IACMC MILITARIA FORUM

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

4 posters

Sorting out P85 and P90 differences

CollectinSteve
    CollectinSteve
    ADMIN
    ADMIN

Registration date : 2009-03-08
    Number of posts : 6888

Sorting out P85 and P90 differences Empty Sorting out P85 and P90 differences

Post by CollectinSteve Sat Oct 15, 2011 8:53 pm

In this thread we discussed the differences between various cuts of British issued DPM jackets. There's some confusion about what is what. Rereading the thread now I don't think I'm quite clear on what the differences are between P85 and P90! Note, there is a website referenced in the thread that incorrectly shows and describes a P94 jacket as P90.

So what are the differences between the P85 and P90? Anybody have pictures of each they can post? I've checked a half dozen jackets I have and they all appear to be identical to each other.

Thanks!

Steve
    Dobbo12

Registration date : 2011-10-15
    Number of posts : 4

Sorting out P85 and P90 differences Empty Re: Sorting out P85 and P90 differences

Post by Dobbo12 Sun Oct 16, 2011 7:35 pm

Mate, in short they were s***!

I joined in 1993 and can give the following guidance.

Smock with metal zip = 66/68 pattern
    smock with pockets that have unsewn edges with triangular bellows type = 85pattern
    smock with boxed but unsecured pocket edge type = 88 pattern
    smock with 'no loss' pocket (ie folded over edges)= 90 pattern
    if you have any handy this hopefully will make sense!
    Theyy were however pretty crap tbh!

the 90 jacket as often called was introduced, if you want an earlier version ten you are looking for onewit a 'jaundice' orangy tint to t, later versions were in similar colours to CS95.

CS 95 has gone through 3 versions with slight differances but general the latest is the best version to date!

hope that helps!
    Duncan McLain
    Duncan McLain
    Sergeant
    Sergeant

Registration date : 2011-09-13
    Number of posts : 201

Sorting out P85 and P90 differences Empty Re: Sorting out P85 and P90 differences

Post by Duncan McLain Mon Oct 17, 2011 5:45 am

Official DPM smocks code name system in Poland:

60pattern Smocks with "no brush" DPM
    63 - 68pattern Smocks with DPM with brushes, green lining inside, darkness egdes on green patches
    77pattern - parachute smocks
    84/85 pattern Smocks with white inside, but:
    version early - "horn pocket"
    version middle - "puff pocket"
    version late - "folded over edges pocket" (like 94Pattern or 95 Soldier)
    94 pattern or "temperate" Smocks with green inside, express zip pockets and shoulders rank slide
    95 Soldier Smocks with rip - stop (windproof and jacket), express zip pockets and front rank slide (there is new code name system not "pattern" but "soldier" or "combat soldier")
    2000 Soldier the same smocks no rip - stop (only jackets)
    2005 Soldier The same smocks with hood (windproof)

bravo_2_zero
    bravo_2_zero
    Senior Lieutenant
    Senior Lieutenant

Registration date : 2009-04-16
    Number of posts : 812

Post by bravo_2_zero Wed Oct 26, 2011 6:59 pm

The 94 stuff was also printed on different cloth depending on seasonal colour pallet. the yellow stuff tended to be a thinner cloth.
    There was 3-4 different prints ,

1960's style print with very light yellow colours, light print
    1980's style print with regular colours, vivid print
    1990's style print with deep green and dark browns, dark print

I do believe the army intended a German style SS autum,winter and summer style camo. The sets were issued to us anyways as mix and match, yellow camo bottoms with a brown based jacket ect. whiched looked awful. I went to the nearest surplus store and bought a matched set.
    CollectinSteve
    CollectinSteve
    ADMIN
    ADMIN

Registration date : 2009-03-08
    Number of posts : 6888

Post by CollectinSteve Fri Oct 28, 2011 12:53 am

Thanks for the continuing education! I checked through a pile and found at least three different types. I haven't had time to figure out which ones are which, but the above info should make that a piece of piss Very Happy

Steve

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:42 am