Another BGS Jacket-Mint.

Gulf91
    Colonel
    Colonel

Registration date : 2011-05-13
    Number of posts : 3814

Another BGS Jacket-Mint.

Post by Gulf91 on Fri Feb 17, 2012 8:20 am

If it wasnt for the stitched in name tag label i would describe this as unissued.

Evidence of shield but no arc.

loski
    Senior Lieutenant
    Senior Lieutenant

Name : Graham
    Registration date : 2010-08-11
    Number of posts : 849

Re: Another BGS Jacket-Mint.

Post by loski on Fri Feb 17, 2012 10:27 am

That is a brillant find lucky bugger
    Albano
    Sergeant
    Sergeant

Registration date : 2011-12-02
    Number of posts : 236

Post by Albano on Fri Feb 17, 2012 11:31 am

loski wrote: That is a brillant find lucky bugger

Couldn't say it better. Where do you get that "precious" Gulf91!?

Best regards

Gulf91
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post by Gulf91 on Fri Feb 17, 2012 11:34 am

Thanks Guys and believe me i am not half as lucky as some on here regarding finds or bargains Razz
    CollectinSteve
    ADMIN
    ADMIN

Registration date : 2009-03-08
    Number of posts : 5915

Post by CollectinSteve on Fri Feb 17, 2012 1:27 pm

Definitely one of the best ones out there. Arm pocket intact, no cuts down the back. Heck, even the shoulder buttons are still on! Belt hangers are missing, however that's usual and they can be found on eBay pretty easily (even if they are the reproductions for WW2 jackets). Badging is pretty easily found as well. Getting the badging sewn on correctly, however, is something I've never found to be fun. But there has to be some downside to this, right? Very Happy

Just a note... I've probably had close to two dozen of these jackets, several of which were probably unissued. While this one is certainly in far, far better than average condition, I can see signs of it having been washed and worn. When you hold something like this next to an unissued one you'd see that there's a subtle "splotchy" look to the colors of this one. Although the colors hold up real well to use, they do tend to have a slightly uneven lightening after wash and wear. There's also paint missing from the arm flap snaps, which is another place to immediately check when assessing overall use (the paint is very good on this one).

Not that it detracts from this one at all, since it's a hard one to top. Especially since even unissued ones were usually cut up.

Steve

Gulf91
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post by Gulf91 on Fri Feb 17, 2012 1:32 pm

Thanks Steve for the kind words Very Happy

Sure i have a set of repro WW2 belt hooks somewhere to replace the missing ones.

This and the other incomplete one i have will probably end up on Ebay as i have 1 keeper.
    Albano
    Sergeant
    Sergeant

Registration date : 2011-12-02
    Number of posts : 236

Post by Albano on Fri Feb 17, 2012 2:44 pm

Gulf91 wrote:Thanks Steve for the kind words Very Happy

Sure i have a set of repro WW2 belt hooks somewhere to replace the missing ones.

This and the other incomplete one i have will probably end up on Ebay as i have 1 keeper.

Talk to me first when you decide to get rid off it Gulf91. I'll give it a good home to rest Wink

Best regards

Tyler Flint
    Sergeant
    Sergeant

Name : Username is the same hahahaha
    Registration date : 2011-11-14
    Number of posts : 296

Post by Tyler Flint on Fri Feb 17, 2012 11:42 pm

Beautiful piece.

Gulf91
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post by Gulf91 on Fri Apr 27, 2012 12:02 pm

Just thought id let any interested parties know that this will be going on Ebay Sunday-dont like Ebay due to the fees and non paying,timewasting tossers so if anyone is interested please feel free to make me an offer.Would rather cash but MIGHT possibly be interested in trades.

Thanks
    panzerwerk
    Colonel
    Colonel

Name : Steve Hoeger
    Registration date : 2009-02-16
    Number of posts : 3068

Post by panzerwerk on Fri Apr 27, 2012 12:22 pm

Great Jacket , so hard to find these in such great condition , Congrats !
    saltefanden
    Lieutenant
    Lieutenant

Registration date : 2010-12-23
    Number of posts : 731

Post by saltefanden on Fri Apr 27, 2012 2:43 pm

Gentlemen, meet the boys!

I promise to post more images of some of the individual jackets shortly, but they are all mint (no de-milling signs), all have their D-rings, waistbands and left-arm pocket flaps. I'm not a 100% sure the badges have not been sewn back on for show, but the are at least period and attached with great care.

The pattern and the fact of holding an attractive, high quality and mint jacket, even older than myself, was a huge step in me catching the camo-collectors bug, and I love them still to this day!
    saltefanden
    Lieutenant
    Lieutenant

Post by saltefanden on Fri Apr 27, 2012 2:49 pm

BGS parka with lining and shoulder insignia:

saltefanden
    Lieutenant
    Lieutenant

Post by saltefanden on Fri Apr 27, 2012 2:56 pm

And a shorter jacket:

Philip
    ADMIN MODERATOR
    ADMIN MODERATOR

Registration date : 2009-02-17
    Number of posts : 3021

Post by Philip on Fri Apr 27, 2012 3:27 pm

saltefanden wrote:

I want to see more of your (entire) collection! Smile

CollectinSteve
    ADMIN
    ADMIN

Post by CollectinSteve on Fri Apr 27, 2012 7:18 pm

Nice batch of BGS stuff! It's good to see the subtle color variations next to each other like that.

All your jackets are what I call 3rd Model. The ones with the arm badge on cloth background are probably older (1967-1970) and had the BUNDESGRENZSCHUTZ arcs added later (after 1971). Sometimes these are nicely dated, other times not. So you might already know this Wink

The 1967 made parka has some slight differences from the later ones, but the differences are very subtle.

I think in our next trade I should send you some arm badges and ranks Smile

Steve
    saltefanden
    Lieutenant
    Lieutenant

Post by saltefanden on Sat Apr 28, 2012 5:12 am

Sorry Gulf91, for hijacking your thread like this!

But if you are going to puy your jacket up on eBay, make sure to be visible on 'worldwide' so German collectors can have a go at it!

I fought tooth and nail for every one of my pieces, and German buyers are willing to shell really good money after their vintage, native stuff
    - I guess like the French go crazy for all their older patterns; never bid against a Frenchman on TAP pieces, you will loose!

And Philip, like a good burlesque dancer, I will reveal my collection one piece at a time Very Happy

And thanks for the info Steve, in fact I think all of the badges have been added to create a better sale, as none of the arcs and eagle badges are of the same 'vintage'. And I have a bag full of more badges, but if you have a chart or an overview of the different 'vintages', that would be great!

Gulf91
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post by Gulf91 on Sun Apr 29, 2012 8:58 am

To save the malarkey of bidders etc i might put it up as a Buy It Now-any ideas please what would be a reasonable price for me to list at?
    saltefanden
    Lieutenant
    Lieutenant

Post by saltefanden on Sun Apr 29, 2012 12:03 pm

Well, I can't predict with certainty what it would go for, but I bought all my pieces for around 130-150 EUR, and that was two years ago.

You may get more out of a trade on this very forum. Good luck anyhoo, it's a really great jacket and should go to a good home where it will be loved and appreciated! Wink

Gulf91
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post by Gulf91 on Sun Apr 29, 2012 12:06 pm

saltefanden wrote:Well, I can't predict with certainty what it would go for, but I bought all my pieces for around 130-150 EUR, and that was two years ago.

You may get more out of a trade on this very forum. Good luck anyhoo, it's a really great jacket and should go to a good home where it will be loved and appreciated! Wink

Thanks.

To be honest Ebay is a last resort and would much rather it go on here but dont have much luck with selling stuff on here Sad Sad
    CollectinSteve
    ADMIN
    ADMIN

Post by CollectinSteve on Sun Apr 29, 2012 1:51 pm

Then we need to trade Smile I have a very nice, complete jacket with all badging and rank. PM me and we can talk more.

If you watch and wait you can get a jacket, without badges, buttons, and rank, for around EUR 50. Sometimes in very good condition. It seems in the last year or so the demand has gone back down and the supply back up. I don't understand why, but for Sumpftarn items it's gone up and down, up and down several times in the last 10 years. At least for the 3rd Model stuff. The older types have prices that only go up.

saltefanden,

The BGS have many different types of arcs. They are, however, all manufactured using the same process. This means the ones from 2000s look identical to the ones from 1970s. The best thing to do is get a huge pile of them and hope you have a variety, then just match the stitch holes of the original jacket to a badge in your pile. That's what I do Very Happy

Similar with the arm badges, with an exception. The arm badges made prior to 1970 look very different. They come in basically three forms:

1. Green felt background (used for the wool uniforms)
    2. Gray/green HBT background (used for field jackets, camo and non-camo)
    3. Sumpftarn background (obviously camouflage field jackets only)

So the eagle badges on your are possibly correct, but not as likely if the jacket was made after 1970. After 1970 the badges are the same construction as the ones all the way through 2000s. Again, sizes varied over time and intended use (shirts, jackets, coats, etc.).

You should be able to see the original stitch holes and that will tell you more than I ever could Wink

Steve
    Camo_fiend

Name : Ben
    Registration date : 2009-07-22
    Number of posts : 2673

Post by Camo_fiend on Sun Apr 29, 2012 2:52 pm

Holy crap! I missed out on a BGS jacket last year, and haven't seen any since... and now I know why -- they're all in Ronny's closet! Laughing

Lots of nice examples of this pattern here. It's good to see some that managed to escape the brutal German de-mil process.

See my collection online: http://benscamo.webs.com/

Gulf91
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post by Gulf91 on Fri May 04, 2012 5:28 am

As i have been jerked about on Ebay by a US buyer who bid,won but didnt pay for a sleeping bag i had on there i have put the jacket in the for sale section here to try,Thanks
    Bury_Dave
    Senior Lieutenant
    Senior Lieutenant

Name : Dave
    Registration date : 2012-02-14
    Number of posts : 822

Post by Bury_Dave on Fri May 04, 2012 8:32 am

Gulf91 wrote:As i have been jerked about on Ebay by a US buyer who bid,won but didnt pay for a sleeping bag i had on there i have put the jacket in the for sale section here to try,Thanks

You've only been jerked about by one buyer on ebay ?!!! In my over 4000 transactions (60/40 sell/buy) I have been mucked about a couple of dowzne times - though more by sellers . Buyers just buy and don't bother to leave feedback normally but i've had a few come up with buyer's remorse and fabricate all sorts of stooopid reasons for not completing the sale. Ebay is a necessary evil in the world ....... and much easier and quicker to deal with than the old Manions auction house !

Dave

Gulf91
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post by Gulf91 on Fri May 04, 2012 8:35 am

Bury_Dave wrote:
    Gulf91 wrote:As i have been jerked about on Ebay by a US buyer who bid,won but didnt pay for a sleeping bag i had on there i have put the jacket in the for sale section here to try,Thanks

You've only been jerked about by one buyer on ebay ?!!! In my over 4000 transactions (60/40 sell/buy) I have been mucked about a couple of dowzne times - though more by sellers . Buyers just buy and don't bother to leave feedback normally but i've had a few come up with buyer's remorse and fabricate all sorts of stooopid reasons for not completing the sale. Ebay is a necessary evil in the world ....... and much easier and quicker to deal with than the old Manions auction house !

Dave

I guess i have been lucky Dave and to be honest use Ebay as a last resort to sell,yes you get the International bidders but Ebay and Paypoo fees are high and too many timewasters,auction wreckers etc for my liking these days.

You got any items there at present worth checking out?

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Oct 19, 2017 11:17 am