IACMC MILITARIA FORUM

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+5
CollectinSteve
heidelberger
NorBn
Philip
filupe
9 posters

Two European patches - German and Serbian?

filupe
    filupe

Registration date : 2009-02-16
    Number of posts : 1082

Two European patches - German and Serbian? Empty Two European patches - German and Serbian?

Post by filupe Sat Mar 07, 2009 1:42 pm

Two patches which came out of a rucksack carried by an Australian soldier in Iraq. How they got in there I don't know - possibly traded with German and Serbian contingents? Is there a Serbian contingent even in Iraq? Anyway, ID of the units concerned would be appreciated.

Two European patches - German and Serbian? Unknownpatches
    Philip
    Philip
    ADMIN MODERATOR
    ADMIN MODERATOR

Registration date : 2009-02-17
    Number of posts : 3117

Two European patches - German and Serbian? Empty Re: Two European patches - German and Serbian?

Post by Philip Sat Mar 07, 2009 1:53 pm

as far as i know there are no german troops in iraq. just a-stan. i dont know about serbia but i think also no...

NorBn
    Sergeant
    Sergeant

Registration date : 2009-02-27
    Number of posts : 282

Two European patches - German and Serbian? Empty Re: Two European patches - German and Serbian?

Post by NorBn Sat Mar 07, 2009 2:31 pm

The Serb patch is in fact from Bosnia & Herzegovina or more correct the Serb Republic in Bosnia & Herzegovina. Looks like a subdued or very faded version of the insignia of the Vojska Republike Srpske (shortened VRS)/ Army of the Serb Republic shoulder patch. The “BPC” on the patch is in Cyrillic and is translated to “VRS”.
    Not sure about the German one, but probably a unit in connection with a mountain unit because of the edelweiss flower on it.
    heidelberger
    heidelberger
    Corporal
    Corporal

Name : Oliver
    Registration date : 2010-06-23
    Number of posts : 46

Post by heidelberger Thu Jun 24, 2010 8:05 am

Hello,

i have never seen a Bundeswehr Patche like this. But its very interesiting for me. Mayby its a private design from some Soldiers and Lokals made this... Like we when i was in Kosovo 1999, we made our one Patche with skulls ( when i found it i show you), But It was never Allowed (Approved)to use this on our Uniforms!!!! Shocked Wink

To the second one i have just one idea, mayby Polnish??? 2 Eagles... and in Iraq there have polnish Soldiers...

oliver
    CollectinSteve
    CollectinSteve
    ADMIN
    ADMIN

Registration date : 2009-03-08
    Number of posts : 6888

Post by CollectinSteve Thu Jun 24, 2010 3:46 pm

I think the one on the left is Polish. They also use the Edelweiß design for their mountain troops.

The one on the right is definitely of the Serbian Armed Forces badge. Recently (about 2007?) they dropped the double headed eagle logo and just focused on the shield symbol that is in the middle. So it's a badge probably from the early to mid 2000s.

What I don't understand is how this badge, which is apparently desert tones, got into either Afghanistan or Iraq. Besides embassy security forces I am unaware of any Serbian military contingents in either country.

Steve
    NorBn
    NorBn
    Sergeant
    Sergeant

Registration date : 2009-02-27
    Number of posts : 282

Post by NorBn Sun Jun 27, 2010 4:44 am

CollectinSteve wrote:I think the one on the left is Polish. They also use the Edelweiß design for their mountain troops.
    The one on the right is definitely of the Serbian Armed Forces badge. Recently (about 2007?) they dropped the double headed eagle logo and just focused on the shield symbol that is in the middle. So it's a badge probably from the early to mid 2000s.
    What I don't understand is how this badge, which is apparently desert tones, got into either Afghanistan or Iraq. Besides embassy security forces I am unaware of any Serbian military contingents in either country.

Steve

Like I said earlier, the Serb patch belongs to the Army of the Serb Republic in Bosnia & Herzegovina (Vojska Republike Srpske or VRS) and not to the Serb Army (Vojska Srbije or VS) in Serbia.
    heidelberger
    heidelberger
    Corporal
    Corporal

Name : Oliver
    Registration date : 2010-06-23
    Number of posts : 46

Post by heidelberger Sun Jun 27, 2010 5:18 am

Hello,

I found it, the Left One is a Rumänien Unit in afgahnistan! Sometimes i ASK me Why Nobody check google????

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zt9i2qX-Irg&feature=youtube_gdata

Mit freundlichen grüßen

Murhard Oliver
    Nicolai
    Nicolai
    Corporal
    Corporal

Name : Mikolaj
    Registration date : 2011-09-11
    Number of posts : 13

Post by Nicolai Sun Sep 11, 2011 2:37 pm

This is certainly not a Polish patc ..it's Romanian "Black Vipers" in Afghanistan ....
    zvez
    Sergeant Major
    Sergeant Major

Registration date : 2009-02-21
    Number of posts : 419

Post by zvez Sun Sep 11, 2011 4:34 pm

Yep, soon as I saw it knew it was Romanian, as they name they're units like that I've got a few, the "white sharks" and another one "red scorpions" both iraq served units

http://www.army.mil/article/18036/

Chris
    tenewel
    Junior Sergeant
    Junior Sergeant

Registration date : 2011-07-26
    Number of posts : 132

Post by tenewel Sun Sep 11, 2011 7:05 pm

Any chance of a Serb or three running around as a contractor or security? I know we had several at Tikrit with us that worked as generator mechanics. Could have brought it out over out of loyalty.
    zvez
    Sergeant Major
    Sergeant Major

Registration date : 2009-02-21
    Number of posts : 419

Post by zvez Sun Sep 11, 2011 7:30 pm

Here are the two romanian combat units mentioned in the above post, also a couple pics of the red scorpions patch in use. What's really interesting is the scorpions head looks just like the crusaders helmet, including the cross shaped opening.

Chris

Two European patches - German and Serbian? Roman10

Two European patches - German and Serbian? Romani11Two European patches - German and Serbian? Romani12
    filupe
    filupe

Post by filupe Sun Sep 11, 2011 8:37 pm

heidelberger wrote:Hello,
    I found it, the Left One is a Rumänien Unit in afgahnistan! Sometimes i ASK me Why Nobody check google????
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zt9i2qX-Irg&feature=youtube_gdata
    Mit freundlichen grüßen
    Murhard Oliver

Possibly because the first post in this thread was posted *before* the YouTube video was uploaded?? Don't worry - google was the *first* thing I checked at the time and there was zzzzip. Nevertheless, thanks very much for the ID and link.
    CollectinSteve
    CollectinSteve
    ADMIN
    ADMIN

Registration date : 2009-03-08
    Number of posts : 6888

Post by CollectinSteve Sun Sep 11, 2011 9:18 pm

The funny coincidence is the modern Polish 21st Podhale Rifles Brigade carries on the traditions of the 21st Mountain Division (old WWII and earlier time). Here's an article on the Polish unit:

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/2354706/posts

Steve
    Jugosloven
    Jugosloven
    Junior Sergeant
    Junior Sergeant

Registration date : 2012-02-09
    Number of posts : 114

Post by Jugosloven Sat Sep 29, 2012 1:06 am

The VRS patch isnt faded, it was a patch made for the VRS who were in Iraq ina joiint operation with FED BiH army in de mining zones. Thanks
    filupe
    filupe

Post by filupe Sat Sep 29, 2012 1:27 am

Thanks to all who posted for confirming the identity of these two patches. Looks like the Aussie soldier who scored these got around!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:24 am