IACMC MILITARIA FORUM

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

4 posters

Salty & Super-faded P68 Smock

Camo_fiend
    Camo_fiend

Name : Ben
    Registration date : 2009-07-22
    Number of posts : 2705

Salty & Super-faded P68 Smock Empty Salty & Super-faded P68 Smock

Post by Camo_fiend Thu Sep 08, 2011 6:39 pm

Picked this up today for a good price. I saw the fading and couldn't walk out the store without it!

It was actually on a display mannequin in the store, so I had to go ask the shopkeeper if he minded stripping it off to sell... money is money, right? He agreed, and I walked out 1 smock richer. Laughing

It's interesting that the bottom of the jacket has the piping sewn around the edges, I'm thinking that it was done due to heavy fraying at the bottom of the jacket.

Salty & Super-faded P68 Smock 2011-014

Salty & Super-faded P68 Smock 2011-015

Salty & Super-faded P68 Smock 2011-016
    Close-up of rank badge on right sleeve. Not sure if the picture shows it very well, but there is also a ghost of Para wings near the shoulder.

See my collection online: http://benscamo.webs.com/
    Easy Gee
    Easy Gee
    Colonel
    Colonel

Name : Gary
    Registration date : 2010-06-12
    Number of posts : 3591

Salty & Super-faded P68 Smock Empty Re: Salty & Super-faded P68 Smock

Post by Easy Gee Sat Sep 10, 2011 5:56 am

Hiya Ben.

I like the look of this Jacket mate..nice one.

Did you get it from your local surplus store, I'm amazed such a thing would be in your location.

I have have one with similiar levels of fading as yours,so I can see what attracted you to it.. very nice Mate Cool
    Camo_fiend
    Camo_fiend

Post by Camo_fiend Sat Sep 10, 2011 3:36 pm

Easy Gee wrote:Hiya Ben.

Did you get it from your local surplus store, I'm amazed such a thing would be in your location.

I have have one with similiar levels of fading as yours,so I can see what attracted you to it.. very nice Mate Cool
    Thanks for looking Gary!

This one actually came from a shop about an hour up the road from me, I went up to attend their inventory reduction sale, only to find it had been canceled due to rain... but it ended up not raining... go figure! Laughing

The sale got moved up, but I might venture back -- the owner said he's got 25 years worth of accumulated kit in a large garage to get rid of... who knows what might turn up? Smile

Easy Gee
    Easy Gee
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post by Easy Gee Tue Sep 13, 2011 4:05 pm

Camo_fiend wrote:
    Easy Gee wrote:Hiya Ben.

Thanks for looking Gary!

This one actually came from a shop about an hour up the road from me, I went up to attend their inventory reduction sale, only to find it had been canceled due to rain... but it ended up not raining... go figure! Laughing

The sale got moved up, but I might venture back -- the owner said he's got 25 years worth of accumulated kit in a large garage to get rid of... who knows what might turn up? Smile

Cool story Mate, I love these kind of purchases, and all it's unexpectedness!!!

I bought a pair of 68 trousers from a carboot sale recently, the woman wanted £1.50, naturally there was no haggling on my part, layed the cash down, and left a very happy man Very Happy
    Camo_fiend
    Camo_fiend

Post by Camo_fiend Tue Sep 13, 2011 4:48 pm

Easy Gee wrote:I bought a pair of 68 trousers from a carboot sale recently, the woman wanted £1.50, naturally there was no haggling on my part, layed the cash down, and left a very happy man Very Happy
    £1.50? Sure you didn't steal them mate? Laughing Good score indeed!

I think I'm going to have to check out one of these sales when I make my trek across the pond; they sound quite interesting!

Easy Gee
    Easy Gee
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post by Easy Gee Fri Sep 16, 2011 3:07 pm

Camo_fiend wrote:
    Easy Gee wrote:I bought a pair of 68 trousers from a carboot sale recently, the woman wanted £1.50, naturally there was no haggling on my part, layed the cash down, and left a very happy man Very Happy
    £1.50? Sure you didn't steal them mate? Laughing Good score indeed!

I think I'm going to have to check out one of these sales when I make my trek across the pond; they sound quite interesting!

Laughing Nah Mate, but I suppose it was the best bargain I got recently!!!

Ben,you never know you might see me there selling off all my crap, but don't worry mate I won't con ya , and will give you discount for multiple purchases...e.g. how do you fancy a kettle with no plug, and no hope of it ever working with one ...carboot sales...absolute waste of time..apart from all the miliataria goodies of course:lol:
    koalorka
    koalorka
    Lieutenant Colonel
    Lieutenant Colonel

Registration date : 2010-05-22
    Number of posts : 1733

Post by koalorka Fri Sep 16, 2011 4:45 pm

Nice find, I recently got my first 1968 pattern jacket, and boy, I now understand why they were so desirable compared to the P85 and more recent Chinese stuff. Mine however is the updated variant with the newer NSN, so it isn't marked Pattern 1968. Does that mean it's not really a P68?

And if you guys accidentally dig up a Pattern 1963 DPM in one of those shops, I have some delicious currency I'd trade you for it.. Very Happy
    Gulf91
    Colonel
    Colonel

Registration date : 2011-05-13
    Number of posts : 3858

Post by Gulf91 Sat Sep 17, 2011 3:58 am

koalorka wrote:Nice find, I recently got my first 1968 pattern jacket, and boy, I now understand why they were so desirable compared to the P85 and more recent Chinese stuff. Mine however is the updated variant with the newer NSN, so it isn't marked Pattern 1968. Does that mean it's not really a P68?

And if you guys accidentally dig up a Pattern 1963 DPM in one of those shops, I have some delicious currency I'd trade you for it.. Very Happy

Im not as anal as some collectors regarding small details so cannot give you the exact reasons why your smock isnt labelled as 68 pattern but it is a 68 pattern,2nd issue that had a few modifications/differences from the original(sorry dont know what these differences are im afraid).
    Easy Gee
    Easy Gee
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post by Easy Gee Sat Sep 17, 2011 8:46 am

koalorka wrote:Nice find, I recently got my first 1968 pattern jacket, and boy, I now understand why they were so desirable compared to the P85 and more recent Chinese stuff. Mine however is the updated variant with the newer NSN, so it isn't marked Pattern 1968. Does that mean it's not really a P68?

More than likely a 75 model same features they just have'nt got the 68 stamped on the care label....oops I hope that was'nt too Anal Rolling Eyes Laughing
    Gulf91
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post by Gulf91 Sat Sep 17, 2011 1:27 pm

Easy Gee wrote:

More than likely a 75 model same features they just have'nt got the 68 stamped on the care label....oops I hope that was'nt too Anal Rolling Eyes Laughing

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

75 model,thats a new one on me-didnt get that info from the Forces 80 site i hope Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

Anal is when you are buying smocks just because they have a different zip maker or slightly different coloured buttons to ones you have already Sad Sad

Sure someone mentioned on a different forum regarding the 68 labelled and later smocks that the material was slightly different-not 100% sure but maybe poly cotton or something where as the original was cotton and also possibly something to do with the lining or was that just the trs pale pale pale pale ???
    Easy Gee
    Easy Gee
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post by Easy Gee Sat Sep 17, 2011 3:12 pm

Gulf91 wrote:
    Easy Gee wrote:

75 model,thats a new one on me-didnt get that info from the Forces 80 site i hope Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

Anal is when you are buying smocks just because they have a different zip maker or slightly different coloured buttons to ones you have already Sad Sad

Sure someone mentioned on a different forum regarding the 68 labelled and later smocks that the material was slightly different-not 100% sure but maybe poly cotton or something where as the original was cotton and also possibly something to do with the lining or was that just the trs pale pale pale pale ???

Rich, you are such a cynic mate Laughing

This info came from a work colleague who was a RMC in the Falklands, and knows his s***!!!

That's where I learned to catagarise my "68" kit, I've got 3 x 75 Models Jkts, and 3 x Trs all 75's.

But I know what you mean, as I have seen similiar info on Forces 80!!!!

The debate about patterns continues........ Laughing
    Gulf91
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post by Gulf91 Sat Sep 17, 2011 3:20 pm

Easy Gee wrote:
    Gulf91 wrote:
    Easy Gee wrote:

Rich, you are such a cynic mate:lol:

This info came from a work colleague who was a RMC in the Falklands, and knows his s***!!!

That's where I learned to catagarise my "68" kit, I've got 3 x 75 Models Jkts, and 3 x Trs all 75's.

But I know what you mean, as I have seen similiar info on Forces 80!!!!

The debate about patterns continues........ Laughing

A cynic and pround of it Cool Cool Cool

Im far from a perfectionist and like to get things right but i just dont get the collectors who for example say with 68 patt smocks want 1 of every size made,every different maker then of every slight variation in as said zips,button colour,thread colour,dots etc it just amazes me Shocked Shocked

Again regarding 75 model,probably came out in 1975 the type without the 1968 pattern designation/label but again not an official term Wink Wink
    Easy Gee
    Easy Gee
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post by Easy Gee Sun Sep 25, 2011 12:36 pm

A cynic and pround of it Cool Cool Cool

Im far from a perfectionist and like to get things right but i just dont get the collectors who for example say with 68 patt smocks want 1 of every size made,every different maker then of every slight variation in as said zips,button colour,thread colour,dots etc it just amazes me Shocked Shocked

Again regarding 75 model,probably came out in 1975 the type without the 1968 pattern designation/label but again not an official term Wink Wink [/quote

Rich, I relate. Laughing

I definately do not not relate to wanting one in every size etc..I think people like this need help affraid

I understand that 75 was another one of those re-issue dates..like I said I have a few with no 68 pattern labels...and as far as I know these were issued in 70's Wink

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:15 pm