IACMC MILITARIA FORUM

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

5 posters

French F1 Helmet (French: 3e Régiment étranger d'infanterie.)

loski
    loski
    Captain
    Captain

Name : Graham
    Registration date : 2010-08-11
    Number of posts : 919

French F1 Helmet (French: 3e Régiment étranger d'infanterie.) - Page 2 Empty Re: French F1 Helmet (French: 3e Régiment étranger d'infanterie.)

Post by loski Thu Apr 12, 2012 6:14 pm

Hi Gary I have done some reserch the triangle coulor donates the company and the number donates the platoon I have found a picture of paras the 2eREP riging up for the Kolwezi jump on 19 May 1978 if you look at the emlarged rucksack you will see the same symbol, so your helmet could have came from the REP

French F1 Helmet (French: 3e Régiment étranger d'infanterie.) - Page 2 Legion1
    French F1 Helmet (French: 3e Régiment étranger d'infanterie.) - Page 2 Legion1-1
    Easy Gee
    Easy Gee
    Colonel
    Colonel

Name : Gary
    Registration date : 2010-06-12
    Number of posts : 3591

French F1 Helmet (French: 3e Régiment étranger d'infanterie.) - Page 2 Empty Re: French F1 Helmet (French: 3e Régiment étranger d'infanterie.)

Post by Easy Gee Fri Apr 13, 2012 2:34 pm

jaycee wrote:the only reason i asked about the gulf war is becauce of this picture they look remarkably similar to your lid ,what do you think gary a close match cheers james French F1 Helmet (French: 3e Régiment étranger d'infanterie.) - Page 2 2784215

James I am liking this picture a lot Mate, fantastic period picture, from GW1.

I do see why you queried mine now, I am aware legion troops were very much on the ground ( or should that be sand!!) during Op Daguet,but I always assumed they were issued with the 3 tone "Daguet " cover, not the Sateen O.G version, many thanks for posting this pix, you've made my day James. Very Happy
    Easy Gee
    Easy Gee
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post by Easy Gee Fri Apr 13, 2012 2:42 pm

Gulf91 wrote:Come off it now guys,stop all this as i NEED one of those covers myself Very Happy

Sort of on the same subject,well F1s anyway.

Everyone has seen and probably has one of those SALADE covers in their collections but i have just been told by someone that there were indeed 3 slightly different versions issued-anyone got any info regarding this as being the obsessive that i am ,will now have to dig mine out and check the dammn things!!!!!(also,the Aussies issued/used a very similar type with their M1s for Vietnam and after).

Your right Rich, there are different versions, wasn't aware there were 3 specifically, The First issue Salade netting cover was use on the M51 Otan. There is not a great deal of info out there regarding Salade covers. Could be the start of my next research project......
    Easy Gee
    Easy Gee
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post by Easy Gee Fri Apr 13, 2012 2:45 pm

loski wrote:Hi Gary I have done some reserch the triangle coulor donates the company and the number donates the platoon I have found a picture of paras the 2eREP riging up for the Kolwezi jump on 19 May 1978 if you look at the emlarged rucksack you will see the same symbol, so your helmet could have came from the REP

French F1 Helmet (French: 3e Régiment étranger d'infanterie.) - Page 2 Legion1
    French F1 Helmet (French: 3e Régiment étranger d'infanterie.) - Page 2 Legion1-1

Many thanks for taking the time out to look into this Graham,this is a very interesting aspect of F1 history I've not delved too deeply into, but I will now, thanks again , I appreciate your support Mate Very Happy

loski
    loski
    Captain
    Captain

Post by loski Fri Apr 13, 2012 3:33 pm

Hi Gary
    I Spoke to a guy I know who is an exlegionnaire and showed a picture of your F1 he told me adout the markings.

Post by Guest Fri Apr 13, 2012 5:12 pm

glad to be of service gary ,i thought you might like it
    Gulf91
    Colonel
    Colonel

Registration date : 2011-05-13
    Number of posts : 3858

Post by Gulf91 Fri Apr 13, 2012 5:20 pm

Easy Gee wrote:
    Gulf91 wrote:Come off it now guys,stop all this as i NEED one of those covers myself Very Happy

Sort of on the same subject,well F1s anyway.

Everyone has seen and probably has one of those SALADE covers in their collections but i have just been told by someone that there were indeed 3 slightly different versions issued-anyone got any info regarding this as being the obsessive that i am ,will now have to dig mine out and check the dammn things!!!!!(also,the Aussies issued/used a very similar type with their M1s for Vietnam and after).

Your right Rich, there are different versions, wasn't aware there were 3 specifically, The First issue Salade netting cover was use on the M51 Otan. There is not a great deal of info out there regarding Salade covers. Could be the start of my next research project......

Yep,pretty sure i found the info/pics etc on some website but cannot find it again now im afraid.
    Easy Gee
    Easy Gee
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post by Easy Gee Sat Apr 14, 2012 6:18 am

loski wrote:Hi Gary
    I Spoke to a guy I know who is an ex legionnaire and showed a picture of your F1 he told me adout the markings.

Hi Graham.

That's the best source of info with out doubt ,to be honest I never realised that the markings colour and triangle had that much detailed meaning. I keen to learn more/collect kit on the legionnaire's in Kolwezi, specifically 2 Rep, I shall be trawling through ebay now for goodies.

Thanks again for your input, much appreciated Graham Very Happy
    Easy Gee
    Easy Gee
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post by Easy Gee Sat Apr 14, 2012 6:19 am

jaycee wrote:glad to be of service gary ,i thought you might like it

No worries James, if you need any detailed info in the future PM me, I will be glad to help Wink
    Easy Gee
    Easy Gee
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post by Easy Gee Sat Apr 14, 2012 6:22 am

Yep,pretty sure i found the info/pics etc on some website but cannot find it again now im afraid.[/quote]

Yeah Mate, I relate, I have come across some juicy info over the years and then foolishly not made a note of where I found it.

I know I guy who lives in my city, who flog's French gear on ebay. If I can get hold of him I will ask him if he has any info regarding the Salade evolution. Wink
    filupe
    filupe

Registration date : 2009-02-16
    Number of posts : 1082

Post by filupe Sat Apr 14, 2012 1:13 pm

loski wrote:Hi Gary I have done some reserch the triangle coulor donates the company and the number donates the platoon

Presuming you got info from Osprey's Elite edition on French Foreign Legion Paratroops, unfortunately, it doesn't specify whether this marking system is particular to 2e REP or Foreign Legion exclusive or prevalent throughout the French Army. A couple of the colour plates from this reference also feature the triangle on helmets.

Re the Australian 'salade' - yes, it is very similar but from memory the aussie ones are rubberised material with OD on one side and matt dark earth on the other. I suspect they come from Barracuda in Sweden and were post Vietnam worn.
    Gulf91
    Colonel
    Colonel

Registration date : 2011-05-13
    Number of posts : 3858

Post by Gulf91 Sat Apr 14, 2012 1:22 pm

were post Vietnam worn

Again,probably will never find them but did have pics of the salade type cover being worn in Vietnam.
    loski
    loski
    Captain
    Captain

Post by loski Sat Apr 14, 2012 10:24 pm

filupe wrote:
    loski wrote:Hi Gary I have done some reserch the triangle coulor donates the company and the number donates the platoon

Presuming you got info from Osprey's Elite edition on French Foreign Legion Paratroops, unfortunately, it doesn't specify whether this marking system is particular to 2e REP or Foreign Legion exclusive or prevalent throughout the French Army. A couple of the colour plates from this reference also feature the triangle on helmets.

Re the Australian 'salade' - yes, it is very similar but from memory the aussie ones are rubberised material with OD on one side and matt dark earth on the other. I suspect they come from Barracuda in Sweden and were post Vietnam worn.

Hi filupe

Yes I picked the Picture up from the osprey editon on legion paras as it was the only picture I could find as an example the guy said the markings were used through the legion and he said that in all of the legion the coulor of the triangle is matched by a scarf of the same colour worn around the right sholder but he did not know about the rest of the french army and I did say that Garys helmet could have come from the REP
    Easy Gee
    Easy Gee
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post by Easy Gee Thu Apr 19, 2012 4:14 pm

Again thanks for all your input fella's, to my knowledge the Triangle is a Legion thing, I am aware the different branches of the French Army wear a coloured silk scarf to denote their branch ( Don't know from memory which colour relates to what unit though).

I seem too remember the scarf wrapped through the epaulette signified something, but again can't recall what is now ...mid forties memory problems don't mix well with collecting stuff eh!!

There's only one thing for me ...buy some related books Wink
    loski
    loski
    Captain
    Captain

Post by loski Thu Apr 19, 2012 4:41 pm

Hi Gary
    Acording to my info the coulor of the scarf / Triangle relates to the company and the numeral relates to the platoon
    Easy Gee
    Easy Gee
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post by Easy Gee Fri Apr 20, 2012 5:49 am

Acording to my info the coulor of the scarf / Triangle relates to the company and the numeral relates to the platoon

Again Graham excellent info, this does also make sense as a good way to identify company and platoon in the field,thanks again for your input Very Happy
    loski
    loski
    Captain
    Captain

Post by loski Fri Apr 20, 2012 10:37 am

Easy Gee wrote:

Again Graham excellent info, this does also make sense as a good way to identify company and platoon in the field,thanks again for your input Very Happy
    No probs it makes sense

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:31 am