IACMC MILITARIA FORUM

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+8
sergeant
misanthropic_gods
panzerwerk
Camo_fiend
camoman1945
CollectinSteve
Philip
bravo_2_zero
12 posters

Irish Camo

parafal
    parafal
    Junior Sergeant
    Junior Sergeant

Name : Ed.
    Registration date : 2011-09-19
    Number of posts : 164

Irish Camo - Page 2 Empty Re: Irish Camo

Post by parafal Wed Dec 28, 2011 11:21 pm

I too am now the owner of a set.

Irish Camo - Page 2 112_0025
    Irish Camo - Page 2 112_0026
    Irish Camo - Page 2 112_0021
    Irish Camo - Page 2 112_0023
    Irish Camo - Page 2 112_0029
    Irish Camo - Page 2 112_0030
    Irish Camo - Page 2 112_0028
    saltefanden
    saltefanden
    Lieutenant
    Lieutenant

Registration date : 2010-12-23
    Number of posts : 731

Post by saltefanden Thu Dec 29, 2011 3:12 pm

Does any official size chart exist for the Irish uniform system, please?

I simply refuse to believe all Irish Defence servicemen are barrel-chested hobbits;
    My size L shirt and smock are huge around the chest but extra short on the sleeves.

The XL size sleeves fit a bit better, but then chest size is ridiculous.

Finally, I am a certified size 34 inch-waist-type-person, but not a tub of lard and all my mates could help me squeeze into 34" Irish trousers, and even the 36" ones are a tight fit.

Are all gear meant to be worn with insulating under garments, and you consequently go a few sizes up, or am I simply an anatomical freak of nature?
    2/1kiwi
    2/1kiwi
    Senior Sergeant
    Senior Sergeant

Name : Dan
    Registration date : 2011-03-03
    Number of posts : 368

Post by 2/1kiwi Fri Dec 30, 2011 2:57 am

Lol, my Smock is a about a l or xl in size, however the sleeves come up a bit short as well, smock is the Arktis style, a bringback from Timor.

Cheers
    Dan
    fourtycoats
    fourtycoats
    Sergeant Major
    Sergeant Major

Registration date : 2010-01-13
    Number of posts : 445

Post by fourtycoats Fri Dec 30, 2011 8:09 am

saltefanden wrote:Does any official size chart exist for the Irish uniform system, please?

?
    Until recently, the size system for the cammo uniforms was very oversized for smocks and shirts but slightly undersized for trousers,i.e. for a shirt or smock you go down one size to get something close to what you would expect, e.g. if you are a UK or USA large, then a medium shirt is best for you.
    I have found the trousers to be very close to what they say,i.e. if the label says 36 then the waist measures 36 inch. If you measure most USA civilian garment waist sizes, you will find that they are bigger than stated on the label,e.g. a USA stated 36 waist for a pair of jeans will actually measure 38 inch on the waist. The UK is going this way but is not as bad as the USA yet. This is called"vanity sizing" in the trade. My wife tells me it is the same for women's clothes. e.g. a stated size 14 is actually a 16. This may be the problem you have found with waist sizes Very Happy

The Irish Army size system has now changed and you will see the word "new" on the labels of the latest garments ,e.g. "Shirt New Size M" so if you see the word "new" then you get what it says on the label.
    saltefanden
    saltefanden
    Lieutenant
    Lieutenant

Registration date : 2010-12-23
    Number of posts : 731

Post by saltefanden Fri Dec 30, 2011 4:43 pm

Are you insinuating I am turning flabby Fortycoats?! Very Happy

Nope, you are probably right that my true un-vanity waist size should be a 36" Embarassed - how you Irish give it straight!

I have only ever seen pre-2002 pieces, but would love to get my clutches on a newer set in the 'true' sizes.

The Irish Arktis-style smocks are some of the best made kit I've ever come across and you can but love the camo!
    panzerwerk
    panzerwerk
    Colonel
    Colonel

Name : Steve Hoeger
    Registration date : 2009-02-16
    Number of posts : 3068

Post by panzerwerk Fri Dec 30, 2011 5:32 pm

if you are a UK or USA large, then a medium shirt is best for you.
    I have found the trousers to be very close to what they say,i.e. if the label says 36 then the waist measures 36 inch. If you measure most USA civilian garment waist sizes, you will find that they are bigger than stated on the label,e.g. a USA stated 36 waist for a pair of jeans will actually measure 38 inch on the waist. The UK is going this way but is not as bad as the USA yet. This is called"vanity sizing"

Umm NO , not in the U.S. , I have been wearing clothes since I was a baby , so I have some experience with this ,I wear many different brands and wear a 36- 38 inch waist depending on time of year and how much I ate that month , they are what they claim to be and all measure out including my jeans and the stack of shorts I have that I wear most of the year round , I have found some shirt sizing to be a little off , I like to wear XXL for my big belly , but some manufactures shirts seem a little smaller then others but thats probably just the cut.
    I have not seen vanity sizing in Mens clothing here in my 44 years , not saying it does not exist, But I have never seen it ,any shop/store that sold stuff like that probably would not be my kind of clothing store anyway LOL .
    fourtycoats
    fourtycoats
    Sergeant Major
    Sergeant Major

Registration date : 2010-01-13
    Number of posts : 445

Post by fourtycoats Fri Dec 30, 2011 5:40 pm

What is your waist size Steve?

Just to show that I am not imagining this trend, follow the links below.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vanity_sizing

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2033555/Waistline-shrinking-Clothes-stores-using-vanity-sizing-make-trousers-inches-bigger-say-label.html

Last edited by fourtycoats on Fri Dec 30, 2011 5:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
    panzerwerk
    panzerwerk
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post by panzerwerk Fri Dec 30, 2011 5:48 pm

I fluctuate between 36 and 38 , I have to measure before I shop so I get what I need at the time .
    panzerwerk
    panzerwerk
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post by panzerwerk Fri Dec 30, 2011 5:52 pm

Before marriage nice 34" waist with a flat stomach.

Irish Camo - Page 2 36017_106007749448179_100001168632441_47709_1875339_n

After marriage ,pic says it all :

Irish Camo - Page 2 36017_106016052780682_100001168632441_47750_4031699_n

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:36 pm