IACMC MILITARIA FORUM

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+7
Gunner76
filupe
seithenyn
tain669
CollectinSteve
mcoleman762
Camo_fiend
11 posters

ADRO "Urban" Pattern

Camo_fiend
    Camo_fiend

Name : Ben
    Registration date : 2009-07-22
    Number of posts : 2705

ADRO "Urban" Pattern Empty ADRO "Urban" Pattern

Post by Camo_fiend Sat Apr 30, 2011 2:15 am

Wish I could say I had a set to post, but sadly I don't. Neutral

I have personally only seen 2 pieces in this pattern, but know there are more out there. Does anyone have any information on this pattern? I have a few questions about it... When was it made? Was it purely commercial or was it ever used by police or the military? Is it still in circulation and if so, how hard would it be to track down a set?

I've tried researching the manufacturer based on the info I've gathered from photos of the tags, but have turned up next to nothing.

Could any of our members who are more knowledgeable in African militaria help shed some light on the subject? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
    Ben

See my collection online: http://benscamo.webs.com/
    mcoleman762
    mcoleman762
    Junior Sergeant
    Junior Sergeant

Name : Mike
    Registration date : 2009-02-18
    Number of posts : 172

ADRO "Urban" Pattern Empty Re: ADRO "Urban" Pattern

Post by mcoleman762 Sat Apr 30, 2011 3:21 pm

Hi Ben,

The South African produced two-tone "urban" camouflage was a purely commercial pattern produced for export. Anyone who says this pattern saw official use with SA forces is trying to sell you a story. The SADF, SAP, SARP, etc. never used this pattern. I've heard from a few South African sources that this pattern was available for civilian sale within SA as the "urban" colors weren't prohibited. Remember, during the 70's and 80's private possession of camouflage in South Africa was illegal. Since this pattern wasn't in Earth tones of greens and browns, it was exempt. In the US, this pattern saw limited availability from places like US Cavalry and Brigade Quartermasters during the late 80's. I remember some surplus shops still had stocks of this for sale during the early 90's, but that was the last time it was readily available.

It was manufactured by Adder, Adro and Robar Fashions. None of these companies exist anymore. In fact, Adder and Adro were front companies for legitimate SADF contractors, and were basically set up as an export division. As most are aware, these "companies" also produced the Rhodesian camo copy uniforms. There were also a few commercial copies of Recce webbing produced that were marketed under these names as well. With the end of the Border War in 1989, and the resultant draw-down of the South African military industrial complex, production of these commercial patterns ceased.

Anymore, about the only place where you will find these items for sale is eBay. You might get lucky with an older surplus shop, but that will be a freak chance. Most of my items came from eBay over the years. Usually there are a handful of items in this pattern available throughout the year.

There were several items made from this fabric, to include a bush jacket, shirt, trousers, bush hat, shorts, and a T-shirt.

Here's a few examles to feast your eyes on.

Hope this helps!

Mike

ADRO "Urban" Pattern Urban_10

ADRO "Urban" Pattern Urban_11

ADRO "Urban" Pattern Urban_12

ADRO "Urban" Pattern Urban_13

ADRO "Urban" Pattern Urban_14

ADRO "Urban" Pattern Urban_15

ADRO "Urban" Pattern Urban_16

ADRO "Urban" Pattern Urban_17
    CollectinSteve
    CollectinSteve
    ADMIN
    ADMIN

Registration date : 2009-03-08
    Number of posts : 6906

Post by CollectinSteve Sat Apr 30, 2011 4:17 pm

I've had probably 10 pieces of this stuff go through my hands over the years. They cover the three companies that Mike mentioned. What Mike didn't mention (shame on him Wink) is there is quite a variety in colors between the different companies and/or production runs. No idea if it's one, the other, or both. Sometimes the colors tended more towards gray than purple. Mike, as you can see, has a beautiful bunch of similar colored stuff. Not a surprise given Mike's area of interest Very Happy I personally got rid of all my stuff as I only collect genuine issue and/or semi-official.

Steve

Camo_fiend
    Camo_fiend

Name : Ben
    Registration date : 2009-07-22
    Number of posts : 2705

Post by Camo_fiend Sat Apr 30, 2011 5:04 pm

Thanks for the info, Mike & Steve! cheers

I was not aware that hats, t-shirts and shorts were made in this pattern, I only knew of the smock, trousers and shirt. The day's not wasted, I learned something! The two pieces I have seen were both smocks, made by Adder & Adro, respectively. I stupidly passed on them, unsure of their origins or authenticity. But I like the pattern and have been beating myself up for passing them up ever since. Mike, you wouldn't happen to have some spares would you? Laughing

See my collection online: http://benscamo.webs.com/
    CollectinSteve
    CollectinSteve
    ADMIN
    ADMIN

Registration date : 2009-03-08
    Number of posts : 6906

Post by CollectinSteve Sat Apr 30, 2011 6:38 pm

The jackets appear to be the most common item to see, the rest are much harder to track down. I've never seen the bush hat, but I did have a T-Shirt.

Steve
    mcoleman762
    mcoleman762
    Junior Sergeant
    Junior Sergeant

Post by mcoleman762 Sat Apr 30, 2011 7:00 pm

Shame on me indeed.... Razz I've never noticed too much of a difference in the colors, except for real minor shade differences, most likely from different fabric lots. Clearly, when washed, they tend to take on a more gray appearance, and lose the purple tone.

All these items are very well made, and worth owning. Same with the Rhodesian pattern copies. The material is a heavy cotton, and they are well assembled. The field jackets are real nice, and worth tracking one down. Steve is right that the jackets seem the most common, but I've seen my fair share of shirts and trousers.

Currently I don't have any extras for trade, but I'll keep an eye out for you. I think I know of a bush hat that's available if you're interested.

Cheers,

Mike
    tain669

Registration date : 2011-05-17
    Number of posts : 4

Post by tain669 Sun Jun 05, 2011 1:51 am

Ha..I had a set of those
    seithenyn

Registration date : 2011-07-29
    Number of posts : 2

Post by seithenyn Fri Jul 29, 2011 8:46 am

I had the smock, bout 1985. Interesting back story. Bought it from the shopkeeper in the village, along with a Gerber Guardian MKii. Came home from college one day in 86 to be told it had been an exciting day in the village. Special Branch had come in, sealed off all the roads, gone in to the shop and arrested *******, and came out with quite a few m16's, greande's etc. Turns out they had to leave Rhodesia leaving all their assets, and he'd been planning to assasinate mugabe
    seithenyn

Registration date : 2011-07-29
    Number of posts : 2

Post by seithenyn Fri Jul 29, 2011 8:50 am

BTW, I remember seeing Fish from Marillion wearing one in one of their videos. That shows my age!
    filupe
    filupe

Registration date : 2009-02-16
    Number of posts : 1082

Post by filupe Fri Jul 29, 2011 10:57 am

seithenyn wrote:Turns out they had to leave Rhodesia leaving all their assets, and he'd been planning to assasinate mugabe

... and the problem with that is?? Wink

Getting back on topic, I remember these as well - I reckon I've got an old US Cav catalogue with these in them - I'll scan it when I come across it again.

It's roots to DPM are unmistakable and it could even be a urban version of the Sparse Desert DPM the Brits would field some years later.
    Gunner76
    Gunner76

Name : Riaan
    Registration date : 2012-07-09
    Number of posts : 1

Post by Gunner76 Mon Jul 09, 2012 12:15 pm

Interesting read, just picked up a XL jacket in the pattern. Now to track down some pants.
    loski
    loski
    Captain
    Captain

Name : Graham
    Registration date : 2010-08-11
    Number of posts : 919

Post by loski Mon Jul 09, 2012 12:32 pm

I seem to rember in the mid to late 80,s a company here in the UK called Coxy's selling this pattern and Rhodesian anoung others allways meant to get some of the Rhodie stuff as they did an SAS pattern pullover smock in that I now regret not doing so, allso I have seen a hooded smock in the Adder urban as well
    zimbo

Registration date : 2012-04-08
    Number of posts : 4

Post by zimbo Tue Jul 31, 2012 6:30 am

I remember seeing this stuff in outdoor\camping shops. Was never issue as far as i know.
    minivega

Registration date : 2013-08-04
    Number of posts : 1

Post by minivega Sun Aug 04, 2013 4:20 am

Hi
    I have a shirt and trousers in the pattern, made by ADRO and would be interested in moving them on.
    Tabaquito
    Tabaquito

Registration date : 2013-10-19
    Number of posts : 3

Post by Tabaquito Sun Oct 20, 2013 11:38 pm

This pattern has also been used by the AWB Ystergarde and by Terre'Blanche himself. I have a cap with the Ystergarde small "Knight" flash swen to its front.

Here are some photos of the Ystergarde and Terre'Blanche wearing the pattern:

ADRO "Urban" Pattern Ysterg10

ADRO "Urban" Pattern Terre_10

ADRO "Urban" Pattern Terre_11

ADRO "Urban" Pattern Terre_12

ADRO "Urban" Pattern Terre_13

ADRO "Urban" Pattern Terre_14
    mcoleman762
    mcoleman762
    Junior Sergeant
    Junior Sergeant

Post by mcoleman762 Fri Oct 25, 2013 10:19 pm

Nice cap!  And some great photos as well.

However, the pattern of your cap, and that in the AWB photos, is not the same as the Adder/Adro commercial pattern.  The urban pattern of your cap, and the standard AWB desert camo, are three color patterns, whereas the commercial pattern in this thread is a two color pattern.

I'm sure it's possible that AWB members may have procurred this Adder/Adro pattern, and some diligent searching could probably turn up a photo of such.  However, it is not the standard camo pattern attributed to them.

The patterns are similar, just not the same.

Did I mention that's a nice cap?  Smile 

Cheers,

Mike
    Tabaquito
    Tabaquito

Registration date : 2013-10-19
    Number of posts : 3

Post by Tabaquito Tue Oct 29, 2013 8:55 pm

Hallo Mike,

I've double-checked my cap and an Adder smock that I have and you're right: they're different. Thanks for you making note the difference and for the compliments on the cap cheers

Cheers,

Mariano.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:17 am