Flecktarn92
    Officer Candidate
    Officer Candidate

Name : Oliver
    Registration date : 2009-07-15
    Number of posts : 500

New "Reptillian" Camo being tested by US army

Post by Flecktarn92 on Tue Jun 05, 2012 3:52 pm

http://www.military.com/daily-news/2012/06/01/soldiers-could-go-reptilian-with-new-camo.html?ESRC=dod.nl

This month, soldiers will begin testing a camouflage pattern that looks more like reptile scales than terrain as part of the field-trial portion of the Army’s camouflage improvement effort.

The start of the field evaluation comes five months after Army uniform officials announced the finalists that had emerged from the service’s exhaustive Phase IV Camouflage Improvement effort. A handful of vendors were awarded contracts to make camouflage-patterned material for uniforms and equipment. Ultimately, the winner’s pattern could end up replacing the Army’s embattled Universal Camouflage Pattern, known as UCP, which was adopted in 2004.

There's a picture in the article of the pattern. It's an interesting looking pattern.

But boy have I lost track of all the different patterns being used and tested and evaluated and issue by the US army. I'd like to see the other four though.

John Brown
    Sergeant
    Sergeant

Registration date : 2011-09-11
    Number of posts : 234

Re: New "Reptillian" Camo being tested by US army

Post by John Brown on Tue Jun 05, 2012 4:30 pm

Closeup of the Kryptek woodland variant:

Camo_fiend

Name : Ben
    Registration date : 2009-07-22
    Number of posts : 2646

Post by Camo_fiend on Tue Jun 05, 2012 5:24 pm

ADS Inc. out of Virginia Beach, VA has submitted a family of patterns for consideration in the tests as well. ADS partnered with Guy Cramer (of HyperStealth) to research and design the pattern. The line is called US4CES. It consists of patterns for woodland, desert, and "transitional" environments. The pattern reminds me of the Afghan digital camo. More info here.

Some photos of ADS, Inc.'s submissions:

See my collection online: http://benscamo.webs.com/

Flecktarn92
    Officer Candidate
    Officer Candidate

Post by Flecktarn92 on Tue Jun 05, 2012 6:23 pm

I just don't understand why the Army can't just have more than one uniform. A universal pattern just seems unrealistic at this point. The Marines got it right, the Navy has their three patterns and the Air Force...well I guess ABU works. Why can't they just get woodland, arid and any other uniform rather than trying to put it all in one?

As a collector I am happy that they keep messing up but as a tax payer I am pretty annoyed.

Rich83
    Junior Sergeant
    Junior Sergeant

Name : Rich
    Registration date : 2012-03-24
    Number of posts : 143

Post by Rich83 on Tue Jun 05, 2012 6:30 pm

Anyone else think this is getting silly lol?

John Brown
    Sergeant
    Sergeant

Post by John Brown on Tue Jun 05, 2012 7:11 pm

Flecktarn92 wrote:I just don't understand why the Army can't just have more than one uniform. A universal pattern just seems unrealistic at this point. The Marines got it right, the Navy has their three patterns and the Air Force...well I guess ABU works. Why can't they just get woodland, arid and any other uniform rather than trying to put it all in one?

As a collector I am happy that they keep messing up but as a tax payer I am pretty annoyed.
    I don't understand your post.

The Army is conducting trials of new camouflage uniforms that will allow them to field FOUR different types of uniform pattern: Woodland, Arid, transitional and OCIE.

These trials are being held to find a new pattern so that UCP and OCP can be put out to pasture.

Flecktarn92
    Officer Candidate
    Officer Candidate

Post by Flecktarn92 on Wed Jun 06, 2012 1:45 am

Looks like I read the a section wrong. Where they mention the experiment in the four terrains they also mention one single pattern for individual equipment. I take it then (and hope) that this means that the winning pattern will be issued in the four different environmental types.

Bury_Dave
    Senior Lieutenant
    Senior Lieutenant

Name : Dave
    Registration date : 2012-02-14
    Number of posts : 807

Post by Bury_Dave on Wed Jun 06, 2012 3:57 am

Are we talking about one pattern uniform in 4 different colourings then rather than 4 different patterns in 4 different colourings ?

One colouring of load carrying kit ?

Let's hope it doesn't get as ridiculous as the Canadians with the Cadpat boots !

The reptile scales one looks like it belongs in a Sci-Fi movie !

Dave

Rich83
    Junior Sergeant
    Junior Sergeant

Post by Rich83 on Wed Jun 06, 2012 4:02 am

Bury_Dave wrote:The reptile scales one looks like it belongs in a Sci-Fi movie !

Makes me think of Stargate or something equally as silly.

I have to wonder tho, that considering the armies of the world have been changing their uniforms for the last fifty years, if none of them have it right so far will they ever? (until they get that funky Predator camo thing lol)

I thought Multicam was supposed to be the jack of all trades? And that ATACS looks pretty good in arid terrain. And DPM looks fantastic in the Northern Hemisphere...

Bury_Dave
    Senior Lieutenant
    Senior Lieutenant

Name : Dave
    Registration date : 2012-02-14
    Number of posts : 807

Post by Bury_Dave on Wed Jun 06, 2012 9:02 am

I agree with you Rich. I've seen some non-official A-Tacs with greens in it that looks very good. DPM - well the older, pale one - rules !!

Does anyone know of a chronological history of camos that would show which ones came in what order ? From The German and Italian stuff in the 1930's to the present day.

Dave

Rich83
    Junior Sergeant
    Junior Sergeant

Post by Rich83 on Wed Jun 06, 2012 1:36 pm

I think it started with pea dot didn't it? There was some early rain stuff too before the DDR's Strictarn (spelling?!)In my opinion the Germans had the best throughout the second world war and Flecktarn isn't all bad these days too for an autumn forest although that is very theater specific.

Wasn't there some criticism over the digi patterns that as they fade in the wash they become far less effective?

Also talking of faded, I think DPM's look far better once faded in the wash. I think they are a little too high contrast when new but then I suppose that may be the point of the disruptive bit.

John Brown
    Sergeant
    Sergeant

Post by John Brown on Wed Jun 06, 2012 2:08 pm

Flecktarn92 wrote:Looks like I read the a section wrong. Where they mention the experiment in the four terrains they also mention one single pattern for individual equipment. I take it then (and hope) that this means that the winning pattern will be issued in the four different environmental types.
    No need to assume. This has all been public info since 2009.

When the trials are over, the Army will have

• A uniform to issue to soldiers assigned to arid areas.
    • A uniform to issue to soldiers assigned to woodland areas.
    • A uniform to issue to soldiers assigned to mixed-topology areas (think Afghanistan green zone, where the desert meets the foliage)

• Gear that is designed in one pattern that complements (but doesn't clash with) all of the above.

Rich83
    Junior Sergeant
    Junior Sergeant

Post by Rich83 on Wed Jun 06, 2012 2:24 pm

Now that makes sense. Webbing and kit all in one pattern (the multi terrain type I assume). I think then the UK should go back to DDPM and DPM, with MTP being the transitional. I did wonder why ditch two perfectly good camos in favour for one camo that "will do" in most environments. I like the new four colour DDPM and that wouldn't clash with MTP, and MTP being a DPM shapped Multicam should work a treat for UK forces.

Flecktarn92
    Officer Candidate
    Officer Candidate

Post by Flecktarn92 on Wed Jun 06, 2012 3:00 pm

Now I wonder will the army use different types for different environments? What I mean by that is say Multicam works the best for arid environments but the Kryptek pattern works best in woodland will they adopt both for said environments? Regardless I'm looking forward to the results.

Rich83
    Junior Sergeant
    Junior Sergeant

Post by Rich83 on Wed Jun 06, 2012 3:04 pm

IT does look good. Just been looking at some pics of the Kryptek in arid and it looks fantastic.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content Today at 11:24 pm

Current date/time is Fri Dec 02, 2016 11:24 pm