IACMC MILITARIA FORUM

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+3
koalorka
Bury_Dave
mk209
7 posters

Swedish M90 coverall/flight suit?

mk209
    mk209
    Sergeant
    Sergeant

Registration date : 2012-05-23
    Number of posts : 218

Swedish M90 coverall/flight suit? Empty Swedish M90 coverall/flight suit?

Post by mk209 Wed May 30, 2012 10:32 am

I got this today and I've no idea what it was used for or if it was ever an issued piece of kit to the Swedish forces? It's extremely well made by The Uniform Sewing Co. Poole, Dorset (UK)They went out of business in 1998 so this is an old bit of clothing. It has no signs of any insignia sewn on and removed but has a name in tag as 'Gellers 984' (name may not be correct as it's faded and hard to read)

It has velcro and a main zip, 2 rear zipped pockets, 2 side access velcro openings, 2 shin pockets (velcro)2 thigh pockets zipped and velcro)A pen pocket on one sleeve and a bigger pocket on the other. The hood is elasticated and has a velcro tab to hold it when not in use. The bottoms of the legs have a zip too for easy boot access.

Swedish M90 coverall/flight suit? SWM90a
    Swedish M90 coverall/flight suit? SWM90b

If anyone recognises this piece of clothing do let me know, thanks.

Matt.

Last edited by mk209 on Wed May 30, 2012 10:56 am; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : Spelling!)
    Bury_Dave
    Bury_Dave
    Senior Lieutenant
    Senior Lieutenant

Name : Dave
    Registration date : 2012-02-14
    Number of posts : 822

Swedish M90 coverall/flight suit? Empty Re: Swedish M90 coverall/flight suit?

Post by Bury_Dave Wed May 30, 2012 12:15 pm

Can't say I've seen this particular model before but bearing in mind it was made in Poole ....... could have been made for someone(s) from Shakey Boat and paid for from unit funds.

MK Ltd used to do something similar for Hereford lot back around then too. Usually companies set up and operated by ex members of HMSF.

A possibility ? It certainly isn't Swedish issue. Regardless, it's a nice piece.

To be honest, you'd be better off posting this in the "Identify this " Section rather than here as it isn't Swedish and you might get more people looking in there. Just a thoguht.

Dave
    mk209
    mk209
    Sergeant
    Sergeant

Post by mk209 Wed May 30, 2012 1:39 pm

Thanks Dave I've posted it in that section too. I doubted it would ever have been used by Swedish forces but it's just an odd bit of kit really. It weighs a fair bit too as it's thick material and so well made. It'll get used in paintball by me anyway as there's not much else I can do with it Laughing

Matt.
    koalorka
    koalorka
    Lieutenant Colonel
    Lieutenant Colonel

Registration date : 2010-05-22
    Number of posts : 1733

Post by koalorka Wed Jan 09, 2013 5:58 pm

The Swedes do issue a coverall for their aviation crews, but this one looks commercial:

Swedish M90 coverall/flight suit? T2ec16dhjf0e9nmfszrbq2h
    CollectinSteve
    CollectinSteve
    ADMIN
    ADMIN

Registration date : 2009-03-08
    Number of posts : 6888

Post by CollectinSteve Wed Jan 09, 2013 6:12 pm

Tag looks good from what I can see of it. Much better than the tags in the one that started off this post Very Happy

Steve
    mk209
    mk209
    Sergeant
    Sergeant

Post by mk209 Wed Jan 09, 2013 7:29 pm

CollectinSteve wrote:Tag looks good from what I can see of it. Much better than the tags in the one that started off this post Very Happy

Steve

Pah...labels...overrated........ Laughing Laughing The only thing going for mine is it's so well made but nobody wants it including myself.
    CollectinSteve
    CollectinSteve
    ADMIN
    ADMIN

Post by CollectinSteve Thu Jan 10, 2013 3:01 am

Hehe. Well, it does look pretty damned nice. I like the idea of this being either a sample or a unit purchase. Coveralls aren't that popular outside of the military and it is well made. Usually when I see paintball coveralls they are CRAP construction. Basically jumpsuits.

Steve
    koalorka
    koalorka
    Lieutenant Colonel
    Lieutenant Colonel

Post by koalorka Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:41 am

Wait, now I'm not sure if the Swedes ever issued a camouflage coverall. The various government sources identify only a few field uniforms in camo, and the helicopter version is a two component uniform. Then what the hell is that above in my post?
    NorBn
    NorBn
    Sergeant
    Sergeant

Registration date : 2009-02-27
    Number of posts : 282

Post by NorBn Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:55 pm

Maybe for tank/ armored vehicle crews? The Norwegian army have a similar model
    CollectinSteve
    CollectinSteve
    ADMIN
    ADMIN

Post by CollectinSteve Thu Jan 10, 2013 2:04 pm

The first one in this thread is not apparently Swedish standard issue. There's British tags and that's that. Whether it was used by Swedish forces or not is unknown, but I suspect it was. High quality camo coveralls are not a common commercial item. In fact, I can't think of any.

The second coveralls pictured look like legit Swedish issue based on the tiny pic of the tag and other features.

Generally coveralls are issued for four purposes:

1. Flight crews (usually fixed wing aircraft. Rotary tend to use 2 piece uniforms)
    2. Aircraft service personnel (i.e. ground crews)
    3. AFV crews
    4. Special forces

They often have common features from nation to nation. Generally #1 and #3 have lower shin pockets, #2 generally is pretty simplistic, and #4 tends to have cool features like double zippered front and lots of pockets.

Steve
    koalorka
    koalorka
    Lieutenant Colonel
    Lieutenant Colonel

Post by koalorka Thu Jan 10, 2013 3:20 pm

Strangely, it is not listed under any published sources on Swedish uniforms including their own ministry of defense website, while the helicopter crew version has its own designation - M/90HKP.

The patch on the shoulder appears to be aviation-related, however all of the other air crew uniforms are mono-colour types:

http://www.forsvarsmakten.se/upload/dokumentfiler/uniformer/2_Stridsuniformer.pdf
    CollectinSteve
    CollectinSteve
    ADMIN
    ADMIN

Post by CollectinSteve Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:53 am

Trials piece or perhaps just too obscure for them to bother documenting? Another possibility is this was pulled from service before the regs were published or came in after. As I said, the label looks good. Even though it is small you can see the crowns and the height diagram.

Steve
    saltefanden
    saltefanden
    Lieutenant
    Lieutenant

Registration date : 2010-12-23
    Number of posts : 731

Post by saltefanden Fri Jan 11, 2013 3:21 pm

I'd say the suit in Raff's picture looks legit as well, only I've never seen one either.
    The Swedish tanker suits, M90P for 'pansar', are two bit pieces, well padded and with suspenders to the trousers; I'd guess AF on Raff's pictured one here.
    No idea on mk209's English made set, I have seen one before but guessed 'commercial' and didn't invest.
    Maybe I should have, it looks quite sturdy and very cool!
    koalorka
    koalorka
    Lieutenant Colonel
    Lieutenant Colonel

Post by koalorka Fri Jan 11, 2013 8:58 pm

Closer picture of the label:

Swedish M90 coverall/flight suit? T2ec16rhjiie9qtykcsvbq2

And shoulder patch:

Swedish M90 coverall/flight suit? Kgrhqzhjesfdmtwwzzbq2in

1994, making it a relatively early M/90 component. Probably replaced with the two-piece crewman uniform.
    CollectinSteve
    CollectinSteve
    ADMIN
    ADMIN

Post by CollectinSteve Sat Jan 12, 2013 1:09 am

Very nice and all indications are this is legit issue.

You're probably right. They started out with the coveralls since that's a common garment for fixed wing crews. Cheaper too Very Happy But then the complaints mounted from rotary aircraft crews and the two piece set came about as a result. Makes total sense to me.

One question I have... why is it so fairly consistent, going back to at least the 1960s, for rotary aircraft crews to have 2 piece uniforms and fixed wing to have 1 piece? There must be a pretty straight forward reason for it.

Steve
    Ulvhedin311
    Corporal
    Corporal

Registration date : 2013-05-10
    Number of posts : 56

Post by Ulvhedin311 Sat May 11, 2013 7:36 am

The top one is the real deal in my humble opinion.
    The Swedish armed forces used a overall in the M90 pattern for mechanics in the beginning of the 90's.
    You can still see a washed out example or two in the workshops but the all OD one was the winner.
    I´ve never seen them up close and inspected the label so I can´t be 100%.

But I´ve seen them during my military service in Sweden!
    mk209
    mk209
    Sergeant
    Sergeant

Post by mk209 Sat May 11, 2013 6:14 pm

Do you mean my coverall? That's great news if it is as I was sure it had been issued to somebody due to the name and number in the tag.

Matt.
    Ulvhedin311
    Corporal
    Corporal

Registration date : 2013-05-10
    Number of posts : 56

Post by Ulvhedin311 Mon May 13, 2013 3:41 pm

Yes, the coverall. They were old, worn out and washed too many Times' already when I did my military service in 1996. So the year 1988 should be about right!

/Jens

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon Mar 18, 2024 11:26 pm