FobanX
    Corporal
    Corporal

Registration date : 2012-03-10
    Number of posts : 42

Spanish amoeba camo uniform

Post by FobanX on Sun Mar 11, 2012 12:52 am

Hello.

Last year, I got spanish amoeba camo uniform.

I think this is nice camo pattern and great condition.

But, this pattern differs from other M76...

CollectinSteve
    ADMIN
    ADMIN

Registration date : 2009-03-08
    Number of posts : 5567

Re: Spanish amoeba camo uniform

Post by CollectinSteve on Sun Mar 11, 2012 1:01 am

Very nice one!

There are three versions of this uniform:

M68 - no arm pocket, 8 pockets on trousers
    M76 - arm pocket, 6 pockets on trousers
    Fake - recent copy that is a mix of the two types. Look for velcro over both pockets, this is the first clue.

Steve

Solideo
    Junior Sergeant
    Junior Sergeant

Name : Juan J. Morales
    Registration date : 2009-02-13
    Number of posts : 160

Post by Solideo on Sun Mar 11, 2012 6:11 am

Like Steve said there are different versions, I have at least (think to remember) even 7 variations of that camo pattern used in Legion with variations like variations in bottom enforcements, in elbows, type of buttoms, pockets, etc.

Important to know that there are copies of coe models in green woodland and rocky ones. Even fakes in rocky Legion one using original or new shoulder straps embroided.

It´s more than necesary to know all details before buying one of this models at this moment. Recently somebody bought in ebay USA one of this fakes (which is not bad) with original one price (which is the very worst).

Just see post by alltoursnatives in this SPAIN forum http://mundomilitaria.es/foro/index.php/topic,6363.msg66201.html#msg66201

Best

alltoursnatives
    Corporal
    Corporal

Registration date : 2009-02-16
    Number of posts : 57

Post by alltoursnatives on Mon Mar 12, 2012 7:06 pm

Dear Sir
    Unfortunatelly this set (sold in ebay -see link- is a reproduction. I wrote to the seller and I included some post in differents forums (included this one). I have some of this sets -reproductions- and they are the same (just with the velcros removed). even when is a nice reproduction we must be ABSOLUTELLY SURE if we buy this patterns because there are a few of them availables in open market as original, so take care!!

http://www.ebay.es/itm/Rare-UNIFORM-Spanish-Legion-M76-Rocoso-Amoeba-Leibermuster-Rocks-1970s-Camo-/320786563719?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4ab05e8287

All the best
    Santiago Medina

CollectinSteve
    ADMIN
    ADMIN

Post by CollectinSteve on Tue Mar 13, 2012 1:02 pm

Santiago knows what he is talking about! I think Santiago's eyes are better than mine Very Happy I know what to look for, but the pictures aren't close enough to see the details.

Here is my own list of quick things to check. This should at least give reason to be suspicious. If you see all of them... I bet it's a reproduction. You can see these even when details are not shown well:

1. Brand new -> that right there should be enough to question it. I have seen real sets (I have one!) in brand new condition, but VERY rarely.

2. Jacket has no arm pocket on left sleeve, trousers have lower leg pockets -> this is not the correct combination, but of course real items can be mixed together.

3. Large velcro patches over each chest pocket -> sometimes soldiers added these themselves, but not to this uniform as far as I have seen. So it is possible, but very unlikely.

Maybe Santiago can point out a few other things that can be seen from non-detailed photos.

This is the first used condition set I've seen for sale. It is interesting to see the cloth fades similar to real uniforms.

Steve

alltoursnatives
    Corporal
    Corporal

Registration date : 2009-02-16
    Number of posts : 57

Post by alltoursnatives on Tue Mar 13, 2012 3:04 pm

Hi Steve, thanks for your kinds words. I dedicated a lot of time compared spanish patterns as well as check differents variants. The reproductions have some details that determinate if is original or copy, specially the spanish flag on left arm. they come in a wrong place and more important come embroidered when the original (just present in the legionario pattern M-76 second variant) is very similar to a silk flag. The buttoms are also different but is not easy to see. the density of the camouflage pattern are different. there are a few other aspect but they are no to evidents on a picture.
    best regards
    Santiago Medina

ripcord
    Major
    Major

Registration date : 2012-12-29
    Number of posts : 1493

Post by ripcord on Sat Jan 19, 2013 3:00 am

I have a Legion second pattern M76 Shirt.
    It has no shoulder pocket and has the embroidery on the shoulder straps.
    I know this is not a copy because I know where this shirt has been for the last
    28 years...I dont think copies of this pattern were made back then.
    They were still an issue item then...
    ripcord

ripcord
    Major
    Major

Amoeba M 76

Post by ripcord on Sat Feb 09, 2013 2:37 pm

Here it is..

rip...

ripcord
    Major
    Major

M76

Post by ripcord on Sat Feb 09, 2013 2:39 pm

embroidery

Base one
    Sergeant
    Sergeant

Name : tonton Abilgos
    Registration date : 2012-05-10
    Number of posts : 281

Post by Base one on Sun May 05, 2013 11:45 pm

ripcord wrote:Here it is..

rip...
    its look like the swiss Alpenflage but in a different coloration.Smile

jimmyduncan23
    Major
    Major

Registration date : 2011-07-29
    Number of posts : 1017

Post by jimmyduncan23 on Mon Nov 18, 2013 6:20 am

ripcord
    Major
    Major

Post by ripcord on Mon Nov 18, 2013 7:30 pm

Hey Jimmy,

A  beautiful and scarce early M61 ( aluminum zippers with leather pull ).

Always nice to see one of these great Spanish uniforms.

Good on ya for posting.

Rip....

jimmyduncan23
    Major
    Major

Registration date : 2011-07-29
    Number of posts : 1017

Post by jimmyduncan23 on Tue Nov 19, 2013 2:00 am

sorry for the quality, my camera went bust and my iphone one is scratched, but it is a beautiful set

CollectinSteve
    ADMIN
    ADMIN

Post by CollectinSteve on Tue Nov 19, 2013 2:35 am

Believe me, the beauty comes through loud and clear Very Happy

BTW, notice the snaps on the arms. Those are for unit badges (with rank). A pair of those is excellent condition could be worth more than either the jacket or trousers. Possibly more than both! I'm serious. I've only seen a poor condition single one offered in all the years I've been looking. And because they are so rare, and mirrored left/right, one is not going to cut it.

Steve

koalorka
    Lieutenant Colonel
    Lieutenant Colonel

Registration date : 2010-05-22
    Number of posts : 1628

Post by koalorka on Tue Nov 19, 2013 2:09 pm

That's quite the catch in that of condition. How did you swing that?

ripcord
    Major
    Major

Post by ripcord on Thu Feb 11, 2016 1:36 am

CollectinSteve wrote:Believe me, the beauty comes through loud and clear Very Happy

BTW, notice the snaps on the arms.  Those are for unit badges (with rank).  A pair of those is excellent condition could be worth more than either the jacket or trousers.  Possibly more than both!  I'm serious.  I've only seen a poor condition single one offered in all the years I've been looking.  And because they are so rare, and mirrored left/right, one is not going to cut it.

Steve

Steve is correct when he says unit badges were worn on the arms of the smocks..

But...the snaps in question here are not sown onto the arms; they are sown  onto the inside of the M61 uniform..

Specifically into  the inner shoulder area where cloth triangular padding  snap into place to dampen the weight and  stress of packs and  slinged   rifles .

Notice that one set of padding uses male snaps, while  the other set  uses female snaps..  I observed that my early green dominant M61 uses male snaps sown onto the padding triangle, and female snaps sown into the uniform  while my later brown dominant uniforms use the opposite..

S

CollectinSteve
    ADMIN
    ADMIN

Post by CollectinSteve on Thu Feb 11, 2016 2:41 pm

Nice closeups of the shoulder pads!  I find that they are often missing.

The snaps I was referring to are best seen in this picture (just above the arm pockets):

I've seen two different types of snaps over the years.  One is the small type, like shown with the shoulder pads, the other is a similar type of snap but much bigger.

Steve

ripcord
    Major
    Major

Post by ripcord on Thu Feb 11, 2016 4:34 pm

Have seen both large and small snaps as well.    Two different methods were used on this M61.

Evident are  remnants of  khaki thread  used to secure small metal snaps in the 4 corners, as well as evidence of direct sewing of insignia onto sleeve with white thread.
    A small bit of plastic insignia remains attached to bottom right corner..

Also notice the thread used to secure para wing , or " rokiski ".

S

CollectinSteve
    ADMIN
    ADMIN

Post by CollectinSteve on Fri Feb 12, 2016 1:09 am

Heh... the jackets I've had over the years seemed to always have either snaps or the threads. I love evidence trails Wink

Finding pictures of the arm badges that are worth a darn is very difficult. I've only seen one original one for sale and it was in very poor condition with a massive pricetag, so I passed.

Steve

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content Today at 12:40 pm

Current date/time is Sat Dec 03, 2016 12:40 pm