IACMC MILITARIA FORUM

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

3 posters

Modified Ranger BDU.

Bury_Dave
    Bury_Dave
    Senior Lieutenant
    Senior Lieutenant

Name : Dave
    Registration date : 2012-02-14
    Number of posts : 822

Modified Ranger BDU. Empty Modified Ranger BDU.

Post by Bury_Dave Sat May 19, 2012 1:18 pm

A nicely badged and used example. Size large reg in ripstop DCU

Modified Ranger BDU. IMG_5892

Unusual as it still has all four of its' pockets on the body.

I rather like it Very Happy

Dave

Last edited by Bury_Dave on Sat May 19, 2012 1:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
    John Brown
    Sergeant
    Sergeant

Registration date : 2011-09-11
    Number of posts : 234

Modified Ranger BDU. Empty Re: Modified Ranger BDU.

Post by John Brown Sat May 19, 2012 1:52 pm

As has been mentioned before, just because there's a Ranger tab doesn't make the owner a Ranger.

It is quite common for officers (of any branch) to use the Ranger course as a "ticket puncher" in order to forward their advancement.

OTOH, if you see an enlisted uniform with a Ranger tab, it's quite likely that person actually was a Ranger (served in a Ranger unit).
    Bury_Dave
    Bury_Dave
    Senior Lieutenant
    Senior Lieutenant

Post by Bury_Dave Sat May 19, 2012 1:54 pm

So you're saying that this isn't a Ranger BDU then ?

Mind you, i could care less, i like it and that is what collecting is about - pleasing yourself before pleasing anyone else Smile
    John Brown
    Sergeant
    Sergeant

Post by John Brown Sat May 19, 2012 2:09 pm

Bury_Dave wrote:So you're saying that this isn't a Ranger BDU then ?
    Unless you can search the name and ascertain for sure, the odds of it belonging to an actual Ranger officer are low.

The sleeve pocket modifications got to be "fairly common" in deployed combat arms units before the ACU came along, so they don't really tell us anything.

Bury_Dave wrote:Mind you, i could care less, i like it and that is what collecting is about - pleasing yourself before pleasing anyone else Smile
    Yep Smile
    Bury_Dave
    Bury_Dave
    Senior Lieutenant
    Senior Lieutenant

Post by Bury_Dave Sat May 19, 2012 2:27 pm

So you can't actually say yourself that this is definately NOT a Ranger officer's BDU then ? Are you saying the badges were - in your opinion - put on the BDU to make it more saleable ? Are you taking a presumption of fake based on probability or personal bias and without knowing the story behind it ? Or are you saying the BDU and badges are genuine but that the wearer may not have been actually serving with a Ranger battalion.

Bearing in mind it came from a fellow collector who got it from the guy who traded for it originally (An ebay seller and 24 year Para Regt veteran I know personally and who told me it was from a Ranger officer ....), I will take my provenance over your unprovable opinion and thank you for trying to pi55 on my parade Wink

Have a great weekend Very Happy
    Mercenary25
    Mercenary25

Name : Jeremy
    Registration date : 2009-03-02
    Number of posts : 1419

Post by Mercenary25 Sat May 19, 2012 2:27 pm

Like John Brown stated, it is not a Ranger DCU. The Ranger tab is earned by anyone who went through the Ranger School. Authorized to be worn above SSI of the current unit and airborne tab. It is one of ways to "show off" skills. Therefore this is not a Ranger Regiment DCU. I hope it will clear up the many misconception about a uniform with Ranger tab being a Ranger uniform. Cheers.

The actual Ranger Regiment weren't authorized to wear SSI on their uniforms.

Modified Ranger BDU. Oifbanner

http://oefoif.forumotion.net/forum.htm
    Mercenary25
    Mercenary25

Post by Mercenary25 Sat May 19, 2012 2:34 pm

Bury_Dave wrote:So you can't actually say yourself that this is definately NOT a Ranger officer's BDU then ? Are you saying the badges were - in your opinion - put on the BDU to make it more saleable ? Are you taking a presumption of fake based on probability or personal bias and without knowing the story behind it ? Or are you saying the BDU and badges are genuine but that the wearer may not have been actually serving with a Ranger battalion.

Bearing in mind it came from a fellow collector who got it from the guy who traded for it originally (An ebay seller and 24 year Para Regt veteran I know personally and who told me it was from a Ranger officer ....), I will take my provenance over your unprovable opinion and thank you for trying to pi55 on my parade Wink

First of all, Jason Brown didn't rain on your parade. What he stated was a fact. The fact is your DCU is a officer of 3rd Infantry Division. Granted, he may or may not been in the 75th Ranger Regiment. but he earned this tab by going through Ranger School.

Second, he never say that your DCU is fake. There are some non-Ranger DCU's with Ranger tabs out there which is normal.

John Brown
    Sergeant
    Sergeant

Post by John Brown Sat May 19, 2012 2:37 pm

Bury_Dave wrote:So you can't actually say yourself that this is definately NOT a Ranger officer's BDU then ? Are you saying the badges were - in your opinion - put on the BDU to make it more saleable ? Are you taking a presumption of fake based on probability or personal bias and without knowing the story behind it ?
    I did not say any of that.

Bury_Dave wrote:Or are you saying the BDU and badges are genuine but that the wearer may not have been actually serving with a Ranger battalion.
    This is closer to what I'm saying.

Bury_Dave wrote:Bearing in mind it came from a fellow collector who got it from the guy who traded for it originally (An ebay seller and 24 year Para Regt veteran I know personally and who told me it was from a Ranger officer ....), I will take my provenance over your unprovable opinion and thank you for trying to pi55 on my parade Wink

Not trying to piss on your parade. Your officer did succeed in passing the Ranger school (which isn't easy at all), but odds are low that he actually served in a Ranger unit.

BTW, it's not an opinion. Anyone who's served in the U.S. Army and paid attention has seen all the officers wearing Ranger tabs (far too many to have all held billets in a Ranger unit). As I said in my first post, Ranger school is used by officers for "career advancement" purposes. Once you pass the course, you wear the tab for the rest of your career (no serving in a Ranger unit necessary).
    Mercenary25
    Mercenary25

Post by Mercenary25 Sat May 19, 2012 2:38 pm

Here is a picture of the 75th Ranger Regiment modified DCU's.

Modified Ranger BDU. 00110

Modified Ranger BDU. 04a375025zg4

Mercenary25
    Mercenary25

Post by Mercenary25 Sat May 19, 2012 2:45 pm

Remember Pat Tillerman, NFL star turned to Ranger who got killed by friendly fire?

Modified Ranger BDU. Iraq_Former+Arizona+Cardinal+Pat+Tillman+gave+up+a+lucrative+NFL+career+in+2002+to+fight+in+Afghanistan+with+the+elite+Army+Rangers.+He+was+killed+April+22,+2004

Bury_Dave
    Bury_Dave
    Senior Lieutenant
    Senior Lieutenant

Post by Bury_Dave Sat May 19, 2012 2:49 pm

Mercenary, I'm sure Mr Brown appreciates you jumping to his aid but is suspect he is a big boy and able to look after himself.

What I didn't appreciate in the first post is someone coming up and saying that the odds of it being a Ranger officer's BDU are low with no explanation.We do not base judgements on probablities but on facts and details. I am here to learn but a comment to the effect that it's unlikely that what you've got is real and nothing else isn't exactly polite or in the spirit of this forum. Plenty of folk have bought and presented things which are fake and been told in the nicest possible ways that they got it wrong.

Jason, thank you for taking the time to better explain your terse first comment. I am now the wiser. Sometimes it ain't what one says but how one says it which causes offence. I'd hoped my use of a smiley or two would have conveyed that I wasn't in the bother that your buddy seems to be in Laughing

But this isn't the first time that two nations seperated by the 'same' language have misunderstood each other ! Laughing

Again, have a great weekend Smile
    Mercenary25
    Mercenary25

Post by Mercenary25 Sat May 19, 2012 3:09 pm

I just wanted to point out the difference because this is a common mistake.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:36 pm