IACMC MILITARIA FORUM

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

4 posters

Comparison between Early CADPAT-TW and current issue

misanthropic_gods
    misanthropic_gods

Registration date : 2009-07-27
    Number of posts : 991

Comparison between Early CADPAT-TW and current issue Empty Comparison between Early CADPAT-TW and current issue

Post by misanthropic_gods Sat Jan 08, 2011 8:44 am

Thought you guys might be a bit interested in this...I just got my hands on a 2007 dated CADPAT boonie that I compared to my 2002 dated Helmet cover. The CADPAT pattern was first issued in 2002 and this is presumably the first pattern. It looks quite different up close

This is comparing the neck flap of both the boonie and the helmet cover, these are both in near mint condition and havent faded at all.

Comparison between Early CADPAT-TW and current issue CADPAT-TWcomparison-1
    Mk1rceme
    Mk1rceme
    Senior Sergeant
    Senior Sergeant

Name : Dale
    Registration date : 2009-11-22
    Number of posts : 345

Comparison between Early CADPAT-TW and current issue Empty Re: Comparison between Early CADPAT-TW and current issue

Post by Mk1rceme Tue Jan 11, 2011 2:21 am

Quite the difference. I hear they had a hard time getting the colors not to bleed back then.
    misanthropic_gods
    misanthropic_gods

Registration date : 2009-07-27
    Number of posts : 991

Comparison between Early CADPAT-TW and current issue Empty Re: Comparison between Early CADPAT-TW and current issue

Post by misanthropic_gods Tue Jan 11, 2011 2:30 am

Oh yeah, they had a hell of a time...and the early stuff was WAY better than the prototypes. The Canadian textile machines just couldnt handle the hard lines.

Here is a first gen sample from the hyperstealth site, it is horrid

Comparison between Early CADPAT-TW and current issue CADPAT-proto
    cobalt545
    cobalt545
    Junior Sergeant
    Junior Sergeant

Registration date : 2010-07-23
    Number of posts : 189

Post by cobalt545 Tue Jan 11, 2011 7:29 am

The first CADPAT issued item I ever received was the helmet cover on the kevlar helmet I was issued. My battalion was issued these in 1997. I still have this cover on my helmet today and it isn't faded too badly. We still had the OD green combat uniforms until early 2000.

We saw CADPAT uniforms throughout the brigade being trialed and they seemed to become faded pretty quickly. Some were almost white! The materials were different from one trial batch to the next. Some were very high in cotton content while others were high in nylon content.

By the time the rest of us in the brigade were issued our first CADPAT uniforms they had settled on what seemed to be a 50/50 mix of cotton and nylon. Unfortunately, the first issue we received were really poor quality uniforms. The seams were fraying quickly and the colour started to fade really badly. I had two shirts that frayed so badly that the seams on my sleeves came apart and you could see the front of my shoulders. After a year most of my uniforms were unserviceable.

The CADPAT uniforms now are a lot better. They are darker than the original clothing but when they fade they don't turn white! They are a lot harder wearing as well. They don't fall apart at the seams and rips and tears don't cause the material to fray and unravel.
    CollectinSteve
    CollectinSteve
    ADMIN
    ADMIN

Registration date : 2009-03-08
    Number of posts : 6888

Post by CollectinSteve Tue Jan 11, 2011 5:33 pm

There was a huge batch of cloth, produced by a Quebec company, that was rejected due to quality problems. These were turned into commercial uniforms under the name Frontenac. Their first batch of uniforms was too close to the Canadian style so the government obligated them to produce stuff in BDU style thereafter. The primary quality problem was the ink wasn't evenly applied, especially for the black. I spotted this the second I had one in my hands and I didn't know a thing about it at the time, so it's pretty obvious.

It was rumored that the first test batches made for trials were produced in Pakistan. As Colbalt says, they weren't very good and they faded very quickly. But it bought time for the Canadian manufacturers to get the technology to make the cloth themselves. The first issue, which has white labels, faded fairly quickly but not as bad as the Pakistani stuff.

I've got a 1997 dated Pakistani made ARID CADPAT set that I'm convinced is a genuine trials item. But I have unfortunately not been able to confirm this. I also have used uniforms from the first production batch that was issued to the 22nd Rgt, which was the first to wear them overseas (Bosnia). I've got some later produced stuff, and as Cobalt said, the quality is noticeably better.

Steve

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:31 pm