Wild Geese...

sh4pak
    Junior Lieutenant
    Junior Lieutenant

Registration date : 2012-04-23
    Number of posts : 626

Wild Geese...

Post by sh4pak on Thu Dec 06, 2012 7:03 pm

--Alright, so... it was one of those movies that was playing in the background when I was a kid, while I was playing in the foreground, and annoying my dad. Until a couple of days ago, I'd not sat and watched the whole thing, which I actually feel a little silly for. I actually liked it a lot.

My question to y'all regards the shirts that they were wearing-- the collared, uniform shirts.

I recently bought a shirt from an ebay seller that was supposedly SADF Nutria, but had no such markings when it arrived. The manufacturer's tag reads VEKA, or VEK A (hard to tell) 1987, and beyond that, there's little else to it. What made me *especially* dubious were the buttons, which have a dark pearlescent quality to them. (Google searches in both English and Dutch don't bring back anything useful for "VEKA," or "VEK A.")

I figured that this meant a total bummer.

Then, I watch the commando movie, and I see that the shirts being worn were of a similar color, and seem to have similar buttons. Shiny, as they shouldn't be. Pearl-like.

I realize that the movie came out in 1979, and not 1987-- so that's enough for disqualification right there~ but, *why on earth* would anyone making any kind of combat shirt, be it for mercenaries, or for national troops, or even people making movies about either, opt for such sniper-bait?

Does anyone know enough about these things as to be able to tell me more?
    Tommo
    Senior Sergeant
    Senior Sergeant

Name : Rory Thompson
    Registration date : 2011-07-21
    Number of posts : 341

Re: Wild Geese...

Post by Tommo on Fri Dec 07, 2012 11:56 am

The Wild Geese, with Roger Moore, Richard Burton...?

Post pictures of your shirt! Smile
    sh4pak
    Junior Lieutenant
    Junior Lieutenant

Registration date : 2012-04-23
    Number of posts : 626

Post by sh4pak on Fri Dec 07, 2012 3:40 pm

--AND-- Richard Harris.

Evidently both Richards did not drink alcohol whilst filming, and many of the cast members were actual accomplices of Mike Hoare... who was also the "adviser" for the production.

Anyway... yeah, I'll post pix this evening. I hadn't originally intended this post to be a "can you ID me," more of a trivia discussion.

Cheers,

--D.

Gulf91
    Colonel
    Colonel

Registration date : 2011-05-13
    Number of posts : 3817

Post by Gulf91 on Sat Dec 08, 2012 5:04 am

Funny you should mention Wild Geese,only just bought the DVD and has loads of extras,interviews on it.
    Easy Gee
    Colonel
    Colonel

Name : Gary
    Registration date : 2010-06-12
    Number of posts : 3591

Post by Easy Gee on Sat Dec 08, 2012 7:09 am

Yeah,great film, and from a camo geek point of view, I enjoy trying to identify the uniforms worn in the film.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Dec 17, 2017 6:11 pm