IACMC MILITARIA FORUM

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

4 posters

Two different USAF Digital Tigers (ABU)?

CollectinSteve
    CollectinSteve
    ADMIN
    ADMIN

Registration date : 2009-03-08
    Number of posts : 6888

Two different USAF Digital Tigers (ABU)? Empty Two different USAF Digital Tigers (ABU)?

Post by CollectinSteve Wed Apr 22, 2009 7:09 pm

Hi all,

I was at a shop a few days ago and they had a ton of ABUs that were military inspector rejects (black lines through contract numbers). I noticed two distinctly different models. One is the standard issue with inside pockets while the other lacked inside pockets. Because the contract numbers were destroyed by the black magic marker lines, I couldn't get the usual info. I was kinda in a rush by the time I saw them so I couldn't look at them closely. But I'd have to say that other than the pockets on the inside, there was no other significant difference. Both seemed to be made for the government, not commercial purposes, and the guy running the shop confirmed they were all rejects straight from the factories (there were 2 or 3 different factories on the tags I checked). Anybody know anything about this?

Steve
    bravo_2_zero
    bravo_2_zero
    Senior Lieutenant
    Senior Lieutenant

Registration date : 2009-04-16
    Number of posts : 812

Two different USAF Digital Tigers (ABU)? Empty Re: Two different USAF Digital Tigers (ABU)?

Post by bravo_2_zero Thu Apr 23, 2009 4:19 am

if it's anything going by my Gen1 tigers, the prototypes only had 2 chest pockets on the jacket. But then again they are rejects and that could have been why they were rejected.

I've been told most USAF personnel cut out the inside pockets in Iraq due to the heat.
    CollectinSteve
    CollectinSteve
    ADMIN
    ADMIN

Two different USAF Digital Tigers (ABU)? Empty Re: Two different USAF Digital Tigers (ABU)?

Post by CollectinSteve Thu Apr 23, 2009 12:59 pm

I hope I would have noticed if the other style had only 2 pockets vs. 4, but then again I was pretty tired by that point so who knows Smile

Because the dates were unreadable I couldn't determine when the other version was made. My two sets (which came from a PX) have 2006 contract dates on them. I suppose if the internal pockets were deemed a negative then perhaps the model without internal pockets is a more recent issued item?

BTW, this is typically how the US does "trials". It spends a ton of money testing out one thing and then puts something else into production that's almost completely different Sad

Steve
    CollectinSteve
    CollectinSteve
    ADMIN
    ADMIN

Post by CollectinSteve Thu Apr 23, 2009 5:48 pm

Well, well... it appears that the ABU has in fact changed:

Based on some discussions on an Air Force forum, it looks like the change was made in early 2008 or perhaps late 2007. Thinner material, no internal pockets. Both changes apparently designed to deal with the fact that they are too hot. At the time the clothing shops had a mix of both, so definitely a transition period.

Based on this article there may be more changes coming along too:

http://www.4af.afrc.af.mil/news/story.asp?id=123106483

Another article talking about the new ABU "coming soon", yet as mentioned it was already appearing in base clothing stores. Strange:

http://www.airforcetimes.com/news/2008/05/airforce_lighter_abus_050808w/

Good to get that little curiosity itch scratched Very Happy

Steve
    bond007a1
    bond007a1
    ADMIN
    ADMIN

Name : Steven
    Registration date : 2009-02-12
    Number of posts : 2099

Post by bond007a1 Thu Apr 23, 2009 6:13 pm

It must be nice...I have YET to acquire an ABU....noone seems to have them anywhere around here...
    OF COURSE...I am looking for ones badged....

Steven

CollectinSteve
    ADMIN
    ADMIN

Post by CollectinSteve Thu Apr 23, 2009 6:30 pm

You won't likely find used ones for a while. Many bases still are only now getting stocks for first issues.

Steve
    AndrewA74
    AndrewA74

Name : Andrew
    Registration date : 2009-02-17
    Number of posts : 930

Post by AndrewA74 Thu Apr 23, 2009 6:32 pm

Speaking of ABUs, my friend in Qatar sent me a locally embriodered boonie in the ABU embriodered for my CAP squadron. I will post pics when I get the time.
    Andrew

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:02 am