Unknown Berets

    Share
    avatar
    nkomo
    ADMIN
    ADMIN

    Name : Arch
    Location : Kentucky, USA
    Registration date : 2009-02-13
    Number of posts : 3196

    Unknown Berets

    Post by nkomo on Sat Mar 07, 2009 11:42 pm

    Any idea on these berets guys? I think the maroon one is Syrian in origin. The lime green one is quite the mystery. The lime green one has a tag that says: "56 MADE IN KOREA". Thanks in advance.



    _________________
    Always looking for Central American militaria 1965 to 1991. Especially items relating to Coronel Velasquez El Salvador Armed Forces
    avatar
    NorBn
    Sergeant
    Sergeant

    Location : Norway
    Registration date : 2009-02-27
    Number of posts : 280

    Re: Unknown Berets

    Post by NorBn on Tue Mar 10, 2009 3:43 pm

    The badge on the maroon beret sure looks like it's from Syria, but it's been a while since I bumped into any badges from that part of the world, so I'm not 100% sure. No info on the lime green beret...
    avatar
    CollectinSteve
    ADMIN
    ADMIN

    Location : New England, US
    Registration date : 2009-03-08
    Number of posts : 5886

    Re: Unknown Berets

    Post by CollectinSteve on Tue Mar 10, 2009 5:00 pm

    I agree that the first badge is Syrian. I'm not sure if it is limited to paras or not, but there are pics of these berets in use in Lebanon prior to the Syrian withdrawal.

    The second one appears to be from Yeman, based on the highlighting of that country in the stylized Arabian Peninsula outline.

    Steve
    avatar
    nkomo
    ADMIN
    ADMIN

    Name : Arch
    Location : Kentucky, USA
    Registration date : 2009-02-13
    Number of posts : 3196

    Re: Unknown Berets

    Post by nkomo on Sat Mar 14, 2009 12:16 am

    Thanks for the ID guys!
    Arch


    _________________
    Always looking for Central American militaria 1965 to 1991. Especially items relating to Coronel Velasquez El Salvador Armed Forces
    avatar
    Eddie Parks
    Corporal
    Corporal

    Location : Northern Ireland
    Registration date : 2012-05-14
    Number of posts : 37

    Re: Unknown Berets

    Post by Eddie Parks on Mon May 14, 2012 5:38 am

    Hi Guys

    The maroon beret is confirmed as Syrian. The lime green one is the Gulf Cooperation Council which sent troops to Gulf War 1. Yemen is in fact lowlighted as it's not part of the GCC.

    Eddie
    avatar
    nkomo
    ADMIN
    ADMIN

    Name : Arch
    Location : Kentucky, USA
    Registration date : 2009-02-13
    Number of posts : 3196

    Re: Unknown Berets

    Post by nkomo on Mon May 14, 2012 6:55 am

    Eddie Parks wrote:Hi Guys

    The maroon beret is confirmed as Syrian. The lime green one is the Gulf Cooperation Council which sent troops to Gulf War 1. Yemen is in fact lowlighted as it's not part of the GCC.

    Eddie
    Many thinks, Eddie! Any idea what the lime green color would signify?


    _________________
    Always looking for Central American militaria 1965 to 1991. Especially items relating to Coronel Velasquez El Salvador Armed Forces
    avatar
    Eddie Parks
    Corporal
    Corporal

    Location : Northern Ireland
    Registration date : 2012-05-14
    Number of posts : 37

    Re: Unknown Berets

    Post by Eddie Parks on Mon May 14, 2012 8:13 am

    nkomo wrote:
    Eddie Parks wrote:Hi Guys

    The maroon beret is confirmed as Syrian. The lime green one is the Gulf Cooperation Council which sent troops to Gulf War 1. Yemen is in fact lowlighted as it's not part of the GCC.

    Eddie
    Many thinks, Eddie! Any idea what the lime green color would signify?

    I am afraid I have no idea. I've never seen anything approaching that colour anywhere - I'd be ashamed to be seen in it!!
    Eddie
    avatar
    nkomo
    ADMIN
    ADMIN

    Name : Arch
    Location : Kentucky, USA
    Registration date : 2009-02-13
    Number of posts : 3196

    Re: Unknown Berets

    Post by nkomo on Mon May 14, 2012 8:15 am

    Eddie Parks wrote:
    nkomo wrote:
    Eddie Parks wrote:Hi Guys

    The maroon beret is confirmed as Syrian. The lime green one is the Gulf Cooperation Council which sent troops to Gulf War 1. Yemen is in fact lowlighted as it's not part of the GCC.

    Eddie
    Many thinks, Eddie! Any idea what the lime green color would signify?

    I am afraid I have no idea. I've never seen anything approaching that colour anywhere - I'd be ashamed to be seen in it!!
    Eddie

    I so agree with you, sir! Laughing Laughing


    _________________
    Always looking for Central American militaria 1965 to 1991. Especially items relating to Coronel Velasquez El Salvador Armed Forces
    avatar
    drmatz
    MODERATOR
    MODERATOR

    Name : danilo matz
    Age : 40
    Location : USA
    Registration date : 2009-02-16
    Number of posts : 2069

    Re: Unknown Berets

    Post by drmatz on Mon May 14, 2012 3:25 pm

    the green lime color is also used by israel, i have one that was given to me by the soldier...
    the maroon beret as everybody else's pointed out is syrian Smile
    cool berets arch




    _________________
    dmatz


    http://picasaweb.google.com/danilomatz
    avatar
    drmatz
    MODERATOR
    MODERATOR

    Name : danilo matz
    Age : 40
    Location : USA
    Registration date : 2009-02-16
    Number of posts : 2069

    Re: Unknown Berets

    Post by drmatz on Mon May 14, 2012 3:27 pm

    PS - i think the color is issued to infantry troops... not 100% sure


    _________________
    dmatz


    http://picasaweb.google.com/danilomatz
    avatar
    nkomo
    ADMIN
    ADMIN

    Name : Arch
    Location : Kentucky, USA
    Registration date : 2009-02-13
    Number of posts : 3196

    Re: Unknown Berets

    Post by nkomo on Mon May 14, 2012 8:13 pm

    drmatz wrote:PS - i think the color is issued to infantry troops... not 100% sure
    Danilo,
    As I thought about this today, I remembered that the Panamanian Defense Force (Noriega era) also wore a lime green beret and it was associated with an infantry unit. Since the Israelis helped train the PDF, the lime green infantry connection makes perfect sense.


    _________________
    Always looking for Central American militaria 1965 to 1991. Especially items relating to Coronel Velasquez El Salvador Armed Forces
    avatar
    Eddie Parks
    Corporal
    Corporal

    Location : Northern Ireland
    Registration date : 2012-05-14
    Number of posts : 37

    Re: Unknown Berets

    Post by Eddie Parks on Tue May 15, 2012 4:13 am

    Which would of course be an excellent reason for the GCC to do something completely different!!
    Eddie

    Sponsored content

    Re: Unknown Berets

    Post by Sponsored content


      Current date/time is Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:55 am