IACMC MILITARIA FORUM

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

3 posters

BGS Trousers

fez
    Junior Sergeant
    Junior Sergeant

Name : lee
    Registration date : 2011-11-26
    Number of posts : 178

BGS Trousers Empty BGS Trousers

Post by fez Sat Oct 20, 2012 6:47 pm

Hi all,
    Can anyone give me an idea of value on these trousers ??
    Thanks
    BGS Trousers IMGP0438-10
    CollectinSteve
    CollectinSteve
    ADMIN
    ADMIN

Registration date : 2009-03-08
    Number of posts : 6888

BGS Trousers Empty Re: BGS Trousers

Post by CollectinSteve Sat Oct 20, 2012 11:53 pm

Sure, but first I'll tell you it's not BGS Smile This is 1960 (maybe other year) Berlin Police Sumpftarn trousers. The cut is nearly identical to BGS as is the camouflage print. But there are subtle differences. The usual tell-tale feature is tan rain strokes over the green areas. BGS used dark green throughout. The buttons are also different and a few other things like that.

BGS trousers from this era routinely go for over $100, often times much higher. Ironically the Berlin type used to be much rarer and yet sold for the same price because people didn't understand they were not BGS. However, for the last couple of years a guy in Berlin has been selling a seemingly inexhaustible supply of these. Apparently he bought a load of them from a movie prop company. This has caused the prices to be all over the place. Around $100 is about right for one in great condition.

Steve
    snidervolley
    snidervolley
    Corporal
    Corporal

Registration date : 2014-08-18
    Number of posts : 24

BGS Trousers Empty bgs

Post by snidervolley Tue Oct 14, 2014 5:30 pm

i have the matching smock exceptingit has only the darkgreen rainstrokes
    snidervolley
    snidervolley
    Corporal
    Corporal

BGS Trousers Empty smock border gaurd

Post by snidervolley Tue Oct 14, 2014 5:35 pm

BGS Trousers <a href=BGS Trousers DSCN3000_zps5f7fafcf" />
    CollectinSteve
    CollectinSteve
    ADMIN
    ADMIN

Post by CollectinSteve Tue Oct 14, 2014 6:25 pm

Nope, you don't have a "matching" smock. It's a lot better than that Very Happy

What you have is a very nice condition 1950s smock, probably 1957 (I've still not seen the date pinned down). These smocks were apparently the first general issue for BGS and it was quickly replaced by a 4 pocket jacket.

The trousers seen above are Berlin Polizei. Although closely patterned after BGS cut and BGS Sumpftarn, it's different in both cut and print.

Steve
    snidervolley
    snidervolley
    Corporal
    Corporal

Post by snidervolley Thu Oct 16, 2014 10:49 am

thanks Steve
    i have seen one other smock andit was all cut up in back?
    CollectinSteve
    CollectinSteve
    ADMIN
    ADMIN

Post by CollectinSteve Thu Oct 16, 2014 4:33 pm

The smocks come up for sale fairly regularly over the course of a year. Often they are in bad shape, but there are a good number in excellent condition. I have two with 4 pockets and one with 2 pockets. I have never seen a picture or a collector who has a 2 pocket version other than me, so I unknowingly stumbled upon something 15 years ago when I acquired it in trade!

BGS items are often demilled. The most common things for the 1950/60s jackets is to cut off the D ring and loop on the back side. Often times the buttons are cut off, which sucks because they are unique and very hard to find. The 1960/70s jackets very often have the same problems but also large cuts on the back and very often the arm pocket is also sliced off. For the parka it's the same.

The trousers they very often have all buttons missing. Not only does this suck because they hard to find, but there is something like... from memory... 28 buttons in total. That really makes it hard to get the trousers back into shape.

Steve

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:08 am