SA80 Bayonet

    Share

    Easy Gee
    Colonel
    Colonel

    Name : Gary
    Age : 47
    Location : UK
    Registration date : 2010-06-12
    Number of posts : 3591

    SA80 Bayonet

    Post by Easy Gee on Sat Sep 08, 2012 5:27 am

    Hi Guys.

    Here's an SA80 Bayonet from my collection,this particular example sit's in a 90 Pattern PLCE/OG Frog, it would be great to see other examples,so feel free to show yours Smile



    Gulf91
    Colonel
    Colonel

    Age : 45
    Location : Wales
    Registration date : 2011-05-13
    Number of posts : 3704

    Re: SA80 Bayonet

    Post by Gulf91 on Sat Sep 08, 2012 7:23 am

    Youre missing the plastic scabbard Gary.

    Unlike other bayonets,say like the L1A1 which were made in different types by different makers etc the SA80 bayonets are pretty much boring as for some bizarre reason they(only the trials ones apparently)werent stamped so apart from the different scabbards and frogs the bayonets themselves are pretty much the same.

    MTP
    Corporal
    Corporal

    Location : United Kingdom
    Registration date : 2012-06-09
    Number of posts : 16

    Re: SA80 Bayonet

    Post by MTP on Sat Sep 08, 2012 9:48 am

    There is a scabbard or two on ebay at the moment.

    filupe
    MODERATOR
    MODERATOR

    Location : Oz
    Registration date : 2009-02-16
    Number of posts : 1033

    Re: SA80 Bayonet

    Post by filupe on Sat Sep 08, 2012 11:42 am













    Easy Gee
    Colonel
    Colonel

    Name : Gary
    Age : 47
    Location : UK
    Registration date : 2010-06-12
    Number of posts : 3591

    Re: SA80 Bayonet

    Post by Easy Gee on Sat Sep 08, 2012 12:17 pm

    Many thanks for posting your example filupe, great to see what the complete package should look like, nice one Mate Very Happy

    Guest
    Guest

    Re: SA80 Bayonet

    Post by Guest on Sat Sep 08, 2012 12:24 pm

    that is one mean looking bayonet gary i wouldnt like to be on the recieving end of that ,can i ask what the keyhole cutout is for on the blade i havent a clue mate :oops:thanks for sharing and i hope you pick up the missing part you need to complete cheers james

    loski
    Senior Lieutenant
    Senior Lieutenant

    Name : Graham
    Age : 51
    Location : West Sussex
    Registration date : 2010-08-11
    Number of posts : 834

    Re: SA80 Bayonet

    Post by loski on Sat Sep 08, 2012 2:52 pm

    The cutout in the end of the blade is to fit the bayo onto the scabard to turn the into a wire cutter.

    Guest
    Guest

    Re: SA80 Bayonet

    Post by Guest on Sat Sep 08, 2012 3:11 pm

    thanks graham ,now i know cheers james

    filupe
    MODERATOR
    MODERATOR

    Location : Oz
    Registration date : 2009-02-16
    Number of posts : 1033

    Re: SA80 Bayonet

    Post by filupe on Sun Sep 09, 2012 12:15 am

    Easy Gee wrote:Many thanks for posting your example filupe, great to see what the complete package should look like, nice one Mate Very Happy

    No problems, mate. Luckily I already had the pics somewhere on my portable HD for a past presentation on modern bayonets I did for the military collector's club I'm part of.

    Easy Gee
    Colonel
    Colonel

    Name : Gary
    Age : 47
    Location : UK
    Registration date : 2010-06-12
    Number of posts : 3591

    Re: SA80 Bayonet

    Post by Easy Gee on Sun Sep 09, 2012 6:05 am

    jaycee wrote:that is one mean looking bayonet gary i wouldnt like to be on the recieving end of that ,can i ask what the keyhole cutout is for on the blade i havent a clue mate :oops:thanks for sharing and i hope you pick up the missing part you need to complete cheers james


    Cheers James, I am on the look out for a cheap scabbard right now!!

    Easy Gee
    Colonel
    Colonel

    Name : Gary
    Age : 47
    Location : UK
    Registration date : 2010-06-12
    Number of posts : 3591

    Re: SA80 Bayonet

    Post by Easy Gee on Sun Sep 09, 2012 6:06 am

    filupe wrote:
    Easy Gee wrote:Many thanks for posting your example filupe, great to see what the complete package should look like, nice one Mate Very Happy

    No problems, mate. Luckily I already had the pics somewhere on my portable HD for a past presentation on modern bayonets I did for the military collector's club I'm part of.


    Nice one ,thanks again Mate, great photo's which clearly show the features of these bayonets Smile

    filupe
    MODERATOR
    MODERATOR

    Location : Oz
    Registration date : 2009-02-16
    Number of posts : 1033

    Re: SA80 Bayonet

    Post by filupe on Sun Sep 09, 2012 8:09 am

    Gulf91 wrote:
    ... the SA80 bayonets are pretty much boring as for some bizarre reason they(only the trials ones apparently)werent stamped so apart from the different scabbards and frogs the bayonets themselves are pretty much the same.

    You're right. Not one marking of any kind on my example. I would've thought at least perhaps a broad arrow or a maker's mark. At first I thought I might have some sort of rip-off for the airsoft market! I'd be interested to know what sort of markings (and where) other SA-80 bayonet owners may have.

    Gulf91
    Colonel
    Colonel

    Age : 45
    Location : Wales
    Registration date : 2011-05-13
    Number of posts : 3704

    Re: SA80 Bayonet

    Post by Gulf91 on Sun Sep 09, 2012 8:12 am

    filupe wrote:
    Gulf91 wrote:
    ... the SA80 bayonets are pretty much boring as for some bizarre reason they(only the trials ones apparently)werent stamped so apart from the different scabbards and frogs the bayonets themselves are pretty much the same.

    You're right. Not one marking of any kind on my example. I would've thought at least perhaps a broad arrow or a maker's mark. At first I thought I might have some sort of rip-off for the airsoft market! I'd be interested to know what sort of markings (and where) other SA-80 bayonet owners may have.

    I must have had 10+ of these bayonets over the years and no markings whatsoever which is surprising,like yourself I thought when I bought my first one that it was a repro or something.

    The scabbards arent marked either only the frogs.

    sobota
    Sergeant Major
    Sergeant Major

    Location : UK
    Registration date : 2011-10-21
    Number of posts : 476

    Re: SA80 Bayonet

    Post by sobota on Sun Sep 09, 2012 8:31 am

    Here's mine in a selection of frogs and my scabbard which is unfortunately lacking in metal fixures:








    Gulf91
    Colonel
    Colonel

    Age : 45
    Location : Wales
    Registration date : 2011-05-13
    Number of posts : 3704

    Re: SA80 Bayonet

    Post by Gulf91 on Sun Sep 09, 2012 8:34 am

    WORLDWIDE ARMS have stock of the bayonet with the infantry scabbard but to me unless the design has changed I dont like the look of the wire cutter attachment.


    Easy Gee
    Colonel
    Colonel

    Name : Gary
    Age : 47
    Location : UK
    Registration date : 2010-06-12
    Number of posts : 3591

    Re: SA80 Bayonet

    Post by Easy Gee on Sun Sep 09, 2012 10:31 am

    You're right. Not one marking of any kind on my example. I would've thought at least perhaps a broad arrow or a maker's mark. At first I thought I might have some sort of rip-off for the airsoft market! I'd be interested to know what sort of markings (and where) other SA-80 bayonet owners may have.


    No markings on mine what so ever, strange the SLR bayonets have a plethora of stamps,wonder why it was decided not to mark these!!

    Maybe because the SA80 is the worst bullpup design rifle EVER,why make the bayonets any better!!!! Rolling Eyes Laughing

    Gulf91
    Colonel
    Colonel

    Age : 45
    Location : Wales
    Registration date : 2011-05-13
    Number of posts : 3704

    Re: SA80 Bayonet

    Post by Gulf91 on Sun Sep 09, 2012 10:34 am

    Apparently the bayonets arent much cop and prone to snapping.

    ECW82
    Corporal
    Corporal

    Name : David
    Age : 51
    Location : United Kingdom
    Registration date : 2016-05-12
    Number of posts : 30

    Re: SA80 Bayonet

    Post by ECW82 on Mon Jun 06, 2016 8:50 pm

    Another one to the thread.

    sobota
    Sergeant Major
    Sergeant Major

    Location : UK
    Registration date : 2011-10-21
    Number of posts : 476

    Re: SA80 Bayonet

    Post by sobota on Fri Jun 17, 2016 1:38 pm

    Here mine (again) but this time in an MTP frog.




    Raptor
    Junior Sergeant
    Junior Sergeant

    Location : Ireland
    Registration date : 2011-08-15
    Number of posts : 160

    Re: SA80 Bayonet

    Post by Raptor on Fri Jun 17, 2016 2:13 pm

    Whats the square plastic piece with the male fastex buckle in some of the pictures above for?

    PS: Who is going to be the first to post a pic of the Virtus frog Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

    Gulf91
    Colonel
    Colonel

    Age : 45
    Location : Wales
    Registration date : 2011-05-13
    Number of posts : 3704

    Re: SA80 Bayonet

    Post by Gulf91 on Fri Jun 17, 2016 2:20 pm

    Raptor wrote:Whats the square plastic piece with the male fastex buckle in some of the pictures above for?

    PS: Who is going to be the first to post a pic of the Virtus frog Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

    They were so that the bayonet and scabbard could be worn without the need for a frog(or so I was told!!)

    Gulf91
    Colonel
    Colonel

    Age : 45
    Location : Wales
    Registration date : 2011-05-13
    Number of posts : 3704

    Re: SA80 Bayonet

    Post by Gulf91 on Fri Jun 17, 2016 2:29 pm

    Been meaning to ask this question for a while now but always forgot.

    Im not into modern British stuff(Post 1991) and have had my Infantry bayonet and scabbard for a good few years now but have noticed that WWA have had some for sale for a few years now with a different wire cutter attachment so question is this a current/more modern version or WWA have been accused in the past of apparently faking items,adding WW2 German stamps to non WW2 items etc so wonder if they have had these attachments made to fit loads of non infantry scabbards that they had?

    This isnt me accusing them of anything,just a question,thought.

    http://www.worldwidearms.com/b158-british-sa80-front-line-bayonet/p644

    Sponsored content

    Re: SA80 Bayonet

    Post by Sponsored content Today at 2:42 am


      Current date/time is Fri Dec 09, 2016 2:42 am