Swiss/Swedish helmet cover?

    Share

    3Cmdo

    Location : Great Britain
    Registration date : 2012-10-11
    Number of posts : 5

    Swiss/Swedish helmet cover?

    Post by 3Cmdo on Tue Dec 04, 2012 1:13 pm

    [size=12][size=12]Hi, looking for any info as to the dates of use and what type of helmet this cover is for, I'm sure it's either Swiss or Swedish.
    Thanks.
    [/size][/size]




    msgt norway
    Junior Sergeant
    Junior Sergeant

    Age : 43
    Location : norway
    Registration date : 2012-03-06
    Number of posts : 100

    Re: Swiss/Swedish helmet cover?

    Post by msgt norway on Tue Dec 04, 2012 2:27 pm

    not swedish for shure Very Happy

    looks like german ww2 splinter camo to me.
    not shure how the real deal ww2 cover looks like
    but im shure other fellow members here will lett you know.

    cheers ken,norway

    3Cmdo

    Location : Great Britain
    Registration date : 2012-10-11
    Number of posts : 5

    Re: Swiss/Swedish helmet cover?

    Post by 3Cmdo on Tue Dec 04, 2012 2:32 pm

    Hi Ken thanks for the reply, but from what I remember reading a loooong time ago Very Happy The little dots on one side of the pattern were indicative of non German manufacture.
    I think the German ones were only printed on one side.

    Gulf91
    Colonel
    Colonel

    Age : 46
    Location : Wales
    Registration date : 2011-05-13
    Number of posts : 3815

    Re: Swiss/Swedish helmet cover?

    Post by Gulf91 on Tue Dec 04, 2012 3:24 pm

    Swiss I think.

    Probably made up from a Post War Swiss Poncho.
    avatar
    Easy Gee
    Colonel
    Colonel

    Name : Gary
    Age : 48
    Location : UK
    Registration date : 2010-06-12
    Number of posts : 3591

    Re: Swiss/Swedish helmet cover?

    Post by Easy Gee on Tue Dec 04, 2012 5:52 pm

    Don't think it's Swiss, but does look like a Heer splinter camo cover, Zeltbahn like material...real or not,that I could not say!!!

    Gulf91
    Colonel
    Colonel

    Age : 46
    Location : Wales
    Registration date : 2011-05-13
    Number of posts : 3815

    Re: Swiss/Swedish helmet cover?

    Post by Gulf91 on Tue Dec 04, 2012 6:00 pm

    I would put 100% put my money on it being Swiss.

    Giveaway are the white dots in the pattern,otherwise identical to WW2 German Splinter Cammo.

    There are or were plenty of the Swiss Zeltbahns available-(this pattern was I believe used up until around 1955).

    Easy way to tell the difference between a WW2 German and Swiss Zelt is the Swiss ones are of a more square shape while the German ones are of a more triangular shape.
    avatar
    Bury_Dave
    Senior Lieutenant
    Senior Lieutenant

    Name : Dave
    Age : 53
    Location : Cambridge , UK
    Registration date : 2012-02-14
    Number of posts : 822

    Re: Swiss/Swedish helmet cover?

    Post by Bury_Dave on Wed Dec 05, 2012 6:11 am

    Yep, defo Swiss. No doubt in my mind.
    avatar
    CollectinSteve
    ADMIN
    ADMIN

    Location : New England, US
    Registration date : 2009-03-08
    Number of posts : 5920

    Re: Swiss/Swedish helmet cover?

    Post by CollectinSteve on Wed Dec 05, 2012 5:28 pm

    Absolutely Swiss, but not Swiss Very Happy Meaning it came from a Swiss issued Zeltbahn, but it was tailored by someone to look like a WW2 German helmet cover. Common practice in the earlier days of faking/reenacting.

    Steve
    avatar
    Easy Gee
    Colonel
    Colonel

    Name : Gary
    Age : 48
    Location : UK
    Registration date : 2010-06-12
    Number of posts : 3591

    Re: Swiss/Swedish helmet cover?

    Post by Easy Gee on Wed Dec 05, 2012 6:26 pm

    Gulf91 wrote:I would put 100% put my money on it being Swiss.

    Giveaway are the white dots in the pattern,otherwise identical to WW2 German Splinter Cammo.

    There are or were plenty of the Swiss Zeltbahns available-(this pattern was I believe used up until around 1955).

    Easy way to tell the difference between a WW2 German and Swiss Zelt is the Swiss ones are of a more square shape while the German ones are of a more triangular shape.

    Ok that's cool Gulf, I never knew the Swiss even produced a pattern like this, cheers Mate,I learned something new.

    I would have put money down,it was a repro German cover,good job I didn't,as my wallet would be significantly lighter now!!

    Gulf91
    Colonel
    Colonel

    Age : 46
    Location : Wales
    Registration date : 2011-05-13
    Number of posts : 3815

    Re: Swiss/Swedish helmet cover?

    Post by Gulf91 on Wed Dec 05, 2012 6:32 pm

    Easy Gee wrote:
    Gulf91 wrote:I would put 100% put my money on it being Swiss.

    Giveaway are the white dots in the pattern,otherwise identical to WW2 German Splinter Cammo.

    There are or were plenty of the Swiss Zeltbahns available-(this pattern was I believe used up until around 1955).

    Easy way to tell the difference between a WW2 German and Swiss Zelt is the Swiss ones are of a more square shape while the German ones are of a more triangular shape.

    Ok that's cool Gulf, I never knew the Swiss even produced a pattern like this, cheers Mate,I learned something new.

    I would have put money down,it was a repro German cover,good job I didn't,as my wallet would be significantly lighter now!!

    No worries Gary,was it for sale???

    These and other garments made from the same material do pop up regularly and to be honest do look good and unfortunately buying online and not in the flesh so to speak can be very tricky as hard to judge most times from online pics as to if Swiss or not so be VERY CAREFULL Cool
    avatar
    Easy Gee
    Colonel
    Colonel

    Name : Gary
    Age : 48
    Location : UK
    Registration date : 2010-06-12
    Number of posts : 3591

    Re: Swiss/Swedish helmet cover?

    Post by Easy Gee on Wed Dec 05, 2012 6:36 pm

    Thanks for the tip Gulf, I must admit if I sourced one of these I would be quite chuffed to own it, does look good on a Stahlhelm,but would be wary of paying to much.

    Which makes me wonder how much these things go for?

    Gulf91
    Colonel
    Colonel

    Age : 46
    Location : Wales
    Registration date : 2011-05-13
    Number of posts : 3815

    Re: Swiss/Swedish helmet cover?

    Post by Gulf91 on Wed Dec 05, 2012 6:39 pm

    Easy Gee wrote:Thanks for the tip Gulf, I must admit if I sourced one of these I would be quite chuffed to own it, does look good on a Stahlhelm,but would be wary of paying to much.

    Which makes me wonder how much these things go for?

    Guess it depends on if the seller is selling it for what it is- a repro/copy made from a Swiss Zelt or some shister trying to pass it off as original.

    Now,got me thinking,I have an old cover I bought many many years ago as an original,will have to try to find it and see what it was that I bought!!!!
    avatar
    CollectinSteve
    ADMIN
    ADMIN

    Location : New England, US
    Registration date : 2009-03-08
    Number of posts : 5920

    Re: Swiss/Swedish helmet cover?

    Post by CollectinSteve on Sat Dec 08, 2012 3:29 am

    I can't believe how many of these Swiss Zelts are still being sold on European eBay (in particular). A few years ago I knew a seller who would part with 20 at a time for cheap ($200 or so, IIRC). But the shipping costs to the US made that a really bad purchase decision!

    Note that there are several variants of the cloth. Some have VERY heavy yellow "drops", others hardly any. Which means it is sometimes difficult to spot the spots Very Happy

    Steve
    avatar
    Haydamaka
    Corporal
    Corporal

    Name : Andy
    Location : Odessa
    Registration date : 2016-02-12
    Number of posts : 49

    Re: Swiss/Swedish helmet cover?

    Post by Haydamaka on Sat Feb 13, 2016 5:11 pm

    In my humble opinion, this is the helmet cover of West German BGS (Bundesgrenzschutz), i.e. Border Guards.

    Sponsored content

    Re: Swiss/Swedish helmet cover?

    Post by Sponsored content


      Current date/time is Mon Oct 23, 2017 2:55 am