IACMC MILITARIA FORUM

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+3
AndrewA74
Easy Gee
misanthropic_gods
7 posters

VS-17/GVX Signal panel in use in OIF/OEF

misanthropic_gods
    misanthropic_gods

Registration date : 2009-07-27
    Number of posts : 991

panel - VS-17/GVX Signal panel in use in OIF/OEF Empty VS-17/GVX Signal panel in use in OIF/OEF

Post by misanthropic_gods Sun Sep 26, 2010 5:24 am

The VS-17/GVX is a compact signal panel that when fully extended measures 2 feet across by 6 feet tall, it has hi-viz colors on either side, both Orange and Pink. This style of signal panel has been used since the Vietnam war and is quite useful and actually used more often than one would think. The has tie downs and snaps at each corner, the panels can be snapped together to form symbols, numbers, or letters.

here is mine (I need to turn the ISO down on my camera Razz )

panel - VS-17/GVX Signal panel in use in OIF/OEF Signalpanel001
    panel - VS-17/GVX Signal panel in use in OIF/OEF Signalpanel008
    panel - VS-17/GVX Signal panel in use in OIF/OEF Signalpanel004

I was just going to post pictures of the panel itself for reference until I realized that I had seen a panel in one of the 490 SF pictures I downloaded a little bit ago, so I went on a hunt and was pleasantly surprised to find quite a few pictures with that little hi-viz panel hiding in plain sight!(how'd you like that little pun?)

Without further adieu, here they are.

This one was also posted in the Pro-Tec thread...funny how that work eh?
    panel - VS-17/GVX Signal panel in use in OIF/OEF SF-pro-tecJPG

On top of the truck
    panel - VS-17/GVX Signal panel in use in OIF/OEF 2wn4pzs

In the hands of the guy on the left
    panel - VS-17/GVX Signal panel in use in OIF/OEF 100112f9910h104

On the side of the truck, under the SATCOM dish
    panel - VS-17/GVX Signal panel in use in OIF/OEF Sh_blk_op2_900

This one is hard to spot, but I think I see a bit of pink to the top left of the rear door. Also, the camo on the HMMWV is absolutely badass...this is one of my favorite pictures Very Happy
    panel - VS-17/GVX Signal panel in use in OIF/OEF 2uhu6o5

This one is also pretty elusive, I think I see it right above the front of the stretcher
    panel - VS-17/GVX Signal panel in use in OIF/OEF Guntruck-MARSOC-001

Hiding in the bottom right of the frame
    panel - VS-17/GVX Signal panel in use in OIF/OEF Rollingdeath

draped over the tailgate, above the spare tire
    panel - VS-17/GVX Signal panel in use in OIF/OEF 071205-A-3749Z-040

Tied to the top of the Spare Tire
    panel - VS-17/GVX Signal panel in use in OIF/OEF PICT0004

Cut up and tied to the top of the spare tire again
    panel - VS-17/GVX Signal panel in use in OIF/OEF 2pra58j

And another one on the spare but this one is REALLY faded
    panel - VS-17/GVX Signal panel in use in OIF/OEF Hilltop

Hope you guys like these pictures, I havent yet seen a thread dedicated to signal markers Very Happy

Easy Gee
    Easy Gee
    Colonel
    Colonel

Name : Gary
    Registration date : 2010-06-12
    Number of posts : 3591

panel - VS-17/GVX Signal panel in use in OIF/OEF Empty Re: VS-17/GVX Signal panel in use in OIF/OEF

Post by Easy Gee Sun Sep 26, 2010 7:45 am

Nice one,never seen one in use obviously,but an interesting piece of kit Wink
    misanthropic_gods
    misanthropic_gods

panel - VS-17/GVX Signal panel in use in OIF/OEF Empty Re: VS-17/GVX Signal panel in use in OIF/OEF

Post by misanthropic_gods Sun Sep 26, 2010 7:48 am

Easy Gee wrote:Nice one,never seen one in use obviously,but an interesting piece of kit Wink

I agree, and I had not seen any posted up here before..so i might as well! Glad you like it!

Actually....those last 2 pictures are of the same vehicle. I didnt even notice that!

LOL..P-E posted these up in the 3 color PASGT vest cover thread on OIF/OEF

panel - VS-17/GVX Signal panel in use in OIF/OEF Cd_5_o28
    panel - VS-17/GVX Signal panel in use in OIF/OEF Cd_5_o27
    Easy Gee
    Easy Gee
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post by Easy Gee Sun Sep 26, 2010 8:05 am

So he did, I will have to check this out in more detail.... Wink
    AndrewA74
    AndrewA74

Name : Andrew
    Registration date : 2009-02-17
    Number of posts : 930

Post by AndrewA74 Sun Sep 26, 2010 12:47 pm

It was common practice for Rangers to cut these panels up and sew them into the inside lining of thier hat so in case they were in trouble / lost they could flip thier hat inside out. I have two of these caps like this, most of them have rank, name on back, and cat eyes. In fact, I just sold one on eBay like this.
    Andrew
    HoovieDude
    HoovieDude
    Senior Sergeant
    Senior Sergeant

Registration date : 2010-04-04
    Number of posts : 351

Post by HoovieDude Sun Sep 26, 2010 1:04 pm

AndrewA74 wrote:It was common practice for Rangers to cut these panels up and sew them into the inside lining of thier hat so in case they were in trouble / lost they could flip thier hat inside out. I have two of these caps like this, most of them have rank, name on back, and cat eyes. In fact, I just sold one on eBay like this.
    Andrew

Not just a Ranger practice. We would do that too, usually in a boonie. Shane is correct, used alot more than people thingk about or see in pics. The 17 panels were usually a dime a dozen, and each crew, squad seemed to have three or four of them, lol. And the cut out pieces aren't used so much for when one is mis-orientated**, but more for near recognition procedures when conducting dismounted passage of lines, and other recognition purposes when out and about on foot. Also used for marking LZ/DZ's, etc..

** One never gets LOST. Simply mis-orientated, or "no, I was checking something out before getting back on track". Exception to that term, and it used as LOST, is if it is a cherry LT, then he is without a doubt LOST. Often said as Lima Lima Mike Fofxtrot.....Lost Like a Mother F****R!! Laughing Laughing
    panzerwerk
    panzerwerk
    Colonel
    Colonel

Name : Steve Hoeger
    Registration date : 2009-02-16
    Number of posts : 3068

Post by panzerwerk Sun Sep 26, 2010 1:32 pm

Lima Lima Mike Fofxtrot.....Lost Like a Mother F****R!!

LMAO I just blew coffee all over my key board !!!!!!!
    jeva
    jeva
    Sergeant
    Sergeant

Registration date : 2010-01-15
    Number of posts : 273

Post by jeva Sun Sep 26, 2010 2:31 pm

Exellent little piece of material .
    I always liked the bride colors.
    And when I,m in the mountens there always 1 on the person.

There is also a Dutch variant .I will look it up.

jeroen from holland
    cobalt545
    cobalt545
    Junior Sergeant
    Junior Sergeant

Registration date : 2010-07-23
    Number of posts : 189

Post by cobalt545 Sun Sep 26, 2010 9:14 pm

Photobucket

I find this picture particularly interesting. The guy is throwing a bag of seized opium gum into the back of the truck. There is literally tens of millions of dollars worth in the back of that truck. affraid
    Easy Gee
    Easy Gee
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post by Easy Gee Mon Sep 27, 2010 3:59 pm

HoovieDude wrote:
    AndrewA74 wrote:It was common practice for Rangers to cut these panels up and sew them into the inside lining of thier hat so in case they were in trouble / lost they could flip thier hat inside out. I have two of these caps like this, most of them have rank, name on back, and cat eyes. In fact, I just sold one on eBay like this.
    Andrew

Not just a Ranger practice. We would do that too, usually in a boonie. Shane is correct, used alot more than people thingk about or see in pics. The 17 panels were usually a dime a dozen, and each crew, squad seemed to have three or four of them, lol. And the cut out pieces aren't used so much for when one is mis-orientated**, but more for near recognition procedures when conducting dismounted passage of lines, and other recognition purposes when out and about on foot. Also used for marking LZ/DZ's, etc..

** One never gets LOST. Simply mis-orientated, or "no, I was checking something out before getting back on track". Exception to that term, and it used as LOST, is if it is a cherry LT, then he is without a doubt LOST. Often said as Lima Lima Mike Fofxtrot.....Lost Like a Mother F****R!! Laughing Laughing

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing LLmF,good one one Dude......kind of on the lines of FUBAR ,I guess Laughing Laughing
    Easy Gee
    Easy Gee
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post by Easy Gee Mon Sep 27, 2010 4:01 pm

cobalt545 wrote:Photobucket

I find this picture particularly interesting. The guy is throwing a bag of seized opium gum into the back of the truck. There is literally tens of millions of dollars worth in the back of that truck. affraid

Man,the amount of militaria,you buy with that kind of cash......now that would be a superb trade Laughing
    misanthropic_gods
    misanthropic_gods

Post by misanthropic_gods Mon Sep 27, 2010 4:36 pm

Good eye! I wasnt sure what they were throwing into that truck and why...thanks for clearing that up! affraid I wish I had tens of millions of dollars in MY truck....but not opium though.
    cobalt545
    cobalt545
    Junior Sergeant
    Junior Sergeant

Registration date : 2010-07-23
    Number of posts : 189

Post by cobalt545 Mon Sep 27, 2010 4:44 pm

misanthropic_gods wrote:

Good eye! I wasnt sure what they were throwing into that truck and why...thanks for clearing that up! affraid I wish I had tens of millions of dollars in MY truck....but not opium though.

I know from first hand experience in Afghanistan. Still though, I shouldn't be hijacking this thread like that. My apologies to the original poster.
    misanthropic_gods
    misanthropic_gods

Post by misanthropic_gods Mon Sep 27, 2010 4:59 pm

cobalt545 wrote:
    misanthropic_gods wrote:

I know from first hand experience in Afghanistan. Still though, I shouldn't be hijacking this thread like that. My apologies to the original poster.

Im the OP and I say its fine! We were discussing something that was going on in one of the pictures, I dont feel it was off topic at all. What a Face

Thanks for the info!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:17 pm