IACMC MILITARIA FORUM

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

3 posters

1980 British MOD contract Desert pants Genuine

bravo_2_zero
    bravo_2_zero
    Senior Lieutenant
    Senior Lieutenant

Registration date : 2009-04-16
    Number of posts : 812

1980 British MOD contract Desert pants Genuine Empty 1980 British MOD contract Desert pants Genuine

Post by bravo_2_zero Thu Apr 16, 2009 12:00 pm

Hi, this is my 1980 Iraq contracted pants, size 36" waist despite being listed as small.

1980 British MOD contract Desert pants Genuine Im004219en1
    1980 British MOD contract Desert pants Genuine Im004220ol8
    1980 British MOD contract Desert pants Genuine Im004221uq2
    1980 British MOD contract Desert pants Genuine Im004222zf0

*NOTE the contract date of 1980*
    Camo_fiend
    Camo_fiend

Name : Ben
    Registration date : 2009-07-22
    Number of posts : 2705

1980 British MOD contract Desert pants Genuine Empty Re: 1980 British MOD contract Desert pants Genuine

Post by Camo_fiend Tue Dec 01, 2009 5:18 pm

Do you know where it would be possible to pick up one of these patterned smocks? The photo reference here is the only place on the web I have successfully been able to find information on Iraqi DPM.

Didn't the UK's desert DPM look alot like this until very briefly before Operation Granby?

See my collection online: http://benscamo.webs.com/
    CollectinSteve
    CollectinSteve
    ADMIN
    ADMIN

Registration date : 2009-03-08
    Number of posts : 6888

1980 British MOD contract Desert pants Genuine Empty Re: 1980 British MOD contract Desert pants Genuine

Post by CollectinSteve Wed Dec 02, 2009 2:26 am

As far as I know the UK version was identical to the Iraqi contract version. Note the design of the uniform is identical to the then current issue British tropical uniform, right down to the buttons.

I have a full set of jacket and trousers, but my tags have been sliced out. The only bit that remains is the very top of the labels saying it's Iraqi MOD contact. Nice to have a pic of what the label is supposed to look like! Thanks Bravo_2_zero!

Steve
    Camo_fiend
    Camo_fiend

Post by Camo_fiend Wed Dec 02, 2009 12:33 pm

WHERE did you find them?!? lol!
    Is it possible that some Brit units still had smocks in this pattern on-hand during the Gulf War in 1991?

In the BBC movie "Bravo Two Zero" a couple members of the SAS patrol are wearing smocks in this pattern. All the other kit in the movie appears to be spot-on...so would the use of these smocks have been possible, or was it just a prop department mistake?

1980 British MOD contract Desert pants Genuine Sas-soldiers
    Look at the guy in the bottom right corner.

1980 British MOD contract Desert pants Genuine MainImage
    I know his smock is dirty, but I can clearly make out more than two colours on it...

bravo_2_zero
    bravo_2_zero
    Senior Lieutenant
    Senior Lieutenant

Post by bravo_2_zero Wed Dec 02, 2009 1:33 pm

Repro'ish 4 colour DPM smocks were made by SASS in and around the time gulf was on. They also made 'Ghost' desert DPM after the 1st run of mass issue DDPM, i have one of these smocks.

I would guess the bravo 2 zero movie smocks were the SASS ones.
    Camo_fiend
    Camo_fiend

Post by Camo_fiend Wed Dec 02, 2009 4:19 pm

Can you please post some photos of your smock like this? I'd love to see some detail of this pattern.

bravo_2_zero
    bravo_2_zero
    Senior Lieutenant
    Senior Lieutenant

Post by bravo_2_zero Wed Dec 02, 2009 7:00 pm

Camo_fiend wrote:Can you please post some photos of your smock like this? I'd love to see some detail of this pattern.

https://iacmc.forumotion.com/great-britain-united-kingdom-f31/prototype-2-color-desert-dpm-shortsshirtpants-smock-t658.htm
    CollectinSteve
    CollectinSteve
    ADMIN
    ADMIN

Post by CollectinSteve Thu Dec 03, 2009 2:25 am

Nice pics Bravo 2 Zero! I have jacket, trousers, and frag vest cover in what I think of as "Sparse Desert DPM". It looks like your kit but without the subtle "ghost" affect underneath. I'm curious if you know when the one I have was issued.

Ben, I got my kit out of a very large collection. They were probably picked up in the early 1990s.

Cheers,

Steve
    bravo_2_zero
    bravo_2_zero
    Senior Lieutenant
    Senior Lieutenant

Post by bravo_2_zero Thu Dec 03, 2009 7:58 am

CollectinSteve wrote:Nice pics Bravo 2 Zero! I have jacket, trousers, and frag vest cover in what I think of as "Sparse Desert DPM". It looks like your kit but without the subtle "ghost" affect underneath. I'm curious if you know when the one I have was issued.

Ben, I got my kit out of a very large collection. They were probably picked up in the early 1990s.

Cheers,

Steve

the ghost stuff was just after the 4 colour DPM's the printers used 3 of the 4 colour DPM screen, this made the ghost effect as 2 of the screens printed desert pink.

The batch was a very early run and once found no good the cloth looks like it was sent to be made as frag vests, i've seen 100's of frag vests in ghost.
    The sparse DPM is like rocking horse poo now to buy, the odd bit shows up but in tiny sizes.

There was a ghost smock sold on eBay UK in the past month by SASS online which gave a more detailed and dated review of smock and print.
    CollectinSteve
    CollectinSteve
    ADMIN
    ADMIN

Post by CollectinSteve Fri Dec 04, 2009 1:42 am

You know, as soon as you said that thing about seeing 100s of frag vests in "ghost" I suddenly remembered... mine is like that! I just dug it out and double checked. And I also forgot that it has the inserts too, not just a cover. Thanks for making my night Very Happy

I've had two sparse shirts and one set of trousers. I got the shirt and the frag vest with a large purchase, then I saw a set of trousers and shirt on Spanish eBay. It was a tiny, bad picture that was just marked as "Uniforme camuflaje ARIDO INGLES usado airsoft" (I keep all eBay stuff Wink). I looked at it very, very hard and figured out that it was the sparse pattern, so I bid and won it for little money since nobody else wanted it. Shipping set me back a bit! I can't remember now if a boonie came with it or not. Memory tells me it did, but I can't say for sure now.

BTW, I've got some low res pics of 4 color para smock and 4 color windproof snagged off of eBay. IIRC they went for big bucks.

Cheers,

Steve
    Camo_fiend
    Camo_fiend

Post by Camo_fiend Fri Dec 04, 2009 3:31 am

Can you post the photos, if possible? Lo-res doesn't bother me. I really like this pattern of DPM.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:20 am