IACMC MILITARIA FORUM

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

5 posters

Para smock or sniper smock - ever made in olive green ?

L1A1
    Corporal
    Corporal

Registration date : 2012-04-05
    Number of posts : 52

Para smock or sniper smock - ever made in olive green ? Empty Para smock or sniper smock - ever made in olive green ?

Post by L1A1 Sun Apr 08, 2012 5:42 pm

Have any of you guys ever come across a UK sniper smock or UK para smock in olive green ?
    Bury_Dave
    Bury_Dave
    Senior Lieutenant
    Senior Lieutenant

Name : Dave
    Registration date : 2012-02-14
    Number of posts : 822

Para smock or sniper smock - ever made in olive green ? Empty Re: Para smock or sniper smock - ever made in olive green ?

Post by Bury_Dave Mon Apr 09, 2012 3:44 am

Nope, never.

As there exists an olive green '68 pattern smock which probably a very limited run made from the 1960 pattern sateen cloth that was likely a layout mock up rather than something that was issued to , there is the possibility that one (literally) exists. But I doubt it. Certainly not an issue garment. Snipers need camouflage. Prior to DPM, denison smocks were issued.

Dave
    L1A1
    Corporal
    Corporal

Para smock or sniper smock - ever made in olive green ? Empty Re: Para smock or sniper smock - ever made in olive green ?

Post by L1A1 Mon Apr 09, 2012 6:40 am

Bury_Dave wrote:Nope, never.

As there exists an olive green '68 pattern smock which probably a very limited run made from the 1960 pattern sateen cloth that was likely a layout mock up rather than something that was issued to , there is the possibility that one (literally) exists. But I doubt it. Certainly not an issue garment. Snipers need camouflage. Prior to DPM, denison smocks were issued.

Dave

Pretty much what I figured.

But recently I was on a firing range and noticed a guy in the distance wearing either a para smock or a sniper smock in green - he was gone before I finished my shoot and wandered over.

I guess there is always the possibility that it was a faded one subsequently dyed green ?
    fourtycoats
    fourtycoats
    Sergeant Major
    Sergeant Major

Registration date : 2010-01-13
    Number of posts : 445

Post by fourtycoats Mon Apr 09, 2012 8:25 am

Here is a nice olive green sniper suit displaying influences from 3 countries

[img]Para smock or sniper smock - ever made in olive green ? Img_1611[/img][img]Para smock or sniper smock - ever made in olive green ? Img_1614[/img]
    kammo-man
    Major
    Major

Registration date : 2010-02-02
    Number of posts : 1086

Post by kammo-man Mon Apr 09, 2012 11:43 am

thats a cool wee jacket .

owen
    L1A1
    Corporal
    Corporal

Post by L1A1 Mon Apr 09, 2012 2:52 pm

fourtycoats wrote:Here is a nice olive green sniper suit displaying influences from 3 countries

[img]Para smock or sniper smock - ever made in olive green ? Img_1611[/img][img]Para smock or sniper smock - ever made in olive green ? Img_1614[/img]

Wow - I love it !!

Where did you get it ? What country does it originate from ?
    Bury_Dave
    Bury_Dave
    Senior Lieutenant
    Senior Lieutenant

Post by Bury_Dave Mon Apr 09, 2012 2:57 pm

That's an interesting looking smock. So, c'mon , give details ...... you can't just chuck a photo up and expect to get away with not giving the gen' on it ! Very Happy

Incidentally, the Aussies did issue an olive green 'Denison' para smock in the 60's & 70's .....

Dave
    fourtycoats
    fourtycoats
    Sergeant Major
    Sergeant Major

Para smock or sniper smock - ever made in olive green ? Empty The wonders of this forum

Post by fourtycoats Mon Apr 09, 2012 3:32 pm

A full description and more photos of this suit are shown here https://iacmc.forumotion.com/f142-sniperland , along with what the suit developed into. The suit is Canadian, the hat is Norwegian and the general's rank tab is Irish.
    Bury_Dave
    Bury_Dave
    Senior Lieutenant
    Senior Lieutenant

Post by Bury_Dave Mon Apr 09, 2012 3:59 pm

Thanks there Sean Smile

I have to say it doesn't look like a proper sniper smock to me. Too many pockets to snag on things, no camo foliage loops and very crappy sling loop and no butt pads or elbow pads to start with. The fabric also looks pretty thin and not durable enough to drag along the ground . Not being camo is also odd. Even allowing for the fact that you think it wasn't finished Sean. Perhaps it is a target shooting jacket rather than a sniper jacket ?

Dave
    fourtycoats
    fourtycoats
    Sergeant Major
    Sergeant Major

Post by fourtycoats Mon Apr 09, 2012 4:16 pm

The cammo loops were marked out in chalk but not sewn on. The little pockets are on the sleeves which makes sense if you access to small things in a shooting position.There are good elbow and knee pads, they just have not photographed well.The shooting sling was added by me. It is length adjustable using velcro which is a good idea and standard in UIT/NRA type slings and supports. The labels state prototype so it could have been built to test layout and design as opposed to durability. This could also explain the plain colour. If you follow the link you will see what it became in cammo which addresses your concerns. However, I finished it out to be just what you described, a very good target shooting jacket, acceptable on all ranges and very comfortable to use.
    bravo_2_zero
    bravo_2_zero
    Senior Lieutenant
    Senior Lieutenant

Registration date : 2009-04-16
    Number of posts : 812

Post by bravo_2_zero Mon Apr 09, 2012 4:19 pm

fourtycoats wrote:The cammo loops were marked out in chalk but not sewn on. The little pockets are on the sleeves which makes sense if you access to small things in a shooting position.There are good elbow and knee pads, they just have not photographed well.The shooting sling was added by me. It is length adjustable using velcro which is a good idea and standard in UIT/NRA type slings and supports. The labels state prototype so it could have been built to test layout and design as opposed to durability. This could also explain the plain colour. If you follow the link you will see what it became in cammo which addresses your concerns. However, I finished it out to be just what you described, a very good target shooting jacket, acceptable on all ranges and very comfortable to use.

The Americans do the same thing in Natick, they use slate grey to test design and features.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:53 am