IACMC MILITARIA FORUM

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

4 posters

FIJI ISLANDS

alltoursnatives
    alltoursnatives
    Corporal
    Corporal

Registration date : 2009-02-16
    Number of posts : 67

FIJI ISLANDS Empty FIJI ISLANDS

Post by alltoursnatives Mon Apr 20, 2009 2:35 pm

Hi friends

Some months ago I obtained from a ex-gendarme french a set (he obtained in a trade in New Caledonian) a very inusual unifor. In fact it´s a FIJI ISLANDS ERDL set, made in taiwan. For more details

http://perso.wanadoo.es/camouniforms/fijislands.htm

all the best

alltoursnatives.tk
    onward288
    onward288
    Sergeant
    Sergeant

Registration date : 2011-08-06
    Number of posts : 288

FIJI ISLANDS Empty Re: FIJI ISLANDS

Post by onward288 Wed Sep 07, 2011 5:27 pm

Heres some Sinai and Timor FMF uniform shirts and Durbon

FIJI ISLANDS 08092016

FIJI ISLANDS 08092018

FIJI ISLANDS 08092017

FIJI ISLANDS 08092019

Philip
    Philip
    ADMIN MODERATOR
    ADMIN MODERATOR

Registration date : 2009-02-17
    Number of posts : 3117

Post by Philip Thu Sep 08, 2011 1:04 pm

Is that jungle shirt US made?

onward288
    Sergeant
    Sergeant

Post by onward288 Thu Sep 08, 2011 1:06 pm

Yeah mate they were given a heap of it by the US in the middle east in the 80s.
    onward288
    onward288
    Sergeant
    Sergeant

Post by onward288 Mon Sep 12, 2011 7:20 pm

FIJI ISLANDS 13092020
    onward288
    onward288
    Sergeant
    Sergeant

Post by onward288 Mon Sep 26, 2011 2:34 am

FIJI ISLANDS 102_0027
    onward288
    onward288
    Sergeant
    Sergeant

Post by onward288 Sat Mar 03, 2012 5:13 am

FIJI ISLANDS Photo022
    onward288
    onward288
    Sergeant
    Sergeant

Post by onward288 Thu May 24, 2012 1:32 am

FIJI ISLANDS 20395210
    onward288
    onward288
    Sergeant
    Sergeant

Post by onward288 Sun Jul 01, 2012 4:51 pm

FIJI ISLANDS 125a10
    TennoHeikaNate
    TennoHeikaNate
    Senior Sergeant
    Senior Sergeant

Name : Nate
    Registration date : 2013-10-16
    Number of posts : 321

Post by TennoHeikaNate Sun Feb 05, 2017 9:16 pm

Got a couple shirts awhile back

One army shirt, unknown era, probably slightly older as their new stuff is ripstop as I've seen. Ranked to a Cpl. Not sure what the badge is, makes me think special forces? The dagger gives off that vibe but I know nothing of the Fijian military.
    Unknown TRF on the arm.

FIJI ISLANDS Fijin_10
    FIJI ISLANDS Fijint10

FIJI ISLANDS 330010
    FIJI ISLANDS 99892910
    FIJI ISLANDS 20060510
    FIJI ISLANDS 20150210
    FIJI ISLANDS 54013110
    FIJI ISLANDS 54015210
    FIJI ISLANDS 54015510
    FIJI ISLANDS Eight_10
    FIJI ISLANDS Post-110
    FIJI ISLANDS R0_0_310

Not really military but I also got this Fijian Prison Service shirt, same cut and style but a different color, badge, and tag.

FIJI ISLANDS Fijian12
    FIJI ISLANDS Fijian11
    FIJI ISLANDS Fijian10

FIJI ISLANDS 4109910
    TennoHeikaNate
    TennoHeikaNate
    Senior Sergeant
    Senior Sergeant

Name : Nate
    Registration date : 2013-10-16
    Number of posts : 321

Post by TennoHeikaNate Wed Apr 17, 2024 7:05 am

Revisiting an old topic with fresh photos of my old stuff and some new stuff, as well as new information.
    First off; this shirt, the first Fijian piece I ever got. I have since learned that the wreathed knife badge on the chest is the Fijian Infantry Combat Badge.
    It's heavily copied off the Australian Infantry Combat Badge, but with a scroll across the bottom which is blacked out on the subdued fabric badge, but on the metal badge reads "FIR" (Fiji Infantry Regiment).
    The FMF rank insignia system is very Commonwealth-based, this shirt is patched to a Lance Corporal.
    The blue on red TRF is for the Logistic Support Battalion.
    If you look on Getty or Alamy for instance, you'll find many photos of Fijian troops wearing these plain green, exposed button, two-pocket shirt uniforms from at least the 1970's well into the 2020's.
    I believe the earliest iterations of these uniforms were made in thin cotton, linen, or Aertex-type fabrics, however by the 1980's these cotton-poly twill uniforms have been in use, and it seems by the 90's-00's the synthetic count in the uniforms increased, as evident by the heavy reflective sheen seen in both the fabric and the insignia.
    Minor differences abound, this model with these smaller four-hole buttons appears to have come around in the late 80's or 90's and are only recently (late 2010's/2020's) being replaced by new two-pocket BDU type ripstop uniforms with covered buttons, as well as ACU cut uniforms and combat shirts, all still in plain olive green however.

FIJI ISLANDS Fijian10
    FIJI ISLANDS Fijian12
    FIJI ISLANDS Fijian11
    FIJI ISLANDS Fijian13

Not from my collection, just as an example, here's the Fijian ICB.
    FIJI ISLANDS Fiji_i10

A recent addition, here's a much older model shirt, dating to at most the mid-80's.
    I acquired this from a British RE veteran named Phil, who was gifted the shirt by a 2nd Battalion FIJIBATT MFO soldier at Camp El Gorah, Sinai, in 1985.
    Note the much more cotton composition of the material, tuck-in hem, pleated pockets with pointed flaps, and the BDU type buttons.
    There's also no large FMF property label in the neck, just a simple paper size tag that's washed out on this example.

FIJI ISLANDS Fijian14
    FIJI ISLANDS Fijian16
    FIJI ISLANDS Fijian15
    FIJI ISLANDS Mfo_si10
    FIJI ISLANDS Post-110

The next two aren't military, but I'll share anyway due to their rarity.
    First is some better pics of the same old Fiji Prisons Service shirt, from the same period as my first FMF shirt and identical except for the darker green color, sleeve insignia, and property label.
    As of the mid 2010's the Fiji Prisons Service has been renamed to the Fiji Corrections Service following their reform after complaints of prisoner treatment and conditions, and both the uniforms and insignia have been slightly changed. This shirt likely dates to the 2000's as I acquired it sometime by the very early 2010's.

FIJI ISLANDS Fijian17
    FIJI ISLANDS Fijian18
    FIJI ISLANDS Fijian19
    FIJI ISLANDS Fiji_p10
    FIJI ISLANDS Fiji_p11
    FIJI ISLANDS Fiji_p12

And lastly, a factory new, undelivered Fijian Police M65 with liner.
    From photos it seems the Fijian police transitioned to full dark blue uniforms around the late 2010's, also when I acquired this jacket, whereas historically they've worn light blue shirts with dark blue trousers.
    I'm guessing this M65 was part of their trials for new uniforms, and I'm guessing it wasn't accepted as I've seen no evidence of any being worn.
    In fact, I've rarely seen any photos of any Fijian police officer wearing anything heavier than a long sleeve shirt or BDU coat, or a light rain jacket even in heavy downpours, many even still wear their regular short sleeve shirts in the rain, so I suppose they would've found this jacket far too thick and bulky for any effective use. Still, it was too neat and uncommon an item to pass up!

FIJI ISLANDS Fijian20
    FIJI ISLANDS Fijian22
    FIJI ISLANDS Fijian21

And as a bonus, at the cost of tearing my hair out for hours trying to ID units, I made this quick little MS paint chart of some of the basic FMF TRFs you'll find after researching posts by the RFMF's social media accounts.
    These are mostly seen on forces within Fiji. The Regular Forces, which consist of the first three Infantry Battalions, the 1st Battalion is often deployed with the UN on peacekeeping missions and often wear the UN sleeve patch instead of their red square TRF, and the 2nd Batt is almost always deployed to the Sinai with the MFO, and often wear the MFO sleeve patch as seen on my example above rather than their red circle TRF.
    The 3rd Batt, the "Red Diamonds", are stationed in the capital of Suva. The remaining Infantry Battalions, which consist of the 4th, 5th, and 7th/8th Infantry Battalions, make up the Territorial Forces and protect the rest of the Fijian Islands.
    The Palace Guards almost always wear their traditional starched white Sulus (sarongs) paired with Commonwealth style red tunics.
    Members of the Fiji Military Band, when not wearing dress uniform, often seem to wear the blue and red Logistic Support Battalion TRF for some reason.

FIJI ISLANDS Fmf_tr11

Enjoy
    -Nate

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:39 am