IACMC MILITARIA FORUM

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+4
Camo_fiend
vonstuck
CollectinSteve
bond007a1
8 posters

LITHUANIAN DESERT CAMOUFLAGES

CollectinSteve
    CollectinSteve
    ADMIN
    ADMIN

Registration date : 2009-03-08
    Number of posts : 6888

LITHUANIAN DESERT CAMOUFLAGES - Page 2 Empty Re: LITHUANIAN DESERT CAMOUFLAGES

Post by CollectinSteve Thu Oct 11, 2018 12:09 am

Thanks for the update! Steve's example at the top of this thread is a puzzler. It looks factory made and I know of no fakes, so I'm presuming it is official in some way even if it was a one off. Single button exposed pockets vs. double button hidden pockets is definitely less expensive to make, so that's probably a clue.

Steve
    ripcord
    ripcord
    Colonel
    Colonel

Registration date : 2012-12-29
    Number of posts : 2771

Post by ripcord Fri Oct 12, 2018 10:47 am

The mystery continues, Steve...

JD has an early " pink " blouse with exposed single button which he posted on OEF/OIF .

It is almost identical to Steve's example.  Only difference I can discern from the photo is the rank tab.
    While Steve's example has a simple velcro patch like the later " pinks", JD's  has a tab with velcro that is identical to the tabs on the "yellow " types..  

Additionally, Gilles, has posted a " pink " blouse with concealed buttons but with the same rank tab as the " yellow " types..

I suppose this shows the evolution of this uniform, and assume JD's blouse predates Steve's..

S
    jimmyduncan23
    jimmyduncan23
    Major
    Major

Registration date : 2011-07-29
    Number of posts : 1482

Post by jimmyduncan23 Fri Oct 12, 2018 9:00 pm

These are the models i have in order of age i believe.
    LITHUANIAN DESERT CAMOUFLAGES - Page 2 Ipone_16LITHUANIAN DESERT CAMOUFLAGES - Page 2 Dscf5210LITHUANIAN DESERT CAMOUFLAGES - Page 2 Lith_010LITHUANIAN DESERT CAMOUFLAGES - Page 2 Lith_014
    CollectinSteve
    CollectinSteve
    ADMIN
    ADMIN

Post by CollectinSteve Fri Oct 12, 2018 11:42 pm

And now a second example of the exposed button type.  Nice, but still confusing!

It seems very odd that they would swerve from their Soviet era traditional lower pocket style and go right back to it again.  Having said that, the Estonians did something similar in 2006.  One run of uniforms with exposed buttons, then back to covered.

OK so it seems we have two basic uniforms and two color patterns:

First Model = slant chest pockets, hidden buttons, rank velcro on a chest epaulet
    Second Model = vertical chest pockets, hidden buttons, rank velcro sewn directly to the jacket front

First Pattern = 4 color desert "shatter"
    Second Pattern = 3 color desert "shatter"

For the most part First Model and First Pattern go together, Second Model and Second Pattern go together.  However, there are several sub variants. It seems to me we've identified the following:

Second Model, First Pattern, Hidden Buttons, Rank Epaulet as First Model
    Second Model, Second Pattern, Hidden Buttons, Rank Epaulet as First Model
    Second Model, Second Pattern, Exposed Buttons, Rank Epaulet as First Model
    Second Model, Second Pattern, Exposed Buttons, Rank Velcro as Second Model

Info from a soldier issued Second Model/First Pattern said it was an expedient to use up existing stocks of First Pattern cloth.  The exposed buttons and style of rank display are probably early production variations.

That look right?

Steve

Last edited by CollectinSteve on Fri Oct 12, 2018 11:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
    CollectinSteve
    CollectinSteve
    ADMIN
    ADMIN

Post by CollectinSteve Fri Oct 12, 2018 11:47 pm

Here's a dated picture of a soldier with Second Model, Second Pattern, Hidden Buttons, Rank Epaulet.  It is dated 2003, so this variant is no later than this date. The bottom part is Gilles' uniform:

LITHUANIAN DESERT CAMOUFLAGES - Page 2 Lithua10
    LITHUANIAN DESERT CAMOUFLAGES - Page 2 100_4710

Steve
    ripcord
    ripcord
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post by ripcord Sat Oct 13, 2018 5:57 pm

Thanks JD ; the photos are appreciated.

Looks like you have 3 different yellow pattern smocks and a parka in the same pattern.

I have not  seen one with those zippers.          

LITHUANIAN DESERT CAMOUFLAGES - Page 2 Lith_010

The 2 pattern blouse ( pink ) is quite intriguing as it has some unique features; most likely, it is an earlier version.  Very nice.

Gille's 2 pattern blouse is also different.  Looks like it has first pattern ( second type ) chest  zippers pulls *, rank tab/epaulette , and no sleeve pockets.
    I would say it is probably an earlier type than JD's regardless of  the concealed double buttons.  Possibly different  contractors produced slight variations.

There are some 4 versions of the woodland types;  desert types have evolved as well..

Steve.  Looks like you have pretty much nailed it..  Good reference photo as well.

This  is probably the latest version.  And yes, there are differences.

LITHUANIAN DESERT CAMOUFLAGES - Page 2 S-l16016

Last but not least: a great photo of the yellow in use by Lithuanian forces participating in a Danish led rotation to Iraq

LITHUANIAN DESERT CAMOUFLAGES - Page 2 Baner-10

* early zipper pulls look like they would break easily under sustained use, but they do have character..

S
    CollectinSteve
    CollectinSteve
    ADMIN
    ADMIN

Post by CollectinSteve Tue Oct 16, 2018 1:11 am

Sheesh!  There are a lot of variants out there.  No arm pockets!  Cripes, I missed that.  Which caused me to look through my pictures again and I found another variant.  Here is a new summary:

Second Model, First Pattern, Hidden Buttons, Rank Epaulet as First Model, Arm Pockets
    Second Model, Second Pattern, Exposed Buttons, Rank Epaulet as First Model, Arm Pockets
    Second Model, Second Pattern, Exposed Buttons, Rank Velcro as Second Model, Arm Pockets
    Second Model, Second Pattern, Hidden Buttons, Rank Epaulet as First Model, Arm Pockets
    Second Model, Second Pattern, Hidden Buttons, Rank Epaulet as First Model, No Arm Pockets
    Second Model, Second Pattern, Hidden Buttons, Rank Velcro as Second Model, No Arm Pockets

Interesting to note that there is a woodland Shatter jacket and parka without arm pockets, which is consistent with the desert version without arm pockets.

The zipper pull types appear to be all over the map!  The 2nd Model 1st Pattern jacket I have has the normal pulls and not the big rounded ones like in the above picture.  However, my 2nd Model 2nd Pattern jacket has the big rounded pulls!

Steve
    ripcord
    ripcord
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post by ripcord Tue Oct 16, 2018 12:59 pm

Looks like there are more desert variants than woodland variants...

Differences are mostly minor, but they are obvious; some mimic the changes in the woodland types, some not.

Seems that for a time, the Lithuania rocker and flag was moved to the right  shoulder, but are now back on the  left  side ( at least for the desert types ).

LITHUANIAN DESERT CAMOUFLAGES - Page 2 22b62912

LITHUANIAN DESERT CAMOUFLAGES - Page 2 S-l16017

LITHUANIAN DESERT CAMOUFLAGES - Page 2 66a4b610

LITHUANIAN DESERT CAMOUFLAGES - Page 2 Lietuv10

This is most likely the latest type of desert uniform with  large velcro panels on shoulder pockets.  Chest pockets seems to have remained as per usual on desert patterns while the latest woodland pattern have slanted chest pockets

LITHUANIAN DESERT CAMOUFLAGES - Page 2 Pag-1610

Also found evidence of an exposed lower pocket button second pattern blouse in use.

LITHUANIAN DESERT CAMOUFLAGES - Page 2 Misija10

S
    mylle
    mylle
    Lieutenant Colonel
    Lieutenant Colonel

Name : Alex
    Registration date : 2013-10-18
    Number of posts : 2283

Post by mylle Tue Oct 16, 2018 4:47 pm

Very interesting.... I think I never saw the exposed button  desert blouse before.
    ripcord
    ripcord
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post by ripcord Thu Oct 18, 2018 6:43 pm

Alex,

First photo I've seen of the exposed button variant in use.

This set is from 2012 and has minor differences ; most obvious is the flag and Lithuania Rocker on left side and added zipper pulls.  Trousers also have some minor differences .

LITHUANIAN DESERT CAMOUFLAGES - Page 2 Dscn7622

LITHUANIAN DESERT CAMOUFLAGES - Page 2 Dscn7623

LITHUANIAN DESERT CAMOUFLAGES - Page 2 Dscn7624

LITHUANIAN DESERT CAMOUFLAGES - Page 2 Dscn7626

LITHUANIAN DESERT CAMOUFLAGES - Page 2 Dscn7628

LITHUANIAN DESERT CAMOUFLAGES - Page 2 Dscn7627

This blouse is an earlier variant from different manufacturer.  

LITHUANIAN DESERT CAMOUFLAGES - Page 2 Dscn7629

LITHUANIAN DESERT CAMOUFLAGES - Page 2 Dscn7630

S
    CollectinSteve
    CollectinSteve
    ADMIN
    ADMIN

Post by CollectinSteve Thu Oct 18, 2018 11:29 pm

It looks like one of the major manufacturing differences is the velcro backing now comes standard as opposed to the earlier practice of soldiers applying their own. Interesting they standardized the "LITHUANIA" arc on the right shoulder vs. their long standing use of the left shoulder.

Steve
    ripcord
    ripcord
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post by ripcord Fri Oct 19, 2018 12:01 am

Here is another variant with velcro backing for flag and Lithuania rocker on the left and  factory zipper pulls..  The labels on this one and the 2012 model I posted are sown into  inside lateral seam ; an extra button is sown into each label.

LITHUANIAN DESERT CAMOUFLAGES - Page 2 S-l16018

I'm fairly certain the flag and Lithuania rocker are now back on the left side, at least on current desert uniforms ,although latest photos of the new pattern in use shows them to be on the right.  
    Will be interesting to see if they remain there.

LITHUANIAN DESERT CAMOUFLAGES - Page 2 Pag-1611

S
    CollectinSteve
    CollectinSteve
    ADMIN
    ADMIN

Post by CollectinSteve Fri Oct 19, 2018 3:07 am

Holy crow Rip! No wonder Lithuania changed its regulations to stop foreigners from buying their uniforms. Somewhere in Lithuania there's a battalion wondering why you have all their uniforms Very Happy

Steve

ripcord likes this post

ripcord
    ripcord
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post by ripcord Sat Apr 15, 2023 3:46 pm

Managed to find trousers to complete this 1st patter/2nd type uniform.

LITHUANIAN DESERT CAMOUFLAGES - Page 2 20230417

jimmyduncan23 likes this post

ripcord
    ripcord
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post by ripcord Sat Jun 03, 2023 1:30 pm

And a spare...

LITHUANIAN DESERT CAMOUFLAGES - Page 2 20230517

jimmyduncan23 likes this post

CollectinSteve
    CollectinSteve
    ADMIN
    ADMIN

Post by CollectinSteve Sat Jun 03, 2023 3:47 pm

Nicely done!

Heh... I think i was bidding on those trousers you got last month. If so, I'm sorry for punching up the price Wink

Steve

ripcord likes this post

ripcord
    ripcord
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post by ripcord Sat Jun 03, 2023 9:10 pm

It's not everyday that lone trousers in this pattern show up.... Laughing

No problem, $47.00 was not so bad .. pirat
    CollectinSteve
    CollectinSteve
    ADMIN
    ADMIN

Post by CollectinSteve Sun Jun 04, 2023 1:25 pm

Yeah, that was a steal. I only put in a minimal bid because I don't need yet another orphan trouser to eventually get rid of. Yet I LOVE this pattern, so I could not resist. Glad they went to you.

Steve

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:22 pm