 2010 8:23 pm

Great trip guys.Really liked your subic militaria hunt.Was having a few drinks with my filipino(you know who)trading mate last night and he said that you blokes did well .Really liked that OEF-P coin...unfortunately based on Philip`s posts he probably bought them all out Smile .I noticed though that the Trident carvings have changed.
    Now I`ll have to convince the wifey to go visit the Philippines again.
    downboy
    Junior Sergeant
    Junior Sergeant

Post by downboy Sun Jul 04, 2010 8:26 pm

BTW thanks for posting the SEAL stuff photos stuka.
    Nes
    Camosaurus
    Camosaurus
    Officer Candidate
    Officer Candidate

Post by Camosaurus Sun Jul 04, 2010 11:45 pm

Bruce,

There's a Huey model up for sale but the camouflage is in modern times (read:grey). I think your brother would like his UH-1 in OD. I watched the 2am football game on tv and it ended at 4:30am and then picked up Stuka at 6:30am so needed the strong coffee to get by. We can sample the local delicacy in Angeles and have a few beers. If you guys are not up to the local food there are lots of American food in the area.

Asking around now for that last Death march Marker in Tarlac...
    fourtycoats
    fourtycoats
    Sergeant Major
    Sergeant Major

Registration date : 2010-01-13
    Number of posts : 445

Post by fourtycoats Mon Jul 05, 2010 3:15 pm

What a superb thread! Nearly as good as being there.
    Camosaurus
    Camosaurus
    Officer Candidate
    Officer Candidate

Post by Camosaurus Fri Jul 09, 2010 3:43 am

Fourtycoats,

Try making a trip to the Philippines and I'll bring you to Corregidor! I'm sure you'll like that!
    swag
    swag
    Senior Sergeant
    Senior Sergeant

Registration date : 2009-02-18
    Number of posts : 369

Post by swag Fri Jul 09, 2010 10:13 am

Camosaurus wrote:Asking around now for that last Death march Marker in Tarlac...

I don't know where the last marker is but here's the 100 km marker. This is at the entrance to the American Cemetery at Clark Airfield.

Mt Samat (War Plan Orange) Visit: WWII Memorial in Bataan, Philippines  Ac_jul10

Great thread here! On one of my next trips there we'll have to have something planned, I'd love to go poking around the country side with you guys.
    Camosaurus
    Camosaurus
    Officer Candidate
    Officer Candidate

Post by Camosaurus Sun Jul 11, 2010 10:44 pm

The Death March ended in Capas, Tarlac which is the next province after Angeles. I'll try to check where the last marker is. We can do this trip again when you come back.
    transmission
    transmission

Name : Stephen
    Registration date : 2011-02-24
    Number of posts : 8

Post by transmission Thu Apr 07, 2011 7:53 am

the anniversary of the Fall of Bataan is coming near, will try to post some pics of my grandfather's war medal to commemorate the event and also to remember all those who fought in the war.
    ccamote
    ccamote
    Corporal
    Corporal

Registration date : 2010-11-06
    Number of posts : 45

Post by ccamote Thu Apr 07, 2011 10:07 am

Camosaurus & Stuka,

Can I tag along when you guys go back to Mt. Samat & Olongapo next time?
    Camosaurus
    Camosaurus
    Officer Candidate
    Officer Candidate

Post by Camosaurus Fri Apr 08, 2011 5:27 am

Definitely not tomorrow!! The President and the surviving Filipino, American and Japanese veterans will be in Mt. Samat tomorrow. Surely, I'll make a trip this April I have a guest that needs to visit the place.
    stuka
    stuka
    Junior Sergeant
    Junior Sergeant

Post by stuka Fri Apr 08, 2011 5:42 am

hmmm....? Who might that be? Another goat overload, bloke? Laughing
    drmatz
    drmatz

Name : danilo matz
    Registration date : 2009-02-16
    Number of posts : 2103

Post by drmatz Fri Apr 08, 2011 5:21 pm

very nice pics guys, seems like is a lot of fun to ride along...

I wish i could make a trip to Mt Samat as well...

My dad spend a couple of weeks during the vietnam war in the philippines, he really loved the country and the people...
    sinloi_sam

Registration date : 2011-08-14
    Number of posts : 4

Post by sinloi_sam Sun Aug 14, 2011 5:55 am

Hi Stuka,

I'm new to the forum, but can't help notice the shirt of the Marine Recon. Where can I purchase one?

Please advise thanks.

sinloi sam
    stuka
    stuka
    Junior Sergeant
    Junior Sergeant

Post by stuka Thu Jan 12, 2012 11:24 am

sinloi_sam wrote:Hi Stuka,

I'm new to the forum, but can't help notice the shirt of the Marine Recon. Where can I purchase one?

Please advise thanks.

sinloi sam

Sorry, Sam...so busy making a living and just saw your post.
    Just in case you haven't found the shirt yet. You can check out at Marine Barracks in Fort Bonifacio or you may also check availability at the military shops around the barracks.
    ccamote
    ccamote
    Corporal
    Corporal

Registration date : 2010-11-06
    Number of posts : 45

Post by ccamote Thu Mar 22, 2012 9:30 am

You guys plan to go back to Bataan this April?

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue Mar 19, 2024 2:15 am